The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Kev365428

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Driving into the Royal National Park on Tuesday via the Waterfall entry, saw a guy on a flat bar just at the top of the climb, weaving across the lane as he struggled to the top. Lucky the traffic was light, so little chance of a rear ender.

Oh, and he did have a helmet...............STRAPPED TO HIS BACKPACK.

Say What :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kev.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 pm

I've been tempted on occasion to take the helmet off on big climbs... but real cyclists don't need the additional cooling. :P
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

blkmcs

Re: I'm bored...

Postby blkmcs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:27 pm

twizzle wrote:Just one of those days...

Riding through a heavily traffic area and get caught behind a guy on a MTB - not safe to overtake, so I just sit in behind. Get past the next set of lights, overtake the MTB, and then get caught at the next red light. Light goes green, take off and start getting up to speed and suddenly there's a guy on a flat bar passing me, calling out that there is a bus behind. No shite sherlock, there's one about every minute on this section of road... but, I'll be nice and thank him for the advice. He pulls in front and now he's holding me up... but there's a broken down bus ahead, and traffic behind so I'll wait. We pass the broken bus, and when he pulls in I accelerate past him and say 'Bye'... only to get caught 400m up the road by yet another red light. Light goes green, start accelerating... and suddenly Mr Flat Bar Roadie is next to me AGAIN with a semi coming up behind us. :x I just got on top of the gear and left him for dead.

Hint to other riders : If you are slower than me, stop F'in overtaking just because you caught me as the lights turned green!
Why should other riders lose their momentum just because you can't time your approach to traffic lights? :P :D :lol:
Too old to live, too slow to die.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:46 pm

soc wrote:A few days ago I went out for a lunch-time walk and observed this guy riding a Bicycle-Shaped-Object down the footpath (bit of an decline and he had a bit of speed on), no helmet, dog attached to lead in his one hand on the bar, mobile phone up to ear in the other hand, ciggie hanging from bottom lip. He came to the bottom of the footpath and proceeded to turn to the right along the next footpath. There happened to be a street signpost on the corner, which he was on the right of, but his dog decided top go to the left of the post. Needless to say, dog leash got caught around the post, poor puppy came to abrupt halt, dude on BSO got whipped sideways, legs, arms, mobiles and ciggarettes went flying in all directions...

Am I a bad person for immediatley bursting out into laughter? No dogs were hurt in all the entertainment...
Not at all. It must have taken him years of study to get that slapstick down pat - it would have been rude not to laugh! :wink:
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:55 pm

blkmcs wrote:
twizzle wrote:Just one of those days...

Riding through a heavily traffic area and get caught behind a guy on a MTB - not safe to overtake, so I just sit in behind. Get past the next set of lights, overtake the MTB, and then get caught at the next red light. Light goes green, take off and start getting up to speed and suddenly there's a guy on a flat bar passing me, calling out that there is a bus behind. No shite sherlock, there's one about every minute on this section of road... but, I'll be nice and thank him for the advice. He pulls in front and now he's holding me up... but there's a broken down bus ahead, and traffic behind so I'll wait. We pass the broken bus, and when he pulls in I accelerate past him and say 'Bye'... only to get caught 400m up the road by yet another red light. Light goes green, start accelerating... and suddenly Mr Flat Bar Roadie is next to me AGAIN with a semi coming up behind us. :x I just got on top of the gear and left him for dead.

Hint to other riders : If you are slower than me, stop F'in overtaking just because you caught me as the lights turned green!
Why should other riders lose their momentum just because you can't time your approach to traffic lights? :P :D :lol:
Real cyclists don't coast to the next set of lights. Especially when the PowerTap averages the '0 watts' periods and shows you as being a lazy ass. Traffic lights are cool for sprint training, but suck when 'pedestrian on a bicycle' thinks they are the most important person in the world. The number of times I've had to wait to pass someone safely only for then to run the red or go around me at the next set of lights when they turn green... :x And if you elbow them in the head when you overtake next time, I'm sure it would go down badly... And what's with those people who ride on the on-road cycle lanes at 5km/h, looking like they are going to fall under a car at any second, while followed by 20 cyclists waiting for them to hurry up and do so? And if you really are faster than me, and need to overtake, how about calling 'bike back' or 'passing' before trying to lock handlebars as you squeeze between me and the B-double at 45km/h...??!?

I really should avoid other people in the morning.

WonkyWheels

Postby WonkyWheels » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Slow riders don’t slow you and traffic down; they are traffic and have every right to be on the road :lol:

didge

Postby didge » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:43 pm

twizzle wrote: Real cyclists don't coast to the next set of lights. Especially when the PowerTap averages the '0 watts' periods and shows you as being a lazy ass.
If traffic is disrupting your training routine, you might need to find somewhere else to train.
And what's with those people who ride on the on-road cycle lanes at 5km/h, looking like they are going to fall under a car at any second, while followed by 20 cyclists waiting for them to hurry up and do so?
What's with those cyclists who ride on the road at 30km/h, followed by 20 cars who are waiting for them to get out of the way? So much for share the road.
Traffic lights are cool for sprint training, but suck when 'pedestrian on a bicycle' thinks they are the most important person in the world.
Pedestrian on a bicycle? Not everyone is out there in the peak stage of their periodised training plan getting ready for their crit next month. Hardly need to mention the irony of the 'thinks themselves to be the most important on a bike' comment. I know you take competition and training seriously twizzle, but some people are just out there trying to get to work, or down to the shops, or just have fun on the bike. Attitudes like "I'm training, get the hell out of my way noob" do nothing to help the arrogant road cyclist sterotype. Seriously take it easy.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:57 pm

twizzle wrote:I really should avoid other people in the morning.
Only in the mornings???? :shock: :lol:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:52 pm

didge wrote:
twizzle wrote: Real cyclists don't coast to the next set of lights. Especially when the PowerTap averages the '0 watts' periods and shows you as being a lazy ass.
If traffic is disrupting your training routine, you might need to find somewhere else to train.
And what's with those people who ride on the on-road cycle lanes at 5km/h, looking like they are going to fall under a car at any second, while followed by 20 cyclists waiting for them to hurry up and do so?
What's with those cyclists who ride on the road at 30km/h, followed by 20 cars who are waiting for them to get out of the way? So much for share the road.
Traffic lights are cool for sprint training, but suck when 'pedestrian on a bicycle' thinks they are the most important person in the world.
Pedestrian on a bicycle? Not everyone is out there in the peak stage of their periodised training plan getting ready for their crit next month. Hardly need to mention the irony of the 'thinks themselves to be the most important on a bike' comment. I know you take competition and training seriously twizzle, but some people are just out there trying to get to work, or down to the shops, or just have fun on the bike. Attitudes like "I'm training, get the hell out of my way noob" do nothing to help the arrogant road cyclist sterotype. Seriously take it easy.
For a start, explore the concept of 'humour'. Secondly, work on the comprehension skills and don't take partial quotes out of context. It was quite clear from the words that I was talking about the cyclists that give everyone a bad name, the inconsiderate ones who merge without looking, run red lights and ride along ignoring the enormous traffic jam behind because they are too selfish to pull over for 30 seconds to let everyone else pass. Personally, I'm sick to f'in death of being the considerate person who obeys the road rules, doesn't hold vehicles up and has to put up with all of the shite from co-workers who always complain to me about red-light running, road rule ignorant 'cyclists'.

If you are empathising with these people - don't ride near me.

Edit: O.K. - that comes across as rather nasty on my part, but it pushed my buttons. Point being, I don't train on the road (ie. it's not where I do real training), I don't mind being held up... within reasonable limits, but I get really annoyed with someone on a bike who has no concept of sharing and safety. These people are few and far between... but unfortunately I come across at least one a day.
Last edited by twizzle on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 pm

ruscook wrote:
True - I can be a grump 24x7.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:31 pm

And those bloody lycra clad cyclists with their tippy tappy shoes...

(Caution : Twizzle is having a bad day and chanelling Magda).

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 pm

twizzle wrote:
ruscook wrote:
True - I can be a grump 24x7.
:D

Actually on selfish riders and drivers, I think you're giving them too much credit. To be selfish you need to think (of yourself true, but think nonetheless). I think most people are just plain thoughtless - in a literal sense, and therefore totally oblivious to whats going on around them unless it does something different "intrude" on their awareness... Still annoying etc...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13 pm

True - but you can usually pick the difference between the oblivious and the selfish riders. The oblivious ones tend to be cautious when they run the red lights, the selfish ones do it with total disregard to the traffic... a sort of 'run me over if you dare' attitude.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:46 am

So do you guys say anything to other (mostly commuter type) cyclists you see running red lights, not wearing helmet/dangling helmet from handlebars, riding against traffic on the road or not using lights while riding at night?

It frustrates me no end seeing other cyclists doing these things, not so much for their safety (it's their life if they don't value it then why should I care) but for the bad name they give other cyclists. I want to say stuff to them but I don't want to get into a punch-up and I'm sure a lot of them would have no clue that they are doing anything wrong so saying anything would be a complete waste of time.

I see so many cyclists doing this stuff and it's not your young teenage kids necessarily doing this stuff, it is often mature (?) adults that should know better.

Max

Postby Max » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:05 am

I don't say anything to them, for the most part, because I usually ride alone. I don't want to get into a punchup with someone who has enough disregard for their own wellbeing that they'd not wear a helmet. I figure if they don't care to protect their head, they won't mind getting hurt in a punchup. Me, on the other hand.. :oops:

If I'm with others, I might say something. But then again, why bother? I'd rather have fun riding than get angry. I figure Darwin will take care of it eventually.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:43 am

I don't bother saying anything anymore, I figure it's your $ if fined and your head if you fall off, but if I catch their eye I'll sometimes tap my helmet a couple of times to bring their attention to it. Otherwise I'll ignore them but I'll usually wave or nod to other cyclists, if their wearing a helmet of course.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Alycat

Postby Alycat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:06 am

Last year, we drove to the Netti sale, it was only a few weeks after I had bought my bike, and after reading this forum and discussions about bad bike riding. I was not driving and I took notice of bike riders when we approached red lights. I think we saw about 30 riders at lights, some jumped on to the footpath and just continued across the pedestrian crossing, some just turned left through the red light, and one even just kept riding across the road, forcing cars to stop. Not one (none, zilch) actually made any attempt to stop at the lights.
Problem with acronyms is one acronym can have several meanings.. so I joined USA, Unique Standard Acronyms which is enforcing one acronym=one meaning.... powerful group, I saw Obama is president...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:27 am

Ahhhhhrg! My eyes! My eyes!

To the guy on the MTB this morning around Lake Burley Griffin : Mate, GET RID OF THOSE KNICKS! I've seen flyscreen that provides more privacy! :shock:

Re. telling riders off - I used to make the occasional comment, but most people seem to have a certain deafness when they know they are doing the wrong thing.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 am

here's one I just had to shake my head at.
Man on bike riding against the traffic at peak hour without a helmet talking on the phone wearing a long sleeve jacket with one arm in a sleeve and the other sleeve dragging along the ground. Temporary Australian.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Bike Ninja early this morning at SOP (it was still dark). No helmet, dark clothes, no lights or reflectors. I was on the drops and briefly glanced up as a car was coming the other way (lights on) to see this vague shape about 20 metres away from me. Scared the cr@p out of me!

didge

Postby didge » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 pm

Saw a guy and a girl riding up the wrong side shoulder on Yarra Boulevard.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:06 pm

goneriding wrote:Bike Ninja early this morning at SOP (it was still dark). No helmet, dark clothes, no lights or reflectors. I was on the drops and briefly glanced up as a car was coming the other way (lights on) to see this vague shape about 20 metres away from me. Scared the cr@p out of me!
That's why I got ayups. nearly had a head-on with a ninja clown one evening on the Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation shared-use path.

SOP: Are you a bankie?

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Cyclist standing toe to toe and screaming into the face of a --- balloon pilot who had dared to land his balloon on the bike path.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:35 pm

SIGH....

When I read threads like this I start to wonder whether some people are right about arrogant cyclists. Twizzle being the king this attitude.

It shouldn't matter if somebody rides a flat bar roadie.
It shouldn't matter if somebody is smashing their pedals and sweating hard and only going 15kph.
It shouldn't matter if somebody chooses to not where a helmet.
It shouldn't matter if people overtake you.

triduck

Postby triduck » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:20 pm

A couple of weeks ago I saw someone riding on the footpath and not much later I saw someone pushing his bike on the road.
A wise man once said “The human spirit can overcome any obstacle.” That man had obviously never run a triathlon.