Helmets! Bells! Rego!

elmo

Re: 3 peaks anyone?

Postby elmo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:11 am

Coz he's too busy climbing baw baw. :mrgreen:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:47 pm

As anyone else seen the list of equipment that you MUST carry with you for 3 peaks?

You gotta be shitting me!

bman81

Postby bman81 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Missy24 wrote:As anyone else seen the list of equipment that you MUST carry with you for 3 peaks?

First time poster, long time lurker...

I signed up for the 3 peaks some time ago, and that's the first I've seen of that list. Methinks it is a bit of a toss. I appreciate that some of the stuff is a good idea, but surely I'm capable of deciding on the day whether I want to carry leg warmers or a rain jacket? I sometimes hate this nanny state we live in.

I hope they don't make me drink Powerade as I much prefer Endura, and wonder whether they'll make me finish the contents of each bidon before allowing me to refill...

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 pm

bman81 wrote:
Missy24 wrote:As anyone else seen the list of equipment that you MUST carry with you for 3 peaks?

First time poster, long time lurker...

I signed up for the 3 peaks some time ago, and that's the first I've seen of that list. Methinks it is a bit of a toss. I appreciate that some of the stuff is a good idea, but surely I'm capable of deciding on the day whether I want to carry leg warmers or a rain jacket? I sometimes hate this nanny state we live in.

I hope they don't make me drink Powerade as I much prefer Endura, and wonder whether they'll make me finish the contents of each bidon before allowing me to refill...
How much climbing have you done?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:26 pm

For a very long hard climb, in an Alpine environment (ie subject to sudden and extreme weather variation) which of these would you be wanting to do without??
- Helmet - this must be roadworthy and Australian Standard Approved

- Rider Bib
- Front and Rear Lights - for dark, wet or foggy conditions
- Rain Jacket
- Arm Warmers or a Long Sleeve Jersey
- Leg Warmers - we do not recommend long length knicks as you may get too hot on the ascents

- Full Length Gloves
- 2 x Drink Bottles - stop at every aid station to fill one up with Powerade and the other with water. Drink all fluids in your biddons between each aid station.
- Puncture repair kit - including 2 x spare tubes, 3 x tyre levers, tools and mini pump or air cylinders
- Food - while we provide food along the way, it is important that you address your carbohydrate requirements and take enough food to satisfy these.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:39 pm

il padrone wrote:

For a very long hard climb, in an Alpine environment (ie subject to sudden and extreme weather variation) which of these would you be wanting to do without??
- Helmet - this must be roadworthy and Australian Standard Approved

- Rider Bib
- Front and Rear Lights - for dark, wet or foggy conditions
- Rain Jacket
- Arm Warmers or a Long Sleeve Jersey
- Leg Warmers - we do not recommend long length knicks as you may get too hot on the ascents

- Full Length Gloves
- 2 x Drink Bottles - stop at every aid station to fill one up with Powerade and the other with water. Drink all fluids in your biddons between each aid station.
- Puncture repair kit - including 2 x spare tubes, 3 x tyre levers, tools and mini pump or air cylinders
- Food - while we provide food along the way, it is important that you address your carbohydrate requirements and take enough food to satisfy these.
Full length gloves
Leg warmers
mini pump (oh but that was either or)
only 1 tube
puncture repair kit
Rider Bib... so not practical
:twisted:

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:35 pm

What if there really is snow or sleet? The section above the tree line on Hotham is relatively short and riders will still be fresh enough to get over to Dinner Plain fairly quickly but the section from Strawberry Plain to Falls Creek is a long way to ride in 0 degrees and high winds if you are tired and just wearing lycra.

I've been up there in mid-summer wearing Goretex head-to-foot over fleece pants, jumper, beanie and gloves. A warm, sunny, still day is likely but cold rain and driving wind are also quite possible. The weather is not usually that bad in March but it does happen. There will be some entrants who have never experienced bad weather on the high plains. Does anyone know anything about BV's contingency plan? I guess all they can do is warn people and ask for vollies who own a St. Bernard dog :)
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

bman81

Postby bman81 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Missy24 wrote: How much climbing have you done?
Enough to know that this will be a fairly tough ride, but something I'm certainly capable of competing. Why?

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:50 pm

bman81 wrote:
Enough to know that this will be a fairly tough ride, but something I'm certainly capable of competing. Why?
So you've done the ones like Hotham, Donna, Buller... etc

bman81

Postby bman81 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Missy24 wrote:
bman81 wrote:
Hotham, Falls, Donna yes. Haven't ventured up Buller, Buffalo or Baw Baw. Black Mountain may be the only climb starting with "B" I've done. How odd!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:22 pm

One year I was up Mt Buller in March for the Schools MTB Champs and it came in with a cold front - strong winds and snow. I can assure you the leg warmers and full-finger gloves would be wise then. As for one tube.... :?: When you've replaced one flat and then got another, what then? No spare left and no puncture repair kit. Up at Mt Cope saddle in a blizzard, what will you do??
Mandatory helmet law?

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:38 pm

And I was thinking full length gloves like I wear with my evening gown. Thought it went well with the valet service :P
Disappointed to hear it means full finger gloves
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:50 pm

elmo wrote:Someone tell me, when is this weenie event taking place?

LMGTFY.....
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

elmo

Postby elmo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:29 pm

thanks Hooli.

Now, that wasn't so hard was it?

windlessdog

Postby windlessdog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Not such a big list of gear to protect yourself from the elements, Just educate yourselve a little, all you have to do is check the temperature difference at Wangaratta and Hotham and you will see how different it can be up top, then chuck in a blistering high speed decent that we hear about regularly, then comes the wind chill, frozen fingers,hyperthermia yep extra kit aint to hard to cary for piece of mind and safety
I,d just like to add one more bit of kit a space blanket small light and you can offer it to the fool whos freezeing on the side of the road especially if they didnt take there gloves leggys and arm warmers and jacket.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 am

bman81 wrote:
Missy24 wrote:
bman81 wrote:
Hotham, Falls, Donna yes. Haven't ventured up Buller, Buffalo or Baw Baw. Black Mountain may be the only climb starting with "B" I've done. How odd!
I was just wondering... I'm nosy its not my fault

psike

Postby psike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 am

The week before the ACE250 we rode up Falls Creek and it was freezing, with snow on the high plain - in January. There were riders without any warm gear who were in a bad way. If you don't carry cold weather gear then you are putting yourself at risk, and may then require assistance from others - assistance that could have been easily avoided. This was all dealt with quite nicely on the Audax threads re: the ACE250.

On that note - I loved the ACE250 so much, and the Vic high country, I'm registering for the 3 peaks, and the following week back for the SHCCC, You guys are indeed lucky to be so close to such awesome rides!

Russ

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm very jealous, I would love to have another go at the ACE course leaving out those pesky flat bits in and out of Bright. :wink:
Oh well, there's always the Audax 320 km event next year (not official yet), taking in Mt Hotham, Falls Creek, Tawonga Gap and Mt Buffalo for 6000+ m of climbing

psike

Postby psike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 am

Oh yeah I am hanging for the 320 next year. lol. Actually I felt so good at the end of the ACE I think I could have done 320... at least 320 is more doable within the BRM300 than the 250 is within BRM200 time.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

kujux800

Postby kujux800 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:54 pm

I did the 115 km ride from Hotham to Falls, excellent ride apart from the shocking weather. I was really prepared for the ride, rain jacket, full legs and arm warmers, but that wasnt enuff to keep me warm :(. would do it again forsure

darkness

Postby darkness » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:20 pm

hi all, i am considering doing this in march, problem is can anyone tell me how you would carry all of the compulsory gear? arm and leg warmers,rain jacket full length gloves, 2 tubes, puncture kit, tyre levers plus food, what would be a good size saddle bag? did anyone do it last year and how did you manage all the items? any assistance would be great thanks

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:32 pm

I did the ACE 250 last year (run on Australia Day weekend by Audax). Had a similar list of gear to carry - not specified as compulsory, but you do need it up there. I had no worries at all about carrying it. I used this bag:

Carradice SQR Tour

Reviewed here
Mandatory helmet law?

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:12 pm

il padrone wrote:I did the ACE 250 last year (run on Australia Day weekend by Audax). Had a similar list of gear to carry - not specified as compulsory, but you do need it up there. I had no worries at all about carrying it. I used this bag:

Carradice SQR Tour

Reviewed here
il padrone, are you a people smuggler?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:24 pm

master6 wrote:il padrone, are you a people smuggler?
:lol: :P

Now I do like to give myself a 'payload' for training, but other bodies..... nah, too much bother :D

When I do Audax rides this can be any sort of weather and usually in the cooler months, so space is needed for extra clothes, rain gear, spare lights, a few tools and a bit of food. As the bike is an old 27" I also carry a spare 27" folder, because coming across any spare if I do blow a tyre will be almost impossible.

So I find the bag is about the right size (I don't like filling up the jersey pockets - hate them sagging like an old elephant's a&$#). YMMV.
Mandatory helmet law?