Rain pants - yay or nay?

Max

Rain pants - yay or nay?

Postby Max » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:34 pm

With the recent spate of craptacular rainy weather, I've been thinking it might be time to get some wet weather gear. I'm going to get a Ground Effect jacket, and am curious to know how others deal with the bottom half. Do you wear rain pants? If so, what sort, and do they keep you dry? If you don't wear them, why not?

My situation is that I ride 16Km into town, catch the train from town to the other side of town, then ride another 12Km or so to get to work. I particularly want to avoid having to wait for the train, then ride the train, saturated. I'd welcome any suggestions for keeping dry on my commutes.

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Rain pants - yay or nay?

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08 pm

I used to run company issue shunters rain pants, they kept the rain out and the sweat in.
I recently got some rainlegs from Wiggle, now I just have to wait for it to rain on my commute to find out it they're worth it.

Soggy legs are very uncomfortable.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:25 pm

no

Harden up princess its only water :lol:
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:27 pm

Haven't ever bothered with rain pants.

I might if I lived in colder areas...but I don't!! (nor do you Max :) )

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:12 am

The latest issue of Cycling Plus (British glossy mag - Borders stock it) has a comparo article test on rain jackets. It might be useful. It says some high end rain gear keeps you dry and also lets sweat out. I've never owned an article of clothing quite that hi tech, it sounds brilliant. Mind you, jackets like that probably cost upwards of 300 clams.
It also has lots of ads for other rain gear, including pants, with it being winter in England and all.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:35 am

I've used them in the past when I lived in a colder climate, but I wouldn't bother in Sydney, its too warm. What I do is take another pair of knicks in my bag, so I've got a dry pair to ride home in.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

RodneyOlsen

Postby RodneyOlsen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 am

I bought a pair many years ago but only used them a few times.

I found they constricted movement and just made my legs too hot.

I'd rather get wet and then dry my nicks at work before heading home and doing it all over again. :)
Image Image

Max

Postby Max » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks for the headsup, Fletcher - I'll see if I can hunt that article down. :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:45 am

A bit of water on the legs is no problem but wet shoes/socks and bums are far more annoying. I'd say save up on the rain pants and invest in front/rear splash guards and a better sealing bootie.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:00 am

sogood wrote:A bit of water on the legs is no problem but wet shoes/socks and bums are far more annoying. I'd say save up on the rain pants and invest in front/rear splash guards and a better sealing bootie.
+1

I find my pants and legs dry out during the working day, but if my shoes get wet it takes 24 hours plus to get them really dry.

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:42 pm

I destroyed the ladies hairdryer trying to fix my shoes so I could go riding without that gross feet soggy feeling.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Here is my sexy pic of my rain pants...sometimes I wear them between two pairs of knicks.I don't care about getting wet....I do care about getting a frozen wet arse and nuts.Haven't needed them this winter thou (this is last winter) as it hasn't rained much...just snowed!.
I know they are shocking :lol: ....but they work.

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Here is my sexy pic of my rain pants...sometimes I wear them between two pairs of knicks.I don't care about getting wet....I do care about getting a frozen wet arse and nuts.Haven't needed them this winter thou (this is last winter) as it hasn't rained much...just snowed!.

I know they are shocking :lol: ....but they work.
This has no bearing on validity of use of rain pants (I know Ground Effect has them too, but still), but again, I'm glad I live in the tropics, particularly after seeing that pic.

The downside is, its pointless for me to even consider wearing my GoreTex jacket, its either get soaked from rain, or wear the portable sauna jacket and get soaked from sweat on the ride to work. If I get really lucky it condenses in my sleeves and drips out the end on my ride to work.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 pm

I've used Rainbird plastic overpants in Sydney's winter - and sweating is not a problem in cold temps at my riding tempo. Don't think they'd work around Brissie with higher temps and humidity there. For Sydney's warmer months, bare legs and rain overshoes or shimano sandals work okay for me (with breathable fabric jacket).

Breathable jackets work so well for me that I have been tempted to consider a pair of breathable cycling pants, like these http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/Vaude ... 360041237/ or what might be a more breathable fabric one http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/dhb_W ... 360037017/. Just waiting for the price to get more reasonable.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Daus

Postby Daus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:45 pm

Summer in Queensland is too hot for extra gear and legs especially heat up in long pants- I wear sleeveless t-shirt with cotton shorts to commute and found it best. My gear drys out at work ready for the ride home. In torrential rain I have a sleeveless vest with a mesh back that does the trick it at least lets the water run off so avoiding the soggy t-shirt feeling. The people I work with think I am crazy commuting in the rain.

Max

Postby Max » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Perhaps rain shorts or 3/4 pants might be the go. If it was just a matter of riding from A to B uninterrupted, I'd live with getting wet. The issue is that I have to stop and wait for a train (cold, windy) for 20 minutes, then sit around in a train (airconditioned/cold) for another 40-odd minutes.

+1 to disliking wet feet. I've got booties. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I know they won't be 100% perfect, but it's got to be better than having saturated feet, right? :)

Max

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Looks like I might get a chance to test the Rainlegs tomorrow Max, if so I'll report back.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:16 am

Max wrote: +1 to disliking wet feet. I've got booties. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I know they won't be 100% perfect, but it's got to be better than having saturated feet, right? :)

Max
I also seal my shoes around/under the cleats with silicone sealant, and tie the overshoes into my ankle with velcro. That makes them pretty much 100%. Can't adjust the cleats once this is done, but you can dig the sealant out and start again if you need to make adjustments.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Max wrote:Perhaps rain shorts or 3/4 pants might be the go.
Showers pass have a womens sized convertible rain pants, made with breathable fabric, that can give you both options (3/4 or full length).

Cheers
WombatK

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:47 pm

I bought a pair of Altura Attack 3/4 length rain pants last year from Wiggle and used them regularly on tour in some shocking weather. I was not convinced that they would be of much benefit but tried them anyway.

I was VERY impressed. Turned out to be one of the single best bits of cycyling kit I have ever bought. Made from 2.5 layer React fabric which feels like an ultra thin wetsuit but breathes. They come down over my knees leaving shins exposed and can be taken on/off without removing boots. I wear them over the top of MTB shorts and my good bits are toasty warm and protected from wind and rain.

I can highly recommend these, and I know that ground effects and others make similar products.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:12 pm

wombatK wrote:
Max wrote: +1 to disliking wet feet. I've got booties. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I know they won't be 100% perfect, but it's got to be better than having saturated feet, right? :)

Max
I also seal my shoes around/under the cleats with silicone sealant, and tie the overshoes into my ankle with velcro. That makes them pretty much 100%. Can't adjust the cleats once this is done, but you can dig the sealant out and start again if you need to make adjustments.

Cheers

I wrap my shoes in glad wrap before putting the covers on...the cleats will engage thru glad wrap no problem and you stay 100% dry even in real rain.I never have a problem with hot feet which helps.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Well the Rainlegs got a pretty good workout this morning. A little damp on the uncovered shins from spray is my guess, bone dry everywhere else. Got on the train, undid 3 snap buckles and tossed them in a plastic bag in the backpack, easy. Now for the heavy rain test...

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Max

Postby Max » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:59 am

That's great feedback, Mulger Bill!

Max

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:06 pm

gavinr wrote:
sogood wrote:A bit of water on the legs is no problem but wet shoes/socks and bums are far more annoying. I'd say save up on the rain pants and invest in front/rear splash guards and a better sealing bootie.
+1

I find my pants and legs dry out during the working day, but if my shoes get wet it takes 24 hours plus to get them really dry.
I've always wondered if its better to accept that your shoes get wet, and wear something like the Shimano SPD sandals instead. That way they dry easily, but you have to put up with the spray wetting your feet, and the fact you'll look like a retiree if you wear them with socks (knee high for the best image).

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Fred Nurk wrote: I've always wondered if its better to accept that your shoes get wet, and wear something like the Shimano SPD sandals instead. That way they dry easily, but you have to put up with the spray wetting your feet, and the fact you'll look like a retiree if you wear them with socks (knee high for the best image).
They've worked really well for me in Sydney's recent wet weather. Much easier than carrying overboots just in case it rains, and a real winner for cooling in summer heat. Shimano's sandals cover quite a lot of your foot, so you don't end up feeling spray on your feet - or even getting dirty. Nor do you get sunburned (I don't wear socks).

The only down side is you need to be tough enough to withstand the jibes about apostle's footwear and mock concern you've fallen into the hands of some strange cult.
WombatK