Numbness in hands

diamondo

Numbness in hands

Postby diamondo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi Guys,
I usually get a numbness in one of my hands after a 50-60 kms of riding. Am riding a MTB with front suspension and usual bars on suburban trails.
Have tried using (overpriced Oury) squishy grips to absorb some of the shock through the bars, and have tried bar ends. No change.
My hands, but particularly my right hand has a partial numbness for several hours after the ride. Have thought of changing gloves, but I suspect the problem is physical in origin (I'm early 50s) rather than simply a shock absorption thing.

Any recommendations before I head off to the physio?

Scuba23

Re: Numbness in hands

Postby Scuba23 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm

G'day
I had similar problems on my road bike when I first started out and it took ages to get it sorted. I was seeing a physio at the time as well and he was manipulating my shoulders and mid / upper back to try and release built up pressure, this helped but wasnt the answer. I hit the bike shop a few times and worked with them to get a decent bike fit done, this proved to be the key and the numbness subsided with in a week.
I still get the numbness every now and then but shaking my hands or riding with my hands off the bars for a while gets the feeling back quickly.
I dont know how much this will help seeing as your on a MTB and the bike fit is different but I would still suggest heading in for a proper measured bike fit. Could be as simple as moving the seat back or forward and/or up or down. Changing the stem length and bar height can also help. (I now ride with a raised stem, narrower handlebars and a level seat - bar height. worked for me.
Good luck keep us posted
I have to ride early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing...

diamondo

Postby diamondo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info.
Raising the stem had occurred to me, but an a bike fit sounds better. (It's not something I have thought about til now, since I only ride weekends)

Anyone out there recommend a LBS in the eastern suburbs (Melb) for a bike fit?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 pm

diamondo wrote:Hi Guys,
I usually get a numbness in one of my hands after a 50-60 kms of riding. Am riding a MTB with front suspension and usual bars on suburban trails.
Have tried using (overpriced Oury) squishy grips to absorb some of the shock through the bars, and have tried bar ends. No change.
My hands, but particularly my right hand has a partial numbness for several hours after the ride. Have thought of changing gloves, but I suspect the problem is physical in origin (I'm early 50s) rather than simply a shock absorption thing.

Any recommendations before I head off to the physio?

Do a search for carpal palsy

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 pm

I got mine done at Bicycle Superstore - Dandenong, for around $40.
Spent a good hour with me.
However since then they've got some new equipment, so prol more expensive now

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Diamondo, I put these (or similar) onto my flat bar:
I still have bar-ends, and with these on, I fell like it is driving with an arm-rest, I'm now resting my hands more on the buldgy bit. I used to get numbness most days, and since putting on (around two weeks ago), have not had an issue (including 80k+ rides).

It may not work for you, but for around $20.00, the worst that is going to happen is you sell them on e-bay, and you could always have the bike fit after.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:38 am

You can also get mitts with a gel pad on the palm that helps quite a bit to. :)
Last edited by foo on patrol on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Yo can also get mitts with a gel pad on the palm that helps quite a bit to. :)
but that's treating the symptom, not the cause.

+1 for a bike fit
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

damonik

Postby damonik » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 pm

FWIW I've had two bike fits with Rick Churchill here in Perth and I still get numb hands when riding. Nowadays I just adjust my hand position frequently and every 15-20 minutes give them a break from holding onto the bars. Used to drive me insane, now I just HTFU :)
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

diamondo

Postby diamondo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for your all responses...

Wasn't quite sure I had an actual condition (I understood it just as 'age') until I did a search on 'carpal syndrome'.
I now have what sounds like a diagnosis. (Thanks to jt critical)

See link below if you're a fellow sufferer..

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm

diamondo wrote:Thanks for your all responses...

Wasn't quite sure I had an actual condition (I understood it just as 'age') until I did a search on 'carpal syndrome'.
I now have what sounds like a diagnosis. (Thanks to jt critical)

See link below if you're a fellow sufferer..

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm
I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists which I manage (not cure) with exercises. When I first started cycling I had a lot of trouble with numbness and tingling but better core strength, bike posture, bike set up (fit), gloves, a lighter grip and moving my hands around means that I no longer suffer from numbness, tingling or pain at all when riding (even though I regularly ride up to 200km).

There is some great advice in the article you posted. You might also get some extra info here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18074 and here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19291

Actually, ulnar neuropathy is pretty common in cyclists, so you are not alone.
<removed by request>

Scuba23

Postby Scuba23 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 pm

I started a thread on this topic a few months back - may be worth a look for you?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19291
I have to ride early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing...