I wana go racing

shiv

I wana go racing

Postby shiv » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 pm

As Im just entering my last season of footy (aussie rules for all you northerners), Im starting to plan for life after retirement. And I wana go racing!

Now I have joined in for a crit before and Im fairly fit, but just wondering what I should be doing over winter so I know I'll be more then just making up numbers in d grade. Depending on my fitness I'm considering a few races over winter as well. My main problem is time. I have a young family, (9 month old baby girl) and we own 2 subway stores that take up a fair chunk of my time. The one advantage I have is flexible hours, so I can decide when I work.

I know interval work is great, and will be starting work on that very soon, but any other advice like should I keep training logs etc would be awesome. Thanks

Just on a side note, my training is starting this weekend, my little brother is coming over for 4 days of serious hills training for the otway odessey

JV911

Re: I wana go racing

Postby JV911 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:25 am

best bet would be to join your local club and get some bunch riding experience. when you're confident riding at speed in a bunch then its time to go racing.

the best training for racing crits is racing crits :D

dont worry about "making up the numbers" just get in there and have a crack. you have to start somewhere
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 am

Yep, join a road racing club and develop your bunch riding skills. Without it, you'll be a menace to the bunch that puts yourself and others at risk. Otherwise the critical issue is to develop your sustainable power. Without it, you'll get dropped and no chance to contest the sprint.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:21 pm

What is your background? How much do your ride now? Do you do much bunch riding?

General training advice...

Yes, keep a training log. If nothing else, just time, distance, and some measure of intensity (be it a number between 1 and 10, average HR, or something more advanced like Training Stress Score or BikeScore).

If you have limited time, your best bet is to make those hours count by riding hard.

PS - you should join Port Adelaide Cycling Club. We've got a crit coming up on 28th Feb: http://www.pacc.org.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2376.

shiv

Postby shiv » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Sorry should have included some riding/fitness background.

Im pretty fit, have been riding 3 ot 4 times a week since November doing 50-90k each time. Ill admit I dont ride as hard as I probably should, but do hit the hills pretty hard. Usually average around 30-32kph on these rides unless I take on the bigger hills (Mt Lofty or Norton Summit).

I have done 2 TDU rides, Amy Gillett ride and the Lance twitter ride so have ridden in a bunch and not come unstuck. Also ride with a small group of 4-6 most weekends. I know all the hand signals, maybe not all the finer points needed for racing though.

Honestly I dont expect to be stuck at the back if i race d grade, just not sure the best way to train to race. And Id love to start racing now but isnt it the end of season almost? My other issue is cost. Having spent all my money buying shops the better half isnt too keen on paying for a full licence unless Im doing this full on (which will be hard while still playing footy). My brother races in Pt Fairy and only costs about $50 a year plus entry fees as they are just club races, is there anywhere to do this in adelaide?

Oh and Daniel, being a victorian I have this strange hatred of anything to do with magpies/port. But you never know what might happen :wink:

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:36 pm

DanielS wrote:What is your background? How much do your ride now? Do you do much bunch riding?

General training advice...

Yes, keep a training log. If nothing else, just time, distance, and some measure of intensity (be it a number between 1 and 10, average HR, or something more advanced like Training Stress Score or BikeScore).

If you have limited time, your best bet is to make those hours count by riding hard.

PS - you should join Port Adelaide Cycling Club. We've got a crit coming up on 28th Feb: http://www.pacc.org.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2376.
Hi Daniel, I'm pretty interested in coming a long to this crit. Can I race it without a cycling australia racing license? Do you have any more details available.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:36 am

tripstobaltimore wrote:Can I race it without a cycling australia racing license?
you'll need a licence for insurance purposes. you can probably get a day licence but its ~ $60 versus ~ $200 for a year so not really cost-effective
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 am

tripstobaltimore wrote:Hi Daniel, I'm pretty interested in coming a long to this crit. Can I race it without a cycling australia racing license? Do you have any more details available.
Excellent!

Because its a club crit, I'm pretty sure you can get a one-day permit, I think the cost is around $20 (don't quote me on that). Plus you'll need to pay the race entry fee. If you decide to join PACC with a full membership, the one-day permit cost will be deducted from the full membership cost. I can find out the exact details and get back to you.

As for other details - probably just get there early to sort everything out, you might want to have a look at our club manual which has some good information.

I'll be there, I'm the tall skinny guy on an unmarked carbon bike, will be in a PACC jersey.

shiv - Sounds like you have the skills/fitness necessary to give racing a go. There is no real 'season' as such, criteriums are generally summer (Oct - Mar) and road racing winter (Apr - Sep).

Its hard to train to race without actually racing first. There is a lot that goes into it aside from just fitness. So I'd recommend starting to do some racing.

The licenses always last a calendar year, so no matter when you get it, it will expire in 31 Dec 2010. So if you are planning on racing at all this year, you may as well get it now! (although I think its a little bit cheaper after 30 Jun). The vets club races might be more like what your brother does, but I really don't know anything about them, they're completely separate to Cycling Australia affiliated clubs.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:21 pm

tripstobaltimore - I just checked and you won't be able to get a day permit, they're now only available for special events.

You can sign up for a yearly license online if you are keen (my recommendation: join PACC).

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Cheers for getting back to me. Mght have to give it a miss then. I may gve the winter season a crack though, depending on how the calendar looks. Cheers for the info

danneva

Postby danneva » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Planning for a new career in retirement can be challenging, but opportunities will be there. It’s important to take your time identifying your values and passions before you decide what you want to do. And remember, your retirement career change is just part of your total retirement lifestyle planning.

shiv

Postby shiv » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:26 pm

danneva wrote:Planning for a new career in retirement can be challenging, but opportunities will be there. It’s important to take your time identifying your values and passions before you decide what you want to do. And remember, your retirement career change is just part of your total retirement lifestyle planning.

Um, Im just retiring from amateur footy, not my job.