cold weather training gear

Parrott

cold weather training gear

Postby Parrott » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:48 pm

I pretty well wussed out of any early morning training rides last year partially due to not having adequate clothing and having a break from racing. Just did some trainer sessions and rode later in the day. This year I plan to ride to work in the morning a bit more as its a good distance for 2x20 and an efficient use of time with family, work and all. It gets to around 0 degrees c here in winter and as its not that far away (days are getting a fair bit shorter anyway) what sort of gear do people use, gloves tights and tops wise?

ve safari

Re: cold weather training gear

Postby ve safari » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Calling TLL, calling TLL...

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:17 pm

:lol: ...I would give anything for a 0C day maximum at the moment :lol: .
Gloves and shoe covers are the most important.
For a day like that I would have winter gloves (thin liner gloves inside if it is below zero).I have trouble with damaged fingers and next winter I will go some serious mountaineering gloves.For 0C normal shoes are fine with good covers.I wear two pairs...one insulated with another neoprene set on top.With thickish socks.Long sleeve under garment with rather expensive winter top.I sometimes wear two winter tops and arm warmers.Neck rings are AWESUM!.I have a beanie under my helmet.Most people don't wear helmets in winter but it can be a bit slippery here.I wear my Assos summer knicks with winter full lengths on top.If it is really cold I put leg warmers over that.
Perspiration is the main issue...if you are training...not touring then you will be sweating so you can't really stop.So for me it is important to know what I want to achieve in my session...with that set up you could ride all day at zero.
My maximum this winter was about 90minutes in minus 12 to 15.I was in pure agony once I got home :lol: .
ANd here I am.... :D

shiv

Postby shiv » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:00 am

:shock: How long does it take you to put all that on?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 am

10 minutes or so...depends if I need to glad wrap my shoes or not :lol: .
The one thing you have to be is organized in winter. Forgetting to dry gloves or shoes pretty much means you don't get to ride.
Either that or have two or 3 of everything...gets expensive thou.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:23 am

For me its full length gloves, arm warmers, wollen undershirt (must to keep cold air form your chest), leg warmers, head warmer for the really cold mornings. Dont forget the quality rain jacket, I wear one with pockets in the rear, full length zipper, ear piece eyelets, and cuffs to keep the cold air and water out. Also has vents under the arm. I love my Rapha jacket!!

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:15 am

RobRollin wrote:must to keep cold air form your chest
a gilet/windproof vest is ideal

sydney doesnt get much below 12 so a singlet, jersey, vest, armwarmers, full-lenght knicks, gloves and overshoes/booties are about all you need
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Wino

Postby Wino » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:15 am

I find my shoes have great ventilation during summer, so I'm not looking forward to winter as I'm sure my feet will freeze. Anyone recommend shoe covers/booteys that are wind-proof and adequately water resistant. And not super-duper expensive?
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:06 am

This is a sad list I created because I kept forgetting what to wear. Assos catalogue has a good set of temps and what to wear, not that too many of us could afford 100% Assos for any condition.

Last edited by ft_critical on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:10 pm

This is actually very useful though! Might try something like this when winter comes to Canberra.
Last edited by yyeric on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Wino wrote:I find my shoes have great ventilation during summer, so I'm not looking forward to winter as I'm sure my feet will freeze. Anyone recommend shoe covers/booteys that are wind-proof and adequately water resistant. And not super-duper expensive?
UNO booties are quite good and breathable, and put some gaffer tape over the vent holes in the underside of the shoes. But at -5C, I still get cold feet.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:34 pm

twizzle wrote: But at -5C, I still get cold feet.
Try glad (cling) wrapping over either your shoes or socks as is your preference twizzle. This is a great 'old pro' trick for cold + wet.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 pm

ft_critical wrote:
twizzle wrote: But at -5C, I still get cold feet.
Try glad (cling) wrapping over either your shoes or socks as is your preference twizzle. This is a great 'old pro' trick for cold + wet.
Cold or wet, yes.

Cold + wet = princess mode.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 pm

toolonglegs wrote::lol: ...I would give anything for a 0C day maximum at the moment :lol: .
Gloves and shoe covers are the most important.

Thanks TLL, I have some torpedo7 neoprene booties already so will have to get some long fingered gloves. Will fleecy lined bibknicks, a gillet and arm warmers and summer jersey be warm enough? Hope I don't have to buy all that gear you have on that looks expensive

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:19 pm

ft_critical wrote:This is a sad list I created because I kept forgetting what to wear. Assos catalogue has a good set of temps and what to wear, not that too many of us could afford 100% Assos for any condition.

Yep assos are a few levels up from what I will be looking at, the table looks handy though, thanks.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Parrott wrote:Will fleecy lined bibknicks, a gillet and arm warmers and summer jersey be warm enough? Hope I don't have to buy all that gear you have on that looks expensive
I find the fleece longs are very hot hence only under 5 deg for me and careful what the temp will be at the end of the ride. If they have a chamois, which most don't (IME) then you need to wear bibs under them... But I guess bib fleece longs are probably going to have a chamois, didn't know they made these, anway...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:32 pm

My long knicks are fleecy lined.They do have a chamois but I still wear my Assos knicks under them or I get to cold.
Parrot,I would say you need a mild winter long sleeve top as well...but that should be all once you get descent gloves.
I suppose in a way here it is easier as it stays cold,in Oz it can be chilly at 6 am but by 8am you are way too hot.
Wino,I tape up my vents on lightweight carbon shoes in winter and then put warmers over the top.I only really go to gortex winter boots when it is really cold.
I also glad wrap and tin foil if needed...glad wrap on outside of shoes under bootie covers is fantastic when wet.
I even tin foil a few of my problem fingers on top of my inner gloves before putting my winter gloves on...gives me another 30 minutes :lol: .

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:38 pm

I've never had any sort of longs or anything warmer than arm warmers as far as tops go. Maybe unlined biblongs will do in conjunction with a gillet and arm warmers? That would be good, the cheaper the better as I'll probably need at least 2 sets of what ever works.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:40 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My long knicks are fleecy lined.They do have a chamois but I still wear my Assos knicks under them or I get to cold.
Parrot,I would say you need a mild winter long sleeve top as well...but that should be all once you get descent gloves.
I suppose in a way here it is easier as it stays cold,in Oz it can be chilly at 6 am but by 8am you are way too hot.
Wino,I tape up my vents on lightweight carbon shoes in winter and then put warmers over the top.I only really go to gortex winter boots when it is really cold.
I also glad wrap and tin foil if needed...glad wrap on outside of shoes under bootie covers is fantastic when wet.
I even tin foil a few of my problem fingers on top of my inner gloves before putting my winter gloves on...gives me another 30 minutes :lol: .

I've seen those vids of yours TLL :shock: not surprised at the layers you need :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:45 pm

It is more important to keep your core warm...a summer top,gilet and arm warmers doesn't really have any warmth.Saying that my stuff only has warmth once I am riding.Once I stop I have to get in the shower pretty quick.Would hate to have serious break down on a really cold day :shock: .
You might be able to get away with full length leg warmers and normal or 3/4 knicks.Your legs should take the cold better than your core...when you core is cold all your energy is diverted there to keep you warm and less for the extremities.
A fleecy neck ring is super cheap and works a treat to keep cool air of your chest and keep your throat healthy.You use a lot of water in cold weather as you body tries to moisten the cold air coming in before it enters your lungs.
Also a beanie or fleecy ear warmer under the helmet can help too...cold wind rushing over your ears can give you a good head ache.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 pm

I have some long sleeve thermal tops kindly supplied by work :) so might try them with a long sleeve winter top and something to keep the wind off my chest?

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 pm

I got one of those windproof jackets from cyclingdeal last winter.
Boy do they work.....they can get sweaty though on longer rides. But opening the zip up works - the back has mesh so you can cool down quite quickly with the air flowing through.

But I normally wear the following on a cold Melbourne morning:
compression top
thin longsleeve climacool top
cyclingdeal jacket
fleecy full legg'd cycling pants (cyclingdeal)
thick socks
beanie
windproof gloves
clear glasses - keep the cold wind out from the eyes

I may drop the thick socks this year and get some shoe covers......

shiv

Postby shiv » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 pm

I may be slightly crazy, but it sounds like heaps of fun to go riding in super cold weather. I never need more then a singlet, arm and knee warmers in Adelaide. Thought about riding up Mt Hotham back in august but didnt get to, all this talk makes me wana go back and try again!!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:01 pm

shiv wrote:I may be slightly crazy.... I never need more then a singlet, arm and knee warmers in Adelaide.
Ooooo, yuck, cycling without nicks/shorts. :shock: :shock: Watch out for the boys from Oxford Street CC. :P