GPS/Mobile holder

Postby Pushy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:52 pm

Anyone needing one of these
http://gadget.brando.com.hk/prod_detail ... d_id=00457

I have no association with the site

Les

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:44 am

Isn't part of the pleasure of cycling being away from your phone? And using an ipod is just dangerous because you can't hear what's coming up behind.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:13 pm

A working mobile is prolly the most versatile fixit tool you can carry. Just switch off till it hits the fan :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Brods1675 wrote:Isn't part of the pleasure of cycling being away from your phone? And using an ipod is just dangerous because you can't hear what's coming up behind.
That is complete rubbish sir.
Unless you have noise cancelling headphones on...
You should be able to hear background noise even while listening to music.
I listen to music all the time when riding on my minidisc, and I have no problem hearing background noise.
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:18 pm

HyperHorse wrote:
Brods1675 wrote:Isn't part of the pleasure of cycling being away from your phone? And using an ipod is just dangerous because you can't hear what's coming up behind.
I listen to music all the time when riding on my minidisc, and I have no problem hearing background noise.
Can't say I agree Hyper - while technically you can hear things, the distraction is such that I personally feel they do stop you hearing the background noise. That's just my experience but I certainly would not rate either your experience or Brods' experience as 'complete rubbish'.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:48 pm

How DO you ride a minidisc? :twisted:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:53 pm

HyperHorse wrote:I listen to music all the time when riding on my minidisc, and I have no problem hearing background noise.
I always take the mobile with me on rides and set it to silent. I've tried listening to my ipod a couple of times on rides, but personally find it more of a nuisance and a distraction. personally, I much prefer to hear me gasping for breath.

So Hyper, are those minidisc's comfy or do you get a sore bum after riding them for a couple of hours :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

europa

Postby europa » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:59 pm

inaminit wrote:personally, I much prefer to hear me gasping for breath.
So THAT's why I can't hear semi-trailers behind me :roll:

Richard

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:40 pm

My minidisc player is quiet small.
Only uses 1 AA battery to run..
Why would it be anywhere near my rear end?
I don't work atm so i dont have the $$$ for flash cycling gear.
I just wear synthetic trackpants, with zippered pockets.
Anyway It's probaly around the same size as a mobile phone, except its square.
Only around 100grams or so..
I can still hear traffic and so on while im listening to music.
I find listening to music while riding quite enjoyable and motivating.
And i dont plan on changing this habit.
I dont have it at ridiculously high volume..
I certainly dont take my eyes off the road/surroundings..
Especially when im going at the speeds i go at...
Hope that clears it up for everyone.
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:34 am

It does make sense, and you're entitled to your own opinion on this.

Personally, I do think that even at very low volume, it provides something else for the mind to focus on, instead of the road conditions and surrounding noise. While it may not be completely distracting, it will take away a small fraction of concentration, which I feel would be better utilised minding the road. You may decide the difference headphones make is negligible, and carry on. I think it's not, and therefore don't use them.

Until someone with authority decides otherwise - weigh up the evidence, and make your own informed decision.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:00 am

HyperHorse wrote:Why would it be anywhere near my rear end?
Because you stated that you rode it .... see this comment "I listen to music all the time when riding on my minidisc,"

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:03 am

This (music whilst riding) has been discussed before in this thread.

Regards
Andrew

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:08 am

HyperHorse wrote:
I think this guy would disagree with you (if he was still alive)
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=35330

europa

Postby europa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:26 am

This is the first part of the story linked to by Tally
Gerardo Turrubiartes was apparently listening to an iPod with headphones while biking Sunday just west of Burlington, police said Monday.

The music drowned out the sounds of a rapidly approaching freight train that instantly killed the 42-year-old St. Charles resident, said Lt. Pat Gengler, a spokesman for the Kane County sheriff's department.

Police say Turrubiartes was heading north in a rural area on Engel Road, crossing Canadian National Railroad tracks near Plank Road at 5:35 p.m.

Officials believe Turrubiartes biked the 11-mile ride from St. Charles to the area just west of Burlington, said Kane County Coroner Chuck West.

There were no warning lights or gates at the railroad crossing, just a wooden sign that marks the tracks.
Man, he must have had them turned up loud or using ear buds or something. And he wasn't a novice or wannabe rider either - well known in the cycling world and had done many races.

Something I found with my own experiments, was that air rush was the big problem. I bought some ear buds, and they're brilliant (now that I've broken them, I miss them terribly) but they were so good, there's no way I'd ride with them on the road. Even just one plug in an ear is too much for this little black duck. But then again, I get all the entertainment I need inside my own head and in the world around me and don't miss the extra 'entertainment'.

I'm not judging - this is a very personal thing but like speed, I think it's something you have to think very carefully about.

Richard

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:31 am

tallywhacker wrote:I think this guy would disagree with you (if he was still alive)
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=35330
I wonder if he was blind as well?

Whilst I no longer support wearing Ipods etc when riding or walking for that matter, I really do find this sort of article and the premise that the wearing of the "Ipod" was the fault at best questionable.

Going by the article, it was a rail crossing .... one without warning bells, barriers etc therefore the cyclists should have checked it was safe to cross, that is used his eyes. Same applies to the guy in Melbourne hit crossing the road.

Seems this cyclist is dead because he didn't look to ensure it was safe to cross. Had he not been wearing the Ipod he may have heard the train, but would have still stopped and looked to ensure it was safe to cross? That we will never know sadly.

Regards
Andrew

europa

Postby europa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:36 am

You'd be amazed what people walk out in front of. I was near to hand when a bloke walked out in front of a steam train a few years ago. True, he was retired but apparently very fit. Loved walking which was what he was doing. Stepped right out in front of this steam train, apparently didn't see it.

I think this is why I'm very wary of any distraction - there are too many delectable distractions walking along the footpaths (especially in summer :wink:)

Us humans are proof that Darwinian principals are in place and operating, but so far cast doubt about their effect on improving or killing the species 8)

Richard

(when things slow down and we get sick of puncture games, maybe we should have our own Darwin awards ... without the requirement that the person involved remove anyone from the gene pool).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:58 am

europa wrote:I think this is why I'm very wary of any distraction
I think you have good point here ... maybe it is more about being distracted, lost in the music and so on than "hearing."

Without the music hopefully one is taking more notice of what is happening around the place, unless of course one is day dreaming :wink:

Andrew