Road bike $1500 budget

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:27 pm

Cool movie, I can vaguely remember it from my childhood. Must give it another look.

So apart from product placement in an old movie do these bikes carry a decent reputation?

One of the things that I really liked on the cyclocross bikes were the second set of MTB style brake levers on the flat section of the drop bars. Are these easily added to a standard road bike?
The older I get, the better I was...

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:30 pm

The cyclocross levers are cheap and easy to add. They push against the housing of the cable while the main levers pull the cable.

They are not essential though, you won't use the flats that much on regular road riding, they're on cyclocross bikes so you can hike your weight way back and still reach a brake lever.

triode12

Postby triode12 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:47 pm

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:33 pm

thanks Triode. Very positive feedback but then again how many would post telling people they made a mistake with their hard earned.

It's has gone on the short list with the Lemond, if I can find one in Melbourne. The net only brings up the womens model.
The cyclocross levers are cheap and easy to add. They push against the housing of the cable while the main levers pull the cable.

They are not essential though, you won't use the flats that much on regular road riding, they're on cyclocross bikes so you can hike your weight way back and still reach a brake lever.
Good to know as I have a couple of heavy braking points on my commute. If I don't feel comfortable on the drops or insecure heavy braking on the hoods its good to know there is an alternative answer.

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Blybo wrote:It's has gone on the short list with the Lemond, if I can find one in Melbourne.
Blybo, if you're referring to the LeMond being available in Melbourne, they are owned by Trek, so just about any Trek dealer should be able to get them if they don't have floor stock.

BTW that Masi is a nice looking bike too and the specs seem good as well. Tough choice, but just remember to ride before you buy!
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:18 pm

Yeah I noticed that re the LeMond and I'm going to a store not far from home that do Trek but I'm hoping for a runout/clearance deal so ordering in may not give me the saving I'm after.

We shall see, and yes I will ride them both and others if I'm not happy with the feel. I don't want an expensive dust collector...

senator52

Postby senator52 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:25 pm

Blybo wrote:I'm not fimiliar with the Masi brand that's all, don't mind being a bit different though
The Masi name is an old italian brand which went defunct, stopped production or similar (I cant remember). Haro Bikes purchased the name to give them some credibility to venture into the road market.

kenny_bear

LBS balwyn ?

Postby kenny_bear » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:01 am

Hey Blybo,

would the LBS trying to sell you a cyclocross be somewhere around balwyn? I only ask because they were offering me the same advice but I already have a MB and won't be getting rid of it so why do I need two bikes that can do the same thing?

Blybo

Re: LBS balwyn ?

Postby Blybo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:56 am

kenny_bear wrote:Hey Blybo,

would the LBS trying to sell you a cyclocross be somewhere around balwyn? I only ask because they were offering me the same advice but I already have a MB and won't be getting rid of it so why do I need two bikes that can do the same thing?
Greythorn, but no names :wink: ... They weren't overly pushing me , I think I brought it up as they do stand out from the pure road bikes. I live very close to Balwyn though.

If your a local too and do get a road bike maybe we can get together for a ride some day as we try to master the sharper responsiveness of road bikes. I did have a cheapy 15 years ago but I'm sure things have changed alot, as has my waistline :oops:

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:59 am

senator52 wrote:The Masi name is an old italian brand which went defunct, stopped production or similar (I cant remember). Haro Bikes purchased the name to give them some credibility to venture into the road market.
Well I don't mind that at all, Haro was a hero of mine growing up, while he was still riding freestyle and developing a few parts... I bet the company has nothing to do with him though :roll:

kenny_bear

Postby kenny_bear » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:59 am

Yeah I'm a local too.

My commute is:

Greythorn rd,
Whitehorse rd,
Balwyn rd,
Mont Albert rd,
Burke rd
Barkers rd,
Victoria Pde
and a little bit of weaving that brings me out at Bourke and Exhibition st.

Just shy of 15 km and takes 40 min.
Going home is harder and about 10 % longer in time.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:20 pm

Still on the MTB.
I enter the Eastern fwy bike path at Elgar Road city bound, turn left at Chandler hwy, right in to Princess street (what a hill just keeps getting steeper :x ), backsteets through Kew towards Richmond, over the footbridge that comes out opposite Victoria Gardens, then a couple of back streets to work. Roughly 16.5ks in about 42-45 minutes.

Slightly different route to the bike path of an evening but yep harder work but slightly more direct so time is about the same.

I tried using Belmore road on the way home when I got back into cycling a couple of months ago and it beat me. 5 kg's lighter now and much fitter so I'll give it ago again when I get the roadie.

Looks like the Masi if they can get the size for me

kenny_bear

Postby kenny_bear » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:38 pm

Seen the bike signs to the bridge you're talking about. Might have to give it a go one day. At least it will get rid of barkers rd!

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:52 pm

I only recommend using that bridge inbound unless your looking for climbing practice. Very steep hill but not overly long from there up to Studley Park Road :shock: or you could go the longer way right around Yarra Boulevard to Studley Park road or Chandler Hwy.

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:25 pm

inaminit wrote:......I'm currently 92.5kg, bought mine almost 4 weeks ago and have done a touch over 600km on her, and the wheels are still staight.......
I hereby retract this statement due to putting the mokka on myself and breaking a spoke 22km from home yesterday morning :evil:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:16 pm

Sorry to hear that inaminit. So far from home too. hope you had a phone and CC for taxi. At least it will be a warranty job, won't it?

Found out yesterday that the Masi is no longer available in my size at that price. My good news is that I test rode a Tourmalet this morning. Didn't plan to as I had a busy day ahead but by sheer coincidence drove past a shop with the Lemond sign above. Dropped in on way home and they have a couple in stock. Felt great and they look superb, don't think I'll need to ride anything else, as a few people said would happen, the Tourmalet is singing to me. First time on a road bike in 15 years and it just felt right. I'll need to change to a bigger rear cassette, the standard one is too highly geared for my current hill climbing ability. might also change to a narrower bar and gel seat.

Will probably go back next Saturday to get fitted up. Very happy chappy today :D :D

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:14 pm

Couldn't wait, found an excuse at work this morning to visit a customer near the store and am now the proud owner of a Lemond Tourmalet.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Congrats Blybo! Pics please .....

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:54 pm

Would love to Graeme but lent my camera to the folks for a OS holiday. Once the other half gets over the shock of the visa bill I'll sheepishly ask to borrow her DSLR.

kenny_bear

Postby kenny_bear » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:56 pm

So Blybo - What store!!!!

No harm plugging for good service.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Croydon Cycleworks. Not exactly close to home but couldn't find a LeMond to test ride in the inner suburbs. They were a great help and fitted me to the bike today and will do so again in a couple of months time more accurately when I have settled into the different position of a roadie and might be able to give them better feed back.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:18 pm

Good one mate. Piccies please ... or she don't exist :wink:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi all,

Newbie here - new to cycling, new to the forum.

I bought myself an inexpensive, but seemingly nice bike on the recommendation of the coach of our biathlon squad at our gym here in Brisbane.

I went through CELL Bikes - look them up online - I bought a BLADE - but overall looking through their range it seems pretty good, and their service is quick.

They have a shop in Stanmore? in Sydney, and dealerships through 99Bikes here in Brisbane.

Have a look - can't hurt. :)