Giant CRX 2 or 3?

tatt2

Giant CRX 2 or 3?

Postby tatt2 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:41 pm

Hi all new to this site and am looking for some advice before i purcahse a new bike, own a mongoose hybrid which i bought new 6 months ago to get into the swing of riding a bike again while this was a good starting bike im now ready to move forward and the bikes that i like are the crx range, now this is where the trouble is i was looking at the 3 for price and quality but the dealer is pushing me towards the 2 as in better value for money, like everyone i want the best for what i can afford $1000 being the limit with dealer willing to sell me the 2 for just under the grand, should i buy the 3 and have a bit extra $ in the pocket or splurge on the 2 and have better quality, im only a social rider if that helps in peoples opinion...... Tatt2

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:54 pm

G'day Tatt,

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Without looking at the specs, it's a basic principle that you buy the best you can - you'll rarely regret it. However, in your case, I'd have a very close look at what else you need.

Do you have clipless pedals? To make the most of your riding, clipless pedals and cycling shoes are the best upgrade you can make ... but they cost. Of course, if you've already got them ...

Clothing. It's pricey. Is there stuff you need?

Tools. Got that good floor pump, plus on-bike pump plus tools and spare tubes?

Lighting. Do you need decent lighting and if so, the new high powered lights are worth looking at but cost a fair bit.

How about a computer and HRM?

So look at the other bits that might be eating at your budget, and ask yourself how many of them you can push down the buying track a bit.

Secondly, I'm never happy with any salesman who tries to push someone onto a particular bike. Go elsewhere if only to check that you aren't being diddled.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:06 pm

Thanks for the welcome Richard, have all the gear so wont need money for that side just wondering if there is a big difference between the 2 and the 3

triode12

Re: Giant CRX 2 or 3?

Postby triode12 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:22 pm

tatt2 wrote:Hi all new to this site and am looking for some advice before i purcahse a new bike, own a mongoose hybrid which i bought new 6 months ago to get into the swing of riding a bike again while this was a good starting bike im now ready to move forward and the bikes that i like are the crx range, now this is where the trouble is i was looking at the 3 for price and quality but the dealer is pushing me towards the 2 as in better value for money, like everyone i want the best for what i can afford $1000 being the limit with dealer willing to sell me the 2 for just under the grand, should i buy the 3 and have a bit extra $ in the pocket or splurge on the 2 and have better quality, im only a social rider if that helps in peoples opinion...... Tatt2
If you already own a Mongoose Hybrid, I would get a proper roadie like the OCR3 or 2 instead. The OCR3 costs about $700-800.

triode12

Postby triode12 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:22 pm

tatt2 wrote:Thanks for the welcome Richard, have all the gear so wont need money for that side just wondering if there is a big difference between the 2 and the 3
Depends on the model year of the bikes.
Are they 07 models or the newer 08 ones?

In the 08 range, the differences are minor, it would be better to get the CRX3.

The R500 wheelset, Tiagra rear derailleur and Sora two piece crankset will not make a difference in the ride quality of the bike.

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:02 pm

if u happen to be more inclined towards the CRX2, then it may be worthwhile considering then the Apollo Zap flatbar roadie that's goin for 'just under' a grand....

comparing the two (CRX 2 and Zap):

Zap has the following over the CRX:
- carbon forks 8)
- Easton stem, handlebars, and seatpost
- level up on front derailleur (tiagra as opposed to "FD-R453")
- level up on rear derailleur (105 as opposed to tiagra)
- Selle Italia FK Trans Am saddle (tho this arguable, depends on what YOUR bum likes)

the rest is pretty much the same

OH, happened to stumble across this tonite 2: free lock and helment....

http://www.bikes.com.au/p/318414/apollo-zap.html

anywho, just thought i'd giv some 'food for thought'

good luck in the decision

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the replys, thanks for the info on the apollo Wanta-bike but my mind is made up on a giant, after reading triode12 post i think i'll go for the 3...
cheers tatt2

lukas

Postby lukas » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:04 am

I've been riding the CRX 3 for a few months now and haven't had any issues with it. I don't really like the saddle, but as I'm upgrading to a drop bar in the very near future, I'm not too fussed.

triode12

Postby triode12 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:59 am

lukas wrote:I've been riding the CRX 3 for a few months now and haven't had any issues with it. I don't really like the saddle, but as I'm upgrading to a drop bar in the very near future, I'm not too fussed.
Yes I agree, I have a CRX1 and it has the same saddle.

I just purchased a San Marco Rolls saddle off PBK for $38. I hope it is much better on the old butt.

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:43 pm

Just to update, went to purchase the 3 ended up with the 08 2..

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:54 pm

Hehehe, always happens :)

There is a law, towards the back of the constitution somewhere, talking about taking a photo to show us your new ride. I just know you are a decent law abiding individual. 'Grats on the new pushy !

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 pm

tatt2 wrote:Just to update, went to purchase the 3 ended up with the 08 2..
Yeah, that'd be right :D You're not the first one to do that :roll:

Congrats

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

triode12

Postby triode12 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:15 pm

tatt2 wrote:Just to update, went to purchase the 3 ended up with the 08 2..
:lol: Congrats and welcome to the CRX fraternity.
What changed your mind?

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:00 pm

After taking both for a ride i found the 2 suited me better plus the better quality for the price , pick it up tomorrow will post a pic...lot different to the Mongoose hybrid ive been riding

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Nice one Tatt, you won't go wrong on a Giant :D

Time to clock up the Ks.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Nice, good pick up!

for some reason, flatbar roadies have been takin my fancy the past week or so.... maybe its cos i used to mtb heaps, and now road ride only.... so its a good mix of the two! 8)

happy riding!

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:30 pm

Picked the 2 up yesterday, nice to ride , put on a set of bars with a 35 mill rise, hated the flat bars that came with it, new pedals and speedo, will post pics in a few days when the site lets me (7 day thing)