Road bike $1500 budget

Blybo

Road bike $1500 budget

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:22 pm

Ok so this riding bug has hit for good and now I'd like to get a road bike. With a medium budget of around $1500 where are the value models? Am I better to go to a frame with carbon rear stays if possible or to a better component set?

This bike will be used for a commute 20k's each way twice a week plus longer rides on weekends. It will go on bike paths and even rail trials so not a full on race ready roadie ( not that my budget would allow that anyway :oops: ). If I do decide on a Flat bar I think I have narrowed it down to this as I get on special atm for under $1300

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Neil
The older I get, the better I was...

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:36 pm

Blybo, there are lots of good buys a the moment for around your budget with end of model sales etc (or at least there were a few weeks ago when I bought my LeMond Tourmalet).

The biggest thing I've learnt from this forum is that it doesn't really matter if it has carbon stays or not as long as the bike fits you and you find it comfortable and a joy to ride. So jump on as many as you can for test rides before making a decision.

Personally, when you short list a few bikes that you like, that fit and are comfy, then I'd go for the best component set you can afford to minimise the desire to upgrade too soon.

Most manufacturers offer models of road bikes that have a more "relaxed" geometry and more upright position than your "race ready roadie's" and would probably be a bit more practical on your longer trips than a flat bar.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Aushiker

Re: Road bike $1500 budget

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Blybo wrote:If I do decide on a Flat bar I think I have narrowed it down to this as I get on special atm for under $1300
Hi Neil

Your URL does not appear to be going anywhere. Can you provide another one or more details of the bike please?

Thanks
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:00 pm

Oopps

Try Gatika

I tested it this time and it works for me

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:04 pm

inaminit wrote:Blybo, there are lots of good buys a the moment for around your budget with end of model sales etc (or at least there were a few weeks ago when I bought my LeMond Tourmalet).

Most manufacturers offer models of road bikes that have a more "relaxed" geometry and more upright position than your "race ready roadie's" and would probably be a bit more practical on your longer trips than a flat bar.
I love the look of your bike, bit unusual too, good specs. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I'm 92kg's, would the wheelset cope ok and would you consider the Tourmalet to be relaxed geometry?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:09 pm

Blybo wrote:Oopps

Try Gatika

I tested it this time and it works for me
Thanks. Nice looking. Not much info on the specs (typical Orbea) but I would suggest you take a look at Giant CRX range. I know my 07 CRX was around this price with a better group set (105).

Regards
Andrew

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Blybo wrote:
I love the look of your bike, bit unusual too, good specs. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I'm 92kg's, would the wheelset cope ok and would you consider the Tourmalet to be relaxed geometry?
I have an '06 Tourmalet - the main difference being that it is 9sp 105 Groupset vs 10 sp for the 2007 model.

I am 96kg at the moment, and have now covered 3,300km with no probs whatsoever.

The setup is not relaxed geometry per se, but other writeups point to it being more realxed than some others. Depends what you compare it to. Try it, and find out how it fits you.

Go for it !!

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Thanks Blybo.

They retail for $1999, without pedals. I picked mine up for $1580ish including a set of Shimano 105 pedals and a couple of cheap bits for the old bike.

I'm currently 92.5kg, bought mine almost 4 weeks ago and have done a touch over 600km on her, and the wheels are still staight.

I would consider it to be "relaxed geometry", but then I wasn't too concerned if it was or wasn't. It just felt right when I test rode it! There is the scope to make it a bit more agressive, by flipping the stem or lowering it should the need arise.

If you have a look in the general discussion area there was a thread last week about the tourmalet's. Also, another member, MichealB has a tourmalet as well. I think he got his about 6 months ago, clocked up over 3000km and i don't think he's had any problems.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:32 pm

DOH.....I need to learn to type faster....MichaelB beat me to it!!!!!

BTW mines an 07 model with the 10spd 105 groupset.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:53 pm

Aushiker wrote: Thanks. Nice looking. Not much info on the specs (typical Orbea) but I would suggest you take a look at Giant CRX range. I know my 07 CRX was around this price with a better group set (105).

Regards
Andrew
Hey Andrew,
The Gatika's I've looked at are 105 front and rear, deore brake levers and shifters, and from memory the hubs, cranks and BB are Tiagra (sp?). I'm definitely getting one for the better half but I'm unsure whether to go drop bars or flat myself. I can get these for around $1200 from LBS.

I did 75k's on a MTB with slicks yesterday so I'm comfortable with flats over longer distances but I can see the benefits of the drops.

Decisions, decisions...

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm

Get drops, why do something half way?

I don't know what kind of rail trails you're talking about - if it's good smooth dirt or paved then fit a 28mm tyre and use a regular road bike (and be careful). If you're talking about more gravelly & bumpy loose surfaces you could look at a Surly Cross-check which is just within your price range.

You might also want to look at the Trek Pilot range.

BTW you can win a race on a Trek 1200 which is well inside your price range, it's low end but you could certainly call it a full-on race bike.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:27 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:49 pm

with that price point, there's many-an-opiton!

if you're lookin for a flatbar roadie, then check out the Scott Sub series, Apollo Zap, GT Legato's and Kona Dew's (there's a few Dew's: Dew, Dew Deluxe and Dr Dew).

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:36 am

Bnej wrote:Get drops, why do something half way?

BTW you can win a race on a Trek 1200 which is well inside your price range, it's low end but you could certainly call it a full-on race bike.
Agreed Bnej :) drops are the way to go.

with the specials out for the 07 range we upgraded the Mrs from her flatbar to a trek pilot 1.0 a couple of days ago.

Very nice package indeed for a price point bike (sale price of $950) and i think from memory about 10 - 11kg's.

I'm impressed with the bike and have found myself running a fond eye over her.....

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:29 am

Bnej wrote:Get drops, why do something half way?

I don't know what kind of rail trails you're talking about - if it's good smooth dirt or paved then fit a 28mm tyre and use a regular road bike (and be careful). If you're talking about more gravelly & bumpy loose surfaces you could look at a Surly Cross-check which is just within your price range.

I'm heading in this direction Bnej.
I found the perfect bike last night actually, can somebody please donate an extra $1500 to my bike fund :lol: . It was a 06 version of Specialized Tricross Comp but $2990. The next model down is the Sport in my price bracket but with Deore xt rear and Sora. Unfortunately they only have the Olive and I hate the paint job but it's tough enough for singletrack and even small drop off's yet still fast enough for road duties. The shop owner has just ordered the Expert version from the States he likes the concept so much.
I assume this is a similar concept to the Surly but I prefer oversized tubing from a vanity perspective.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:51 am

MountGower wrote:Blybo

You can tell a bit about the geometry of a bike by the length of the head tube. You will notice the Tourmalet has one of the longest head tubes out there. It doesn't matter if it has a flat or sloping top tube, it's the length of the head tube you need to look at.

I wonder if a Surly Cross Check with two wheel set would suffice for road and cyclocross/rail trails ?
Thanks MG. After lasts nights LBS visit I'm looking seriously at the Specialized Tricross Comp (link in post above) as an alternative to the Surly. Just need to find a medium in the black colour option. Funnily enough the Specialized has a modern version of centre pull brakes :shock: . Aparently the UCI don't allow discs in cyclo-cross and these are next best for the muddy terrain :?: :?:

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:32 pm

I think this cyclo-cross type of machine is pushing my buttons. Apart from not being quite as fast as a pure roadie is there something I'm missing, why aren't these more popular??? Would a 2nd set of dedicated road wheels bring me up to speed?
Wantabike pushed me to Kona's site and I've found a LBS with Jake the Snake . Very interesting, guess where I'm going after work :P

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:54 pm

Cyclocross racing isn't big in Australia (yet). As such there aren't many models available - Trek have only recently started offering their XO1 in Australia, and Giant don't offer their cyclocross bikes here.

They're more upright (slower) & heavier (slower) than a road bike, so if you're just riding roads then a road bike is better.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:27 pm

Just went to my work LBS and asked about cyclocross and got a blank stare. Then I thought to myself, hey I've already got a decent MTB, why do I need off road abilities on the commuter, road bike.
The shop currently has a special on a Masi road bike with full 105 but Ultegra rear derailluer.

Any opinions on these? Or is the LeMond Tourmalet a better quality frame wheel set. I'll try and ride both before making my mind up.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:31 pm

Blybo wrote:Just went to my work LBS and asked about cyclocross and got a blank stare. Then I thought to myself, hey I've already got a decent MTB, why do I need off road abilities on the commuter, road bike.
Excellent question!

A bike you buy to do cross purpose stuff is never as good as any given purpose built bike. A cyclocross bike makes a lot of sense if you want to race cyclocross or as a commuter, but it's not entirely a road bike. Just because you get a new bike your old one won't stop working!

That Masi looks nice. Red ones go faster - but how much and is it your size?

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:53 pm

The Masi is $1500 and they can get my size as it's a Bike Force franchise store that did a group buy. They are aparently the biggest cycling retailer in the country but most stores are in WA. This is the first Vic store located in Richmond. Lovely people to deal with too.

Yep red is faster, my car is red too (ok is Burgundy :oops: ). But all my riding gear matches the blue bike :roll: . I'm not fimiliar with the Masi brand that's all, don't mind being a bit different though

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:55 pm

Bnej wrote:They're more upright (slower) & heavier (slower) than a road bike, so if you're just riding roads then a road bike is better.
Um not really - weights of cx bikes will be comparable to similarly specced roadies. Geometry wont be too far off either.

Slower? Well as a crosser it will probably only come with a 46 or 48 big ring but if you've got the legs there's nothing to stop you putting on a 53.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm

alchemist wrote:Um not really - weights of cx bikes will be comparable to similarly specced roadies. Geometry wont be too far off either.

Slower? Well as a crosser it will probably only come with a 46 or 48 big ring but if you've got the legs there's nothing to stop you putting on a 53.
I would have thought that cyclocross forks and frames would be stronger and require larger clearances hence = more material.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:09 pm

Bnej wrote:
alchemist wrote:Um not really - weights of cx bikes will be comparable to similarly specced roadies. Geometry wont be too far off either.

I would have thought that cyclocross forks and frames would be stronger and require larger clearances hence = more material.
I'd suggest you right there Bnej. The Specialized even had pannier bolts in the carbon forks :shock: . Did seem a bit oversized in the forks and rear stays compared to the road frames. Would make an excellent tourer though.

triode12

Postby triode12 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:13 pm

Blybo wrote:The Masi is $1500 and they can get my size as it's a Bike Force franchise store that did a group buy. They are aparently the biggest cycling retailer in the country but most stores are in WA. This is the first Vic store located in Richmond. Lovely people to deal with too.

Yep red is faster, my car is red too (ok is Burgundy :oops: ). But all my riding gear matches the blue bike :roll: . I'm not fimiliar with the Masi brand that's all, don't mind being a bit different though
Masi is an old Italian bike manufacturer that shifted it manufacturing to the US in the 70s.

The protagonist in the 1979 movie 'Breaking Away' rode a Masi Gran Criterium.