Clubs in Western Sydney

Piotrs

Clubs in Western Sydney

Postby Piotrs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi guys,

Im looking to join a club in Western Sydney to get some group riding experience and meet a few people. Ideally id like to start racing in a low grade but that will wait until after June (in final semester of uni).

Could someone point me to a good club to join in Western Sydney?

Thanks
2009 Scott Speedster S30

brendancg

Re: Clubs in Western Sydney

Postby brendancg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:32 am

Depends where in Western Sydney you are. There is Panthers, Parramatta, Lidcombe Auburn, MacArthur Collegians, Marconi, Waratah Vets, Bankstown. The best way to find a club is look on the cycling NSW website. They have a list of all the affiliated clubs in NSW and you can take it from there.
Yesterday was an easy day.

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:53 am

Any clubs particularly friendly to newcomers/starters, or are they all much the same?

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:11 pm

I am a member of Penrith and I can only say that they have been nothing but friendly. The ordinary punter is the life blood of these clubs and from my experience whenever you attend they go out of their way to be friendly. I suggest rock up to a few races at different locations and just watch how it all works. Get a feel for the club that you feel most comfortable with and go with that.
Yesterday was an easy day.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 pm

I haven't yet met riders in clubs that aren't friendly!

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:50 pm

Cheers fellas. I'm tossing up between Parramatta and Penrith to be honest, don't really know anyone in either club so it's all new to me. Good idea about rocking up to few races though.

(Aside: Mentioned this dilema to Mrs Safari. She advised to join the club with the best looking club kit. I lol'd)

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:13 pm

ve safari wrote:Cheers fellas. I'm tossing up between Parramatta and Penrith to be honest, don't really know anyone in either club so it's all new to me. Good idea about rocking up to few races though.

(Aside: Mentioned this dilema to Mrs Safari. She advised to join the club with the best looking club kit. I lol'd)
Considering you can ride at most events irrespective of which club you belong to (except for local club championships) that's not a bad idea. Or at least the kit you like the $$ of the most :lol: I think Waratahs is a bit cheaper than some of the others but do a search on their websites.

Good luck have fun.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad