eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

brentono

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby brentono » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:47 am

rustychisel wrote:
toff wrote:An interesting motorpace bike from Switzerland... I wonder what those 2 extra supports are for? Wind vibration?
The others you can keep, what is that titanium thing anyway? but that motorpace bike is just brutal. I'd need to be at 40kmh just to spin the crank over and I'd never get it turning anyway. Eeeek.

The supports are just that, bracing against the rather serious forces on a banked track when hitting the curves at 80kmh. One slipping bar stem and it's all over. Which brings me to ask, is that a Campagnolo Sheriff Star front wheel hub radially laced???? I'm sorta wondering at the stiffness of the build and the forces it would have to endure. Scary S***.
Rustychisel,
On your wheels- You run fuse-wire round and round (many times) on the cross-overs, and solder... that strengthens 'em up. Radial Spoked?
Cheers,
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Pedalhead

Postby Pedalhead » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Get the tissues out, this will make you cry .........................................................

with laughter :cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen:

Item number: 280440754070

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:44 pm

sydneypeddler wrote:Get the tissues out, this will make you cry .........................................................

with laughter :cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen:

Item number: 280440754070
ta.... :|

now i have to clean spagetti, out my keyboard... of my monitor... out of my nose...
Andrew

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Lark2004 wrote:now i have to clean spagetti, out my keyboard... of my monitor... out of my nose...
What ?! Not KFC ?!

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:39 pm

no.... not KFC..... even though I can't get my GLW onto a decent bike, she at least doesn't have a fat backside.... :wink:
Andrew

slammed

Postby slammed » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Hey guy's,

times are tough and have had to list a couple of my bikes on fleabay!

cheers
jeff
Last edited by im_no_pro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: links removed - promoting your own ebay auctions is against forum rules
2009 Scott Aspect 10
Malvern Star Skidstar GT

toff

Postby toff » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm

I think these cranks could be breaking some records with respect to price!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:45 pm

toff wrote:I think these cranks could be breaking some records with respect to price!
The sad part is that they'll end up on some moron's fixie. :(

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:45 pm

Pedalhead wrote:Get the tissues out, this will make you cry .........................................................
Q: Can you post a picture of your wife's ass so I can compare it to my wife's ass. Thanks.
A: It won't fit on the camera, but feel free to post yours.
Image Image

I posted the link on facebook...... gotta share the lol's
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 am

rkelsen wrote:
toff wrote:I think these cranks could be breaking some records with respect to price!
The sad part is that they'll end up on some moron's fixie. :(
Not likely, the chain ring would likely be the desirable aspect pushing the bidding so high:
ebay wrote:28 teeth blockchain chainring.
Can't use that on ya fixie (though the cranks would work just fine). No fixie guy would bid that hight when they can get similar looking (to the casual observer) campy cranks for a lot less.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm

brendan03 wrote:Not likely, the chain ring would likely be the desirable aspect pushing the bidding so high:
ebay wrote:28 teeth blockchain chainring.
Can't use that on ya fixie (though the cranks would work just fine).
Block chain in the 50's? Could it be a skiptooth ring?
brendan03 wrote:No fixie guy would bid that hight when they can get similar looking (to the casual observer) campy cranks for a lot less.
Dunno man. This wouldn't be the first time a hipster has paid too much for something they probably can't use...

slammed

Postby slammed » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Another Skidstar on the Bay,
looks very neat!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT
2009 Scott Aspect 10
Malvern Star Skidstar GT

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 pm

slammed wrote:Another Skidstar on the Bay,
looks very neat!

He's dreamin!

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:09 pm

rkelsen wrote:
slammed wrote:Another Skidstar on the Bay,
looks very neat!

He's dreamin!
Someone should pour icey water over his head and get him out of bed.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:42 pm

bargain colnago up on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Colnago-80s-road ... 4a9e039f63

what a steal :wink:

toff

Postby toff » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:48 pm

lethoso wrote:bargain colnago up on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Colnago-80s-road ... 4a9e039f63

what a steal :wink:
Good pickup lethoso. That's one of those ultra rare early models, made of gaspipium. And I those hubs appear to be the ultra hard-to-find disintigratium ones. I know Campag experimented with similar materials in the early 70s, mixing it with titanium for their bottom brackets and hub axles. What engineers were not aware of back then was the explosive instability of gaspipium when it came into contact with disintigratium. Warnings were issued by the hub manufacturers, but alas... too late to save most examples. Collectors of course, know that you should never insert these wheels into a a gaspipium frame. It makes the bike hard to ride, but let me add - these bikes are the wall hanging type, not the riding type! The warnings issued in the late 70s instructed owners to store their wheels in close proximity to quality pvc, or the hubs will deteriorate quickly, although not as explosively as in the presence of gaspipium. Thankfully the seller is aware of this and has taken proper care of them. I think this listing is going to attract alot of attention, especially if the seller will agree to pack the outdoor furniture with the bike. I would warn buyers against purchase if this condition is not met.

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:02 pm

So it's not a Colnago frame? Can you tell from the crappy pics, or is the crappy components that give it away?

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

toff

Postby toff » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:12 pm

ve safari wrote:So it's not a Colnago frame? Can you tell from the crappy pics, or is the crappy components that give it away?
Both.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:48 pm

toff wrote:
ve safari wrote:So it's not a Colnago frame? Can you tell from the crappy pics, or is the crappy components that give it away?
Both.
Give-aways (even to my highly untrained eye):
Lugs - Colnago lugs usually have little club symbols on them,
Fork crown - Not very Euro in appearance (in fact it looks like the fork from a hi-ten clunker), and again no club symbols on it,
Downtube shifters - On most if not all of the Colnagos I've seen, they've always been the brazed on type as opposed to the clip ons shown here,
Componentry - I don't think Colnago ever used Dia-Compe brakes, Sakae cranks or Hsinlung handlebars - but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

At least the sticker looks legit! :lol:

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:07 pm

WARNING - GIGGLE FACTOR SET TO HILARIOUS :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RARE-Vintage-700 ... 1c0f72c7df

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ouch ha ha ouch

toff

Postby toff » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:50 pm

rkelsen wrote:
toff wrote:
Both.
Give-aways (even to my highly untrained eye):
Lugs - Colnago lugs usually have little club symbols on them,
Fork crown - Not very Euro in appearance (in fact it looks like the fork from a hi-ten clunker), and again no club symbols on it,
Downtube shifters - On most if not all of the Colnagos I've seen, they've always been the brazed on type as opposed to the clip ons shown here,
Componentry - I don't think Colnago ever used Dia-Compe brakes, Sakae cranks or Hsinlung handlebars - but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

But at least the sticker looks legit! :lol:
The whole reason Colnago started using lugs with trefoils is because every man and his donkey was whacking stickers on erzatz frames and selling them as genuine Colnago. You have to go back to the 60s before you find a high-end Colnago without identifiable markings cut into the frame. If you know the Colnago timeline, there are clues all over every Colnago about its pedigree, and period of manufacture. It is usually possible to determine from looking at a Colnago frame what model it is, and its year of manufacture to with at least 5 years, even if it has been resprayed.

I won't discuss parts, except to say that it would be very unlikely for someone to remove all the high-end parts off a Colnago and replace them with the junk this bike is wearing. Parts on a frame will give you strong clues, but they cannot be considered conclusive. Even Colnago pantographed parts don't prove anything, especially with the dirth of fake panto'd parts all over fleabay these days.

This particular frame has the following giveaways (or at least very strong warning signs).

1) 3 top tube cable guides. Colnagos almost always have just 2 if they have them at all. Ernesto did not want to overstress the delicate tubing by heating it up to braze on an extra guide, so 2 is all you got with Colnago. The 2 guides are placed a considerable distance from the ends of the tubes, to cause the least amount of heat stress to the joints. If you see a 3 cable guides, you may still have a Colnago, but only if it is a ~1972 model. Colnago went to 2 cable guides very early (~1974). In the 1960s and the very early 70s there were no braze on cable guides, and riders clipped their top tube cables. Later models (~1988) top tube cables went internal.

So there are genuine Colnagos with 3 top tube cable guides, but they are very rare, and dripping with Colnago specific details. There is a good example on Fleabay right now. Don't worry about date the seller is quoting. He's wrong - it's about five year's earlier. If there are 3 cable guides on the top tube, you need to make sure that the deraulleur cable guides are brazed on the top of the bottom bracket, not under it. The orange one is therefore correct.

Apart from the top tube guides, Colnagos are creatures of their time. Early ones have few if any braze-ons. Late ones have braze ons for 2 bottle cages, downtube shifters, front derailleur, cable routing under or over the bottom bracket, internal cables, aero cables, brakes at the bottom bracket, etc. You can't tell a Colnago by whether it has a certain braze-on or not. That just dates it. However, certain styles og braze-ons do not belong on Colnagos. For example, have a look at this frame. It has all the hallmarks of being a 1973 Super, except that it has mid 90s paint, and some brazed-on cable guides that take the brake cable through the top tube. Those cable covers are not right for a Colnago. They look more Eddy Merckx than Colnago. It is clear that this is a 1973 Colnago frame that was customised for internal brake routing, and then sent back to Colnago for a repaint, probably sometime in the mid 90s.

2) Lugs. Colnagos all used quality cast lugs, not pressed lugs. Most framesets had at least one lug with a trefoil cutout, and usually there was another stamp or cutout on the frame somewhere. Colnago lugs typically have known shapes and are very recogniseable once you've seen a few. They are carefully filed too, not like the ugly lugs on the gaspipium frame. There were a couple of low-end Colnagos in the 80s without Colnago markings. The International and the Sport both had no markings, since it wasn't worth the effort to make fake versions of fairly low-end bikes. However, these bikes still had decent cast and filed lugs. It is interesting to note that the new steel Colnago singlespeed bike that came out this year, - called the Super of all things - has no trefoils on it, since it is made in Asia.

3) Paint. Part of making it hard for fraudsters to sell Colnagos was to paint on the brand name instead of using stick on decals. High end Colnagos will almost always have painted main tube brand identification. Some, like my 90s Tecnoses also have painted "Ernesto" signatures. In any event, Colnago paint is the good stuff, and so complicated as to make it too hard for anyone to bother counterfitting. Who would counterfit this paint job?
Image .Image
If you see Colnago stickers, not Colnago paint, it's caveat emptor!

4) Seatstay caps - usually unique enough to be recognised as Colnago, if not actually marked Colnago. I have no clue what is on those gaspipe bike's caps.

5) Dropouts (or ends) were pretty much always Campagnolo on Colnagos, not cheap pressed metal. They typically say "Campagnolo" on the back ones, and "Colnago" on the fork dropouts.

6) Fork crown is almost always marked with the brand, either on the outside, or on hidden tangs underneath. There have only been a handful of fork crowns ever used, and the gaspipe bike doesn't have one of the recognised shapes.

7) Colnagos don't come with eyelets for panniers or mudguards. Even low-end ones were built as pure racing machines, with racing geometry too, not relaxed seattube and headtube angles.

8) Probably a whole bunch more things that I don't remember, but which would jump out and smack me in the mouth if I were to see it on a bike... (Like the absence of a trefoil cutout under the bottom bracket on any pre 1990 Colnago.)

Everything I just said has exceptions. If you had the cash and wanted something customised on your bike, you could tell them, and your frame would get it, but in my experience the vast majority of frames do not break the Colnago rules. After all, Colnago prices made any factory customisation prohibitively expensive.

Feelthewheel, I am sure that is John Abeni's son Alan listing thats wheel, or at least one of the Europa cycles employees. I'm also pretty sure I've seen the wheel in the shop. I reckon it's a genine attempt to be honest, but perhaps they should check with the boss before they list huh? The fact is that the hub is a Colnago 30th anniversary hub. It's a very rare part, and worth every cent being asked. It is much rarer and more valuable than a Campag 1956 hub. I doubt it will go for what it's worth because it is mis-labelled. If anyone wants to make a buck, they can buy that wheel and list it again correctly. :mrgreen: I would have been all over it if it were a pair. (And this time I'm serious!)

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:22 am

Hello Toff. Thanks for the previous detailed posting on spotting "Clone-agos". As per the hub, yes I too immediately spotted it was a 30th anniversary hub. Hence the post. The bit that got me giggling (and I hope others) about that listing was the "made for 1956 Melbourne olympics!!!!!" claim. Definately agree on the decision to buy if there was a pair :D

slammed

Postby slammed » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 am

More Skidstar,
nice original unrestored bicycle,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UNRESTORED-MALVE ... 519004078c
2009 Scott Aspect 10
Malvern Star Skidstar GT

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:43 am

Cheers for the super detailed post Toff :)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:19 am

^^^^^ what he said. 8)

I love hearing this kind of detailed background information from afficionados.

Thanks Toff.