Commuter world, post your ride here.

Fletcher

Re: Great Commuter Bikes

Postby Fletcher » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:37 pm

ve safari wrote: If I had a locker at work things would be a lot easier...
Tell me about it. There are ten lockers in our basement. They are awarded about as frequently as the Victoria Cross.

Nice ol bike btw, Valiant man. Is the frame paint original?

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Cheers Fletch - frame paint is original. She looks better onscreen than in real life, and has a fair few scratches on her that don't really show up in the little picture. Another thing that I like is that I'm not too precious about little mark that she might receive, or leaving her parked in the basement carpark at work. Different story with my carbon bike.

I intend on respraying her later this year, in a light blue colour with new decals. I'm sure that I'll get precious with how she is kept and parked when that happens, but she deserves a bit of a tidy up. Watch this space.

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:37 pm

ve safari wrote:Here's my rig - 1988 Cannondale ST700. Comfy, strong, reliable.

Nice one! 8)

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 pm

As she sits in that picture - 20.88kg... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I can't wait to get my 8kg bike back and go for a blat.

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 am

ve safari wrote:As she sits in that picture - 20.88kg... :shock: :shock: :shock:

That'll keep you fit.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:51 pm

I bought my Masi for Audax rides but am finding it to be an excellent commuter bike. I am currently using the pedals that came with the bike. For an off the shelf bike, I am surprised it is so good as a commuter. Even the saddle is very comfortable with my longest ride being around 120km. The only thing I have done is add lights and a saddle bag.

It actually makes a better commuter than tourer (which is what I bought it for). To make it a good tourer for Perth, I need lower gears. I have purchased an ultegra triple to give me the lower gears I need and when it is installed the bike should be good to go as a commuter or tourer.
<removed by request>

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:00 pm

Nice Masi. Is it Cr-Mo?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:08 pm

rkelsen wrote:Nice Masi. Is it Cr-Mo?
It is. And it is lighter than my Repco Superlite too 8)

Come to think of it, I haven't had a chance to find out what the frame really feels like because I am running 32mm tyres which soak up bumps and dull the roughness of the road. I will be interested to see what the frame is like compared to the Superlite once I have fitted comparable wheels (23mm tyres). I do like the softness of the ride with 32mm tyres but they are harder to push, which does not make any difference on my commute (9km) or training rides <60km, but on a 100km or 200km ride, they are more tiring.
<removed by request>

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: It is. And it is lighter than my Repco Superlite too 8)

Come to think of it, I haven't had a chance to find out what the frame really feels like because I am running 32mm tyres which soak up bumps and dull the roughness of the road. I will be interested to see what the frame is like compared to the Superlite once I have fitted comparable wheels (23mm tyres). I do like the softness of the ride with 32mm tyres but they are harder to push, which does not make any difference on my commute (9km) or training rides <60km, but on a 100km or 200km ride, they are more tiring.
Well greg my bike weight is catching up to yours :) I'm about to get a slower set of tyres on, 700 x 38 :( Need em for my Esperance - Perth ride. I'm very suprised at my Masi as well. It is turning out to be a great all rounder. Good commuter, good traininer, good day tourer, good supported tourer, looks like great self supported touring as well. That is what I am setting it up for right now, will post photos when complete :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

lang

Postby lang » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:06 pm

^ Nice Speciale!

Here's my "commuter". I decided that I should use my roadie for commuting, otherwise I'll end up hardly riding it. So I bought some cheap Racing 7 wheels to bash around, Crud mudguards and an Ortlieb saddle bag to carry my lunch and shirt. Of course it still serves as my training bike. :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:28 pm

lang wrote:^ Nice Speciale!

Here's my "commuter". I decided that I should use my roadie for commuting, otherwise I'll end up hardly riding it. So I bought some cheap Racing 7 wheels to bash around, Crud mudguards and an Ortlieb saddle bag to carry my lunch and shirt. Of course it still serves as my training bike. :)
Sorry to correct you, that is a Randoneur, not a Speciale, mine is a Speciale :)

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 am

Lang, your mudguards look very flashy, all sleek and un-noticeable.

Donald

ps, nice cat, here puss puss puss :lol:
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

lang

Postby lang » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks beauyboy. Yeah, that's the neighbour's pedigree cat.

Apologies Baalzamon. I was lead to believe by the Masi website that it's a "speciale randonneur". Regardless, I want one! :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 am

lang wrote:Thanks beauyboy. Yeah, that's the neighbour's pedigree cat.

Apologies Baalzamon. I was lead to believe by the Masi website that it's a "speciale randonneur". Regardless, I want one! :)
My apologies as well lang, tis a speciale randonneur as mine is a speciale cx :oops:
My cx was what gave greg the idea for his Masi, glad to see I'm passing the bug along :)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
lang wrote:^ Nice Speciale!

Sorry to correct you, that is a Randoneur, not a Speciale, mine is a Speciale :)
Yours is a Speciale CX, mine is a Speciale Randonneur (http://www.masibikes.com/tab4_subNav2.php) :wink:
<removed by request>

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Masi bikes are so hot :D:D

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:34 pm

My 'muter. Pic taken last weekend. New rear tyre on it now, and the chain is clean :oops:

Thumbnail to the full pic. I'm not savvy enough to know how to reduce the size of pics yet.
It's an Avanti Blade 4. I've upgraded the saddle, tyres, installed mudgards, lights, mirror and 'puter. It's very comfortable though not light(over 12kg in its current state), and it's fast enough for the commute. I do like riding it :)

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:00 pm

A pretty good looking bunch of commuters here :D

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 am

martinjs wrote:A pretty good looking bunch of commuters here :D

Martin
Yep, very much so. I'm impressed. It's interesting to see the variety of steeds people use for the daily grind. I'm suprised no folding bikes, single speeds or fixies have been posted - then again ss & fixies have their own corner to play in.

gene

Postby gene » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:30 am

hi guys im pretty new here.
not from australia but singapore.
i recently acquired a 80s ken evans racer which im building up which actually lead me to this forum.
id say not many cycle to work in singapore but we're lucky enough to have bike lodging.

and this is my commuter. (i just put egg beats on em)

rusteh

Postby rusteh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi all, my 1st post so bear with me. Here is my daily commuter and general around town bike, I bought it about 12 months ago after not owning a bike since I was a teenager and I'm really loving it, its cheaper, its healthier and I love tinkering. Excuse the iPhone pic...

Bike is a 2008 Jamis Coda Sport, mods are as follows.

Brooks B17 Imperial
Tioga Rack
Tioga Barends
Tioga Panniers (regret this purchase, should have bought Ortliebs but hadn't discovered wiggle at the time)
Serfas Fenders
Cateye lights and speedo

Next addition I'm looking at is SPD pedals and shoes, I'm thinking Shimano M324 and dhb M1 MTB shoes, opinons?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:41 pm

G'Day Rusteh, welcome outside.

Sweet looking scoot that, there's something sleek about Jamis frames.

Why do you want the 324 pedals? Do you plan on quick milk bar runs in street shoes? Making sure the twin sided pedals are facing the right way can be a PITA in stop start traffic.
For mine, M520s make a good all rounder.
If you really want a platform for short hops, maybe M424s might be a better idea. On sale at T7 for sub $50 ATM. LINK. Shoes are too personal an item for me to make a real call on.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Got the same bike Rusteh but the 07 Model I think - RED

Done quite a few conversions though
Tiagra gear throughout now
External Bottom Bracket
And jsut finished the ultimate conversion
Carbon Drop bars with Shimano STI levers
New 59mm Tektro brakes
All new cabling throughout
Had a lot of fun toing the conversion and absolutely love it

Was gonna drop my Jamis and go a new Roadie - but with all my commuting - this bike just ROCKS !
And this week its been raining solid every day (well for weeks) and my Jamis just copes with it....
Just a quick wipe down - oil up and she's away for another 70kms
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

janus77

Postby janus77 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Have seen quite a few Kona bikes on here. I've been commuting on a Kona Dew for about 2yrs. For a bike that came in under $600 new at the LBS, i couldn't be happier, it's been faultless really. I even did a tour from Tamworth to byron on it, with no probs at all. I've put M520 pedals on, 25mm Vitorria Zafiro tyres (for $7 each from c r c on special), and i've recently aquired a Carradice post mount bag, replacing the racks and bag i was using.. still undecided though, the Carradice is not as large as i'd hoped, so getting all my stuff in is a bit of a squeeze, though i do appreciate the aerodynamics. Panniers annoy me, feel slow.

Giggidy for commuting!

rusteh

Postby rusteh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Mulger bill wrote:G'Day Rusteh, welcome outside.
Why do you want the 324 pedals? Do you plan on quick milk bar runs in street shoes? Making sure the twin sided pedals are facing the right way can be a PITA in stop start traffic.
For mine, M520s make a good all rounder.
If you really want a platform for short hops, maybe M424s might be a better idea. On sale at T7 for sub $50 ATM. LINK. Shoes are too personal an item for me to make a real call on.
Hi Shaun, I was looking at the M424s but the reviews I've read say that the clip still digs into your foot and doesn't sit below the cage, my work commute is only 2.5km so I just wear my work shoes, the clipless would be just for weekends and touring. Is there any particular reason you would recommend them over the M324?
ajh003 wrote: And jsut finished the ultimate conversion
Carbon Drop bars with Shimano STI levers
I'd be keen on doing this conversion myself, how much did it set you back? Have you got any photos of the completed rig?

Edit: I found your original thread on the conversion, did you use travel agents for your brake issues, or change to road calipers?