Mountain Bike shoes

pete82

Mountain Bike shoes

Postby pete82 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:06 pm

hi, Im thinking of buying a pair of clip-on mountain bike shoes and pedals. I ride my bike on the weekends only, mainly on road between 40 to 50 ks. The question I have is whether clip-on shoes make a difference to your riding, is pedaling more effective with them or is it just a waste of money?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Absolutely worth it.

Takes a little bit to get used to but you can put more power through them, they're more secure, and they're easier to get in and out of than toe clips.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:20 pm

My Black Beast is set up with SPD pedals and I wear shoes that I can walk in. I bought M324 pedals that have the clip on one side and a platforn on the other so I can ride them with normal shoes if I have to. I have done so and to lack of security compared to what I'm used to is so great that I nearly always take the trouble to change my shoes before leaping on the bike, even if I don't bother with anything else.

Yes, they are worth it.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:43 pm

G'day

Another vote for them. I wear Specialized MTB shoes with SPD cleats on Chase and Joe. I started out on Chase with pedals which had the cleat on one side and the platform on the other. I have now removed the platforms.

While I am not 100% sold on SPD cleat system I am sold on going clipless.

Regards
Andrew

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:45 pm

I want to get a set of clipless pedals and fanciful shoes for my the Catalyst, is there any preference on brand and where to get them from pr should i visit my LBS???

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:00 pm

Different brand shoes have different fits so you need to try them on. Personally I prefer Specialized over Shimano and haven't tried others.

Pedals are a bit of a personal thing too. Shimano SPD being the more popular, followed by Crank Bros Egg Beaters, then Time ATAC and lastly Speedplay Frogs. SPDs are probably a good and cost effective place to start.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Before buying the shoes do you have to confirm that the pedals and shoes are going to match...?

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:25 pm

Jumping on the shoe questions -

I bought a pair of these last night from the lbs as my first clipins

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProd ... spid=26151

phark my right foot was sore after getting off the bike, left was fine. They are not overly tight when standing, so maybe it was just the solid sole that put pressure on my foot when riding. Pain started under the foot and then went over to the top when I took the shoe off. The shoe will loosen up, but would this extra hardness on a road shoe account for the pain probs?

p.s. pain went away after a few minutes

The lbs guy suggested not to get mtb shoes as they were too soft in the sole and thus lost much of the gains of getting clipins? comments on that?

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:44 pm

gsxrboy wrote:The lbs guy suggested not to get mtb shoes as they were too soft in the sole and thus lost much of the gains of getting clipins? comments on that?
That's utter !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. Young kid was he? Only rides racers?

As for the sore feet - you had your shoes done up too tight. They'll feel quite loose when just standing and when your feet are cold, but it's amazing how much they swell once you start riding.

My first ride with clipless lasted about 3km at I couldn't press the pedals at the end of it. A few more pain filled trips and I was back at the lbs with tears threatening ... until they gave me some lessons in how to do them up. Not a hint of a problem now unless I do them a tad tight. Interestingly, thin socks are better than thick socks too. I've gone to ankle socks with just a little extra padding along the bottom and sides, but even my very thin socks work very well.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Birdman wrote:Before buying the shoes do you have to confirm that the pedals and shoes are going to match...?

Mitch.
Virtually all cleats are 2 hole or 3 hole (there are some exceptions). You need to buy the appropriate shoe for the type of pedal you have or buy shoes that are multifit.

Edit: MTB shoes are 2 hole.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:50 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Birdman wrote:Before buying the shoes do you have to confirm that the pedals and shoes are going to match...?

Mitch.
Virtually all cleats are 2 hole or 3 hole (there are some exceptions). You need to buy the appropriate shoe for the type of pedal you have or buy shoes that are multifit.

Ok when i hear cleats i am led to think of cricket cleats... :roll: .

If i get MTB shoes i will need to also get new pedals...correct???

Mitch.

Until next time...

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:51 pm

And following on from the mtb vs road shoe bit - yes, road shoes can have far stiffer soles, it's the comment about mtb shoes being unsuitable that fired me up.

Richard

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:56 pm

Hey Richard Aren't you firey today champ???
:lol:
Mitch.

Until next time...

pete82

Postby pete82 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:05 pm

Hey Richard, im from southern adelaide as well, noarlunga exactly. Would you recommend any of the shops down south?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:23 pm

Birdman wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:

Mitch.

Ok when i hear cleats i am led to think of cricket cleats... :roll: .

If i get MTB shoes i will need to also get new pedals...correct???

Mitch.
Yes, unless your pedals already have the mechanism for accepting the cleat then you will need new pedals.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:27 pm

pete82 wrote:Hey Richard, im from southern adelaide as well, noarlunga exactly. Would you recommend any of the shops down south?
G'day Pete,

Didn't see you sneak in. Welcome to the nuthouse. David A is from our end of town too, and he's always looking for someone to drag him out on the bike (bit like me).

Bernie Jones Cycles on Diagonal road - right next to the railway line on the opposite side of it to Marion. Brilliant shop that gets most of my business.

Further in towards the city but up on South Road is Revolution (on your right, about half a mile before the overpass if you're heading into the city) - they are also very good though BJ is a bit more general.

JT on Brighton Road seem helpful but suffer from being a bit too fixed on racers for my liking. Always worth a look and see because they have tried to help me ... even though they've never managed to sell me anything.

Wouldn't give you two bob for Standish at Morphett Vale - run by kids with a kid's narrow mindset.

The shop on Anzac Hwy at Glenelg are worth visiting too - they sold my son his Giant and have managed to flog me some bits and pieces. First bloke to ever sensibly talk me through the various ranges of mtbs was there.

And we can't forget Bicycle Express in the Halifax St in the city - you owe yourself a visit in there one day, they are huge.

Richard

pete82

Postby pete82 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:39 pm

thanks Richard, you're being very helpful. How much would i pay for a decent pair of shoes and pedals without being ripped off? I only ride on weekends so im not looking for the best ones but i dont wanna get some crap ones either.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:49 pm

I bought some M324 pedals off ebay recently for about $50 - they were brand new, being sold by an ebay shop in the US.

Torpedo7 and PBK often have specials on shoes but you have to watch sizing (my son's new road shoes fit ... well, they will next season :roll:)

But to be honest, just going into a bike shop and getting fitted properly is the best way. Shoe fit in bike shoes is different to shoe fit for walking and I think you are best served to go to a shop the first time. Take your bike and get them to fit the cleats and set it all up. You'll pay a bit more but you'll also be getting some good service.

Richard

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:10 pm

Hey pete, was in JT cycles brighton the weekend and they had some shoes in the sale. On the far left I think as you walk through the door. Can't be exact on what types but I remember seeing a pair of specialized that caught my eye. Have got a pair of specialized road and Mtb shoes and find them really good.

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:35 pm

i use me specialized mtb comp shoes on me road bike as well as me mtb

i dunno who told u that u lose too much flex in sole, but in reality, you do but not to an extent to warrant not to use em....

goin clipless from platform is gonna giv u a noticable amount of (positive) difference - whether u get a mtb or road specific shoe.

unless ur gonna ONLY be doin road ridin, then i wouldn't worry one bit about usin mtb shoes with road bike

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:40 pm

Wanta-bike wrote:unless ur gonna ONLY be doin road ridin, then i wouldn't worry one bit about usin mtb shoes with road bike
Not quite - only road riding with no walking. That's a significant difference, unless you want to carry shoes around with you (and coming up to summer, it's not hard to stick a pair of thongs or sandles in your back pocket), but I love the flexibility of not having to worry about shoes or walking.

Richard

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:09 pm

i dont usually react to this but....
europa wrote:
Wanta-bike wrote:unless ur gonna ONLY be doin road ridin, then i wouldn't worry one bit about usin mtb shoes with road bike
Not quite - only road riding with no walking. That's a significant difference, unless you want to carry shoes around with you (and coming up to summer, it's not hard to stick a pair of thongs or sandles in your back pocket), but I love the flexibility of not having to worry about shoes or walking.

Richard
well now aren't we gettin a a bit picky?

of course your gonna have to do some amount of walkin regardless of which shoes u get - unless u plan on takin ur shoes off EVERY time u unclip....

true, i was generalising when sayin that unless you want/need a specific shoe, then a mtb shoe will suffice for both mtb and road bike

however, if u do not want to lose one bit of energy thru flex in sole, then get urself a look keo pedal (can even go uber swank with Ti spindle....) with zero degree float, wind the tension up really tight, even add toe cage on ur pedal, so that there's no way ur not gonna be able to pull up on pedals and if u happen to somehow clip out accidentally, then there's the security of the toe cage....

tho this is NOT the case for many (all?) of us here - we're just after a shoe/pedal combination that givs a good stable platform to use with minimal hassle.

mtb shoes are a good alternative to road specific shoes because of their recessed cleat postion, so u dont get that 'clunk' of road shoes and wear the cleat down (in comparison to road shoe) if you do happen to walk in em. weight wise, they're comparable, tho there are many carbon soled road shoes that obviously offer less weight and more stiffness

fit wise, many roadies like to have their shoes a bit tighter compared to their mtb shoe - for means of not losing any 'precious power' thru your foot movin in the shoe. tho this amount is so insignificant for most that are both mtb and road riders, that it really isn;t worth gettin a new shoe over - tho AGAIN, this is a generalisation, and i know that their are many riders that do hav 2 sets of shoes for mtb and roadie

i could go on more, but its useless.... it all comes down to what YOU'RE comfortable with and what YOU prefer to ride in. all the advice in the world will definately sway your decision to either get a road specific shoe, or just use a mtb shoe and pedal combo on both bikes. practicality also comes into consideration too....

now for arguement's sake and being picky.....
europa wrote:....but I love the flexibility of not having to worry about shoes or walking.....
so what do u wear? bare feet? what do you do when u get off bike?

<END RANT>

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Ahhh ha Richard's doing his MTB pedal rave, Wanta-bike there is too, they both like the same thing but somehow don't agree... ;)

Isn't the internet grand?

PS you should re-read what Richard's been posting cause he's not saying MTB shoes are bad. :D

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:50 pm

yeah all good

suppose just felt like lettin loose for once....

i value everyones opinions and views; some things are for some ppl, others not so much

i guess thats what makes cycling - and life - so interesting: ITS SO DIVERSE

anywho, gonna read up more on bike frames now....

peace out 8)

jon

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:04 pm

Let's see.

About three times every fortnight, I ride my bike to the library ... and walk around for half an hour. I'd hate to do that in road cleats.

Every second sunday during soccer season, I ride to watch my son play soccer. That means spending about two hours at the soccer ground. I'd hate to do that in road cleats.

Much of my local shopping is done via bike, and that involves wandering around the hardware store, the fruiterers, the butchers, the post office, etc ... Id hate to do that in road cleats.

I recently took my wee doggie to the vets for his annual jabs, in his trailer. I'd hate to do that in road cleats.

I often ride to visit family and friends. Of course, I could take my shoes off when I get there, but I don't have to.

I often drive to my hopping off point for a ride. Of course, I could carry my bike shoes and change them when I start the ride, but I don't have to.

It is true, that many of my rides start and finish in my living room, with no major stop in the middle, but many do include a significant amount of walking and for walking and driving, I'm very happy with my mtb shoes and their SPD clips. They work very well on the bike too.

So I'm not sure that I'm being all that picky, the ability to walk in my riding shoes is very important to me ... and I'm not that sure that I'm at odds with Wanta-bike either.

There are members who only ever use their bike for riding, not for going somewhere and doing something. There's nothing wrong with that if that's what they want, but if you want your bike to be something more in your life, you either need shoes you can walk in or carry a spare pair of shoes, which is all I was saying.

The mtb system provides that extra flexibility.
So does the crank brothers system for that matter.

And none of that contradicts anything I've said before ... or what Wanta-bike said either.

Richard