Western Beaches Newbie

Cel

Western Beaches Newbie

Postby Cel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Hey guys,

I recently got my first road bike, and first bike since I was a young kid, so I am at the very amateur end of the spectrum.

I am on holidays in the country so the lack of traffic and stop lights have allowed me to practice clipping in etc without too much trouble. However I am back to the city soon and wondering if anyone can suggest any good rides, I am at about the 40-50km mark, in the Henley area? Not too much traffic would be a bonus. Also whats the best time to ride in the city?

Any other tips, ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated!

rustychisel

Re: Western Beaches Newbie

Postby rustychisel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:05 pm

ullo, welcome.

You cn't go wrong doing the coastal blitz just about any morning... up to Fort Glanville and back, up to Outer Harbour and round coming back through the Port, or cutting down to Semaphore. Any Saturday or Sunday morning you'll pick up some riding mates pretty soon, and the Cobwebs bunch go from Colley Reserve at Glenelg from 8am every Sat morning. They have groups from amateur to belter.

Mallacai

Postby Mallacai » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:12 pm

I ride in that area.

and easy 50k's ride for me is Seamphore Road to Glenelg and then out to Outer Harbour and then back to Semaphore Road.

Equals 50.5k round trip.
Travelling at the speed of slow

Cel

Postby Cel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Great thanks!

Hope to run into a few of you and perhaps make a few riding buddies!

The Bone Ranger

Postby The Bone Ranger » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 pm

The outer harbour ride is my regular weekend route. Just keep an eye out for doors opening down at Semaphore on a sunny weekend. Very few traffic lights make it a good route, plus who doesn't love being near the beach!

Andrew

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:18 pm

The wind has been a pain returning to glenelg this summer (Riding south bound)
so don't wear your self out getting to outer harbor

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Richard.L wrote:The wind has been a pain returning to glenelg this summer (Riding south bound)
so don't wear your self out getting to outer harbor
Major prize winner is Richard for correctly spelling Harbor!
May you have a tailwind all the way for your next ride.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Hmm dam firefox and its American language. I was thinking about the spelling too

EDIT: to not spam..

The link doesn't work?
Last edited by Richard.L on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:18 am

Richard, if you follow the link you will see that your spelling is indeed correct. All of SA's harbors do not have the 'U' in them.

AndyZ

Postby AndyZ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Another option is to try to make it to Hallett Cove - take the esplanade to Seacliff then across the train tracks to the bike track alongside Cove Road. Has a few hills and not a lot of traffic.

Also you could try the Southern Expressway - ride up Diagonal Road to the end then jump on the bike track. Nice hill at the start and then up and down but realtively safe - you can go as far as you want and then turnaround.

And then there is always Norton Summit or Crafers/Mt Lofty if you want to venture into the hills.

Good luck.
Current ride: 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite - upgrade to Ultegra and Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850 50mm Carbon Clinchers

matth

Postby matth » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:25 pm

AndyZ wrote:Another option is to try to make it to Hallett Cove - take the esplanade to Seacliff then across the train tracks to the bike track alongside Cove Road. Has a few hills and not a lot of traffic.

Also you could try the Southern Expressway - ride up Diagonal Road to the end then jump on the bike track. Nice hill at the start and then up and down but realtively safe - you can go as far as you want and then turnaround.

And then there is always Norton Summit or Crafers/Mt Lofty if you want to venture into the hills.

Good luck.
If you do the Hallet Cove ride you can then cross over the foot bridge at Hallett Cove Station, then follow the cycle path to Sheidow Park, Trott Park and join the Veloway along the Southern Expressway. Turn left to follow it back to Darlington join up with the bikeway along the Sturt Creek to Glenelg and head back to the Esplanade for the ride back up to Semaphore

Edit... this is part of the Coast To Vines ride