How does RPM rate as a training method

Matthew

How does RPM rate as a training method

Postby Matthew » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Hey everyone. I just started racing and in my first race got my ass handed to me so was looking to train pretty heavily so it doesnt happen again. My gym has an RPM class on every evening and i was wondering how this rates as a training method for improving racing performance. I was hoping this as well as a few other rides every week would cause an improvement.

Thanks

Matt

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: How does RPM rate as a training method

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi Matt, RPM makes up the bulk of my training. Try initially doing 3 RPM classes per week and intermix them with plenty of road K's
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:58 pm

Matt,
I also do 3 RPM classes per week, and cycle most other days. I have found it great for fitness, and also for building leg-strength. Since starting RPM classes, I have definately improved my hill-climbing ability.
I have worn a heart rate monitor to a couple of classes, and got my heart rate up to 175 regularly, and burnt 600-800 calories in a session. and it's a great alternative if it's too wet to cycle.
And there's the added bonus of at least a couple of good sorts in every class. :wink: :wink:
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:49 pm

What is a RPM class ?? Do you take your bike and trainer???

MM

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Marty Moose wrote:What is a RPM class ?? Do you take your bike and trainer???

MM
You use the bike in the Spin Studio. Most Studio's offer the option of using SPD's or toeclips, but it does vary from place to place

Check out this video for an overview

http://www.lesmills.com/global/en/membe ... t-rpm.aspx

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Monday:
Ride 15 km to work (30 minutes)
Ride 15 km Home (30 Minutes)

Tuesday:
RPM MAX (55 minutes)
Swim if i feel up to it (30-50 minutes) Usually about half to 1 km

Wednesday:
Same as Monday
+ Regular RPM if i get there in time (45 minutes)

Thursday:
Same as monday

Friday:
RPM (45 minutes)

Saturday:
30 - 40 km race

Sunday:
rest

This only has 2 RPM sessions per week so maybe i should think about trying to fit another on in. the only problem is that i cant ride to work and do RPM on the same day because if i have to ride home when i finish at 5 i am really pushing it to get to the gym on time for 5:30 which is when RPM is on. Would you guys recomend riding to and from work more or RPMing more. I want to be able to do that RPM sessionon wednesday but im struggling to get there in time. Maybe it would be good for me to smash it back home so i can get thre in time.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Why don't you try extending some of your commutes...like adding an hour onto the ride home or similar.
A lot of people get their rears handed to them in their first few races...racing is more than just fitness.The best guys only use their energy when it matters...and are conserving the rest of the time.
Never done an RPM class..and never will (mainly because I am so sensitive to bike set-up)...but spend a LOT of time on the trainer at home in winter...been doing up to an hour of 30 seconds on /30 secs 3/4 ...boy it makes the boredom go away :D .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi Matthew, does your club do a training ride on Sundays 60 - 100k, if so you should do it. Monday and Thursday are effectively rest days as you just have a bit of commuting, though it does depend on how hard you commute

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 am

My club 'unofficially' has a ride on saturday mornings but id almost prefer to not do that if i am going to be racing that afternoon. I will definitely have to extend the ride home if i want to increase racing performance. while i am riding pretty hard for the entire 15 km the fact is still that its only 15 km. i think i need to get more longer rides in so i can keep the pace for the entire race and not get dropped. Thanks for your help everyone.

matt

valkis

Postby valkis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Don't worry about getting it handed to you in your first race - that happens to everyone. There's a pretty big step up from regular bike riding to racing, and it takes a while to bridge the gap. but it will happen.

Perhaps try skipping the RPM class the day before the race. do you find your legs tired on saturday? They need time to recover from hard workouts, which usually means doing an easy ride (for maybe an hr or so) the day after to get them ready for the next hard day.

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:43 am

Yep - my first race was a big learning curve. It was handed to me as well.
I learnt so much of how not to do it in that race it wasn't funny.
The marshalls were really good actually, he stayed with us in a smaller group off the back of the main bunch and just kept giving us tips etc.
I'd say the best training for crit racing is crit racing.
But good intervals and sprints help. Also do alot of riding at high intensity (85%-90% MHR). The longer you can ride at this intensity the better.