Todays rides

rockviewau

Todays rides

Postby rockviewau » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I thought it would be nice to have a thread based on what we did on our recent rides.

I did my first ride of more than 20kms... a 32km ride (approx... bloody computer is stuffed) from Mawson to the city, around the western side of the lake (anti-clockwise) and back home to Mawson.

My aim is to do the 30km AGF ride in a few weeks and need to know i can actually do the kms.

The rain was fun to deal with in the city too... thank goodness for decent glasses
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

yyeric

Re: Todays rides

Postby yyeric » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:48 pm

You might be interested in this series of training rides which build up distance as week goes on.

http://www.pedalpower.org.au/events/det ... ontId=3124

Sunday 4 April starting at 08:00 – 50 km (approximately)
Sunday 11 April starting at 08:00 – 60 km (approximately)
Sunday 18 April starting at 08:00 – 60 km (approximately)
Sunday 2 May starting at 08:00 – 70 km (approximately)
Sunday 9 May starting at 08:00 – 80 km (approximately)
Sunday 16 May starting at 08:00 – 90 km (approximately)
Sunday 23 May starting at 08:00 – 100 km (approximately)

Sounds reasonable isn't it?

Back to the ride I did today, 100km to bungendore in the morning with Pedal Power bunch.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:02 pm

i might keep goin on my lil rides of about 30kms at the moment..... but i will keep an eye on pedal powers stuff... looks good....

roads just scare me a bit at the moment, plus i wanna make sure i can keep my speed up over distance
Lucas Hayden

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:38 pm

From tomorrow, my office moves from Civic to Dickson so I go from nice secure, under the building parking to locking my bicycle up to a tree out in the open (not happy).

Rather than leave my best bike out in the weather and under the gaze of potential thieves and vandals, yesterday morning I visited Tiny's Green Shed (the old Revolve out at the tip) and $25 later, walked out with a 58cm, 12-Speed "Northern Star" racer, replete with broken cables, flat tyres, faded paint and rusty steel wheels.

After 4 hours of spanner work and a very severe weight loss program it's good to go

So.... todays ride was at 2am this morning around the sleepy local streets (with spanners and screwdriver in the back of the jersey) tweaking, adjusting and trying to remember the last time I got so much enjoyment from $25!!

Next week I'll be back with the Bilby's Sat morning ride.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:43 pm

Today's ride was;

-Kambah to Stromlo Forest Park to meet a work mate
- SFP to Uriarra > Cotter > SFP > LBG
- LBG got caught in the approaching storm so after my mate turned off to Belco it was a sprint home to try stay dry. Unfortunately it didn't work

All up was about 77km, with the last 15odd been wet. The Uriarra loop was good, bit windy but good practice for the AGF ride in March.

Pedal Power really look to have a great set of rides going. Really should join in sometime soon.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

psike

Postby psike » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:38 pm

saturday Uriarra-Cotter loop from Weston - then a great coffee - the best bit :)
Sunday I did the Audax Tablelands Trot 200. Sutton - Bungendore - Tarago - Goulburn - Breadalbane - Gunning - Gundaroo - Sutton. Awesome second breakfast at the Green Grocer Cafe in Goulburn. Really good bircher muesli and all the expensive bikes to drool over... if you haven't been to the Green Grocer it's worth a visit.
Next decent hit out is in two weeks - thinking about the Audax Crookwell Canter 300, there's a 160km option too.
Russ

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Russ. I am planning to do the Crookwell Canter 160. Any Tips?

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:56 pm

a quick 12km ride for me today, felt better than the past times i rode up atthlon drive from kambah to mawson

the mrs is pretty unwell with a few things so i wanted to get home and be here..... (insert nice fiance here)
Lucas Hayden

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:35 pm

26km recovery ride around lake burley griffin's west basin after work.

It feels great and time for dinner!

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 pm

26km recovery???? i cant wait to get to that stage..... 26km is a hike atm!!
Lucas Hayden

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:26 pm

Richardson to an anticlockwise lap of LBG, peeled off to Mt. Stromlo and back home again. 77 KM, 27.3 avg, 2 Hours 50 mins
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

psike

Postby psike » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 pm

yyeric wrote:Russ. I am planning to do the Crookwell Canter 160. Any Tips?
Time in the saddle. I see so many training tips but I reckon it all comes down to getting used to longer times and distances, getting an understanding of how you feel and getting the nutrition right. I just worked up to longer rides and eventually bit the bullet and did Fitz's Challenge and then set the goal on Fitz's Epic for 2009.

I haven't seen a ride profile yet so don't know what the hills will be like out to Crookwell. So probably some hill repeats, but in he end there aren't many hills you can't walk up if the need arises :)

That said I'm stressing about the 300, while the rain on the weekend was annoying it did keep the temps down.

The audax riders were very sociable and had some good stops along the way.

Russ

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:48 am

Haven't really built up enough pedaling time on the bike yet. This is what I am worrying about if I am going to do the 160km ride.

I usually hover around 100km for weekend rides and 180-200km weekly total so far this year. Not sure if I should give Crookwell a miss and wait until the Gunning Gallop 150 in March 21st, and buying me some time to do longer rides in the meantime.

Rain doesn't bother me so much on the road except for splashes in the face. It's the cleaning afterwards that drives me nuts.

Audax do offer some fun rides though. and Good luck to your 300km ride Russ.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 pm

psike wrote: Sunday I did the Audax Tablelands Trot 200. Sutton - Bungendore - Tarago - Goulburn - Breadalbane - Gunning - Gundaroo - Sutton. Awesome second breakfast at the Green Grocer Cafe in Goulburn. Really good bircher muesli and all the expensive bikes to drool over... if you haven't been to the Green Grocer it's worth a visit.
I did this too. Pretty tired afterwards. Finished the ride in a bit over 8 hours including morning tea and lunch stops. I was eyeing off the Willier hanging up above the pineapples but decided against buying it because it had Campy crap on it! :wink:

psike wrote:Next decent hit out is in two weeks - thinking about the Audax Crookwell Canter 300, there's a 160km option too.
Russ
I may do the 160km, will decide closer to the time.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:57 pm

todays ride was an hour or two fixing my bike. Put a new computer on as the old one decided to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! itself and some other bits and pieces.......

hopefully it wont rain tomorrow when i wanna ride :)
Lucas Hayden

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:07 pm

a nice lap of the central and west basin of LBG with robdog... 21kms in 60mins for me.... he did heaps more tho.

tomorrow a ride home from the city - dropping the mrs off to the docs and she will drive home and i will ride
Lucas Hayden

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:24 pm

If you can wake up very very early, here is an option for you on Friday morning.

Friday Morning 6AM meeting at ANU Union (near Purple Pickle cafe).

Route: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 2257051595 including hills to Red Hill Lookout

People will get divided into groups. fast, intermediate, 2nd intermediate. You can pick the bunch that suits your pace and condition.

Usually finish just after 7AM for the intermediate group, leaving you enough time to either have a big breakfast with the bunch or, if you live nearby, get home for shower and head out for work feeling fresher than ever.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Been super busy this week so no riding :( . Didn't help that I striped the bike down on Sunday after a ride in a rain and only got it back together last night, then had to work back today :(. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:35 pm

Just got home from another Hundred - Home to LBG Bike hire shop/kiosk (30km Say What?!?!), lap of LBG with rockviewau, lap of LBG cause I had some time to kill, rode home
103 KM
4:08'52
24.8 avg (damn just short of 25)
And huzzah, my butt hardly hurt at all... lower back is another issue though :(

BTW HAKS, second lap of Lake was 39 mins... beware :P
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 pm

I'll race ya, it'll just make me go faster :P

Awesome effort though doing another ton :)

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:40 pm

Robdog wrote:Just got home from another Hundred - Home to LBG Bike hire shop/kiosk (30km Say What?!?!), lap of LBG with rockviewau, lap of LBG cause I had some time to kill, rode home
103 KM

24.8kms?? all because of the slow rider riding with u!! nice work on the 2nd lap..... i got home and cleaned the dishes, although i was ready to do another lap instead.
Lucas Hayden

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:25 pm

rockviewau wrote:
Robdog wrote:Just got home from another Hundred - Home to LBG Bike hire shop/kiosk (30km Say What?!?!), lap of LBG with rockviewau, lap of LBG cause I had some time to kill, rode home
103 KM

24.8kms?? all because of the slow rider riding with u!! nice work on the 2nd lap..... i got home and cleaned the dishes, although i was ready to do another lap instead.
I wouldn't worry about it... It's worth the extra K's I'll clock up when I'm struggling to motivate myself and you pipe up and say LET'S RIDE PRINCESS. HTFU!!! :twisted: :twisted:
BTW I think that keeping the missus happy was a wise move ;). We'll do 2 on Monday?
Oh and I think that the avg was partly down to having a half hour or so break between the second lap and the home leg. Damn it. :evil:
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 pm

HAKS wrote:I'll race ya, it'll just make me go faster :P

Awesome effort though doing another ton :)
TT Round the lake. It's on. Just let me get within 10 kegs of you first....

2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 pm

Robdog wrote:
rockviewau wrote:
103 KM

I wouldn't worry about it... It's worth the extra K's I'll clock up when I'm struggling to motivate myself and you pipe up and say LET'S RIDE PRINCESS. HTFU!!! :twisted: :twisted:
BTW I think that keeping the missus happy was a wise move ;). We'll do 2 on Monday?
Oh and I think that the avg was partly down to having a half hour or so break between the second lap and the home leg. Damn it. :evil:

yeah we will do 2 on monday... im flirting with the idea of doin the 65km agf ride and wanna see how i go doin 2 laps... i reckon i can make the 65kms
Lucas Hayden

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm

rockviewau wrote:yeah we will do 2 on monday... im flirting with the idea of doin the 65km agf ride and wanna see how i go doin 2 laps... i reckon i can make the 65kms
Cool. You might surprise yourself, puff and blow all you like, but it's your legs that tell you when you've had enough, they simply won't turn as fast anymore. Its not much fun
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team