MTB-style pedals

stryker84

MTB-style pedals

Postby stryker84 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:25 am

For my flat bar roadie commuter.

Been considering the SPD style, mainly tossing up between the single sided M324, and the double sided M520/540. a distant possibility is the A520 one sided touring pedal.

M324, so i can use normal shoes. yes, i know it's not too hard to change into cycling shoes, but i'd still like the option.

M520/540, double sided, but would be slightly more difficult with normal shoes, though i know (i've tried on a friend's) over short distances, it's not really a problem (unless it's been raining, then it's near suicide!)

A520, touring pedal, larger contact area, less (but still some) hotspot. it is after all SPD style, if i wanted to eliminate hotspots completely i'd go a 3 hole system like Look or SPD-SL.

Any thoughts between the above?

Ideally, i'd like a CB system, probably the Quattro, but realistically they're way too expensive for now, and there's no generic brands.

Also, does anyone know the if there is, and if so, the generic model brands/numbers for the above pedals, mainly the M324 style with platform? Would help in looking up on ebay...

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:56 am

I use the M324 and a double sided clip - can't remember the number.

The M324 is built so it doesn't move on the spindle once you take your foot out. The result is that where you take your foot out of the clip is where the clip is at the top. I tend to lift off at the top and so the clip is at the top when the pedal is at the top. The result is that it's rare for me to find myself on the wrong side of the clip.

For a bike with a free hub at the back, double sided isn't necessary.

On my fixed gear bike, I have double sided - they were second hand and cheap on ebay :D. However, they are possibly a good move on that bike because the pedals keep revolving and the more options the better - one of the clips is a bit funny and I've noticed that sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't, so on the fixed gear bike, the double sided option works.

On the question of hot spots. My personal experience is that that is rubbish. I do not suffer hot spots from the cleats (sometimes from over tightening) and do some pretty long rides at times.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:10 am

If you're after CB pedals the Acid & the Smarti offer a reasonable platform and are a lot cheaper than the quattros

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:39 am

alchemist wrote:If you're after CB pedals the Acid & the Smarti offer a reasonable platform and are a lot cheaper than the quattros
Nah, not really going for CBs right now, I'll let myself get into clipless first, see how I find the SPDs, since they're so much cheaper. And if I do one day swap to Crank Bros, I'll consider the model question then.

Richard, yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the 324s, but was wondering if there was a generic (cheaper) version of the pedals, instead of Shimano branded. at ~$150 before shoes, I'm no where near affording them right anytime soon.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:49 am

Have a look on ebay. There's a shop from the US selling new M324s. I bought a pair for a tad over $50 a couple of weeks ago.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:23 pm

I believe the brand Wellgo (sp?) make cheaper versions of some Shimano models. However I got my M520's for $40.00 in a pedals &shoes deal so they shouldn't break the bank. They also come with a removable plastic platform with reflectors mounted on one side for Australian design rule reasons. A friend has kept these on her bike for the last year, I took mine straight off as I don't just jump on the bike to pop up to the shops. SWMBO got hers a couple of weeks after me and left the platform on for 2 weeks until she was fully comfortable with the clip in/out process.

If you only go on planned rides I wouldn't bother with the platform versions.
The older I get, the better I was...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:47 pm

BBB, VP and Wellgo all do SPD clones, IIRC, BBB do the clip/flat option.

IMO, go the 520s and keep the plastic platforms on if you want to run street shoes occasionally. I've got two pairs I don't use if anybody wants some....

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:31 am

Most LBS should be able to give you a pair of these plastic "ADR" platforms too, if it's more convenient. It is mandatory for all pedals to be sold with reflectors but most plastic platforms are taken straight off the SPD pedals before they leave the shop. If you use them just wind up the tension on that clip so they don't come off when you least expect it.

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Blybo wrote:Most LBS should be able to give you a pair of these plastic "ADR" platforms too, if it's more convenient. It is mandatory for all pedals to be sold with reflectors but most plastic platforms are taken straight off the SPD pedals before they leave the shop. If you use them just wind up the tension on that clip so they don't come off when you least expect it.
I asked at my local bike shop where I could a set of those plastic clips so I could install them on one side of my SPD mountain bike clips.

The guy said, they only put them on for cmopliance (reflectors) and you shouldn't ride with them as they are a liability to your safety as they are quite flimsy and tend to pop out when your apply decent load. I'm sure we all know how i feels to have you foot come off the pedal and rake it up your shin or calf.

Do that half way up some rugged signle track and you'll be face2face with all sorts of grief yet alone in traffic...

I was considering the SPD's with the clip built into the normal flat pedal; but my friends talked me out of it. I have the double sided Shimano ones and they're fine.

G
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:09 pm

glawrence2000 wrote: I asked at my local bike shop where I could a set of those plastic clips so I could install them on one side of my SPD mountain bike clips.

The guy said, they only put them on for cmopliance (reflectors) and you shouldn't ride with them as they are a liability to your safety as they are quite flimsy and tend to pop out when your apply decent load. I'm sure we all know how i feels to have you foot come off the pedal and rake it up your shin or calf.

Do that half way up some rugged signle track and you'll be face2face with all sorts of grief yet alone in traffic...

I was considering the SPD's with the clip built into the normal flat pedal; but my friends talked me out of it. I have the double sided Shimano ones and they're fine.

G
While I freely admit these are not an integrated part of the pedal, if the spd tension is tightened you would be pretty unlucky for it to come out under normal conditions. The OP is not going off road, it is a commuter.

I lost skin on knuckles and needed 2 sets of multi grips to twist the plastic platform out of the better halves pedals. After I bandaged myself up and wiped the sweat from my brow I remembered I could loosen the clip tension :oops: :oops:

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:04 pm

I lost skin on knuckles and needed 2 sets of multi grips to twist the plastic platform out of the better halves pedals. After I bandaged myself up and wiped the sweat from my brow I remembered I could loosen the clip tension :oops: :oops:[/quote]

D'oh!
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.