You guys have the cycling life.

brendancg

You guys have the cycling life.

Postby brendancg » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:05 pm

As a Sydney sider I visited Canberra on the weekend with my family. All I saw were bike paths, bike lanes and thousands of bikes. I also saw people giving way and showing respect for bicycle riders. You guys have got the setup, had my wife and I seriously considering a move to your city (which may happen depending on work circumstances) It was so refreshing in comparison to Sydney. It was like everyone had taken a deep breath and decided to be human again. Good luck to you guys and enjoy, I may see you on the roads in the future.
Yesterday was an easy day.

HAKS

Re: You guys have the cycling life.

Postby HAKS » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and yes the cycling friendly city is what is on top of my reasons not to leave town :)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:55 am

You think what you saw was good? Wait till you try out the mountain biking within spitting distance of Canberra! Our nation's capital is an awesome place to ride your bike - whatever your flavour. :D
Cheers,
Dave

bella26

Postby bella26 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:26 am

This is definately the number 1 reason why my partner and I are planning a move there within the next couple of months. Oh the headaches...do I go road or MTB riding today... :D
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:45 pm

It wasn't just a once off either. Yes, there are issues, but generally mixing with traffic is a stress free event. Reading this forum on all the issues people have make me think I live in another country sometimes.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:10 pm

I get the same impression though, even when they are apparently talking about the same city I live in.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks brendancg, and yes the cycle facilities are very good. Of course there is still tension between motorists and cyclists, in fact yesterday's Canberra Times published an article using AAMI survey data claiming Canberra drivers are less tolerant of cyclists than in other cities/states. In general though, I find most motorists here are pretty good (except for the attractive, respectable-looking woman in her 40s in the grey Lancer turning onto Eastern Way yesterday afternoon, she was a complete clucking lunatic :shock: ).

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Read that - "breaking the law or riding dangerously - whether by riding two, three and four abreast on single lane carriageways, brazenly crossing through red lights, or screaming at pedestrians on walkways and cycle paths to get out of the way"

So, are they trying to say that riding two across is breaking the law or riding dangerously? And where do we have cycle paths in Canberra?

Almost a good attempt at improving relations, foiled by shoddy fact finding. Not happy with the green pushing for off-road facilities either... I hate the crap pavement and blind/deaf/stupid peds and POBSO's - which is, unfortunately, more than 50% of the people I encounter.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...