Perth/Fremantle PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

rolandp

Perth/Fremantle PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby rolandp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:01 am

Given the recent events including Karrakatta Underpass, PSP City West and Subiaco Underpass Collision, I’ve pulled together a Google Map which highlights these items and others on and around the principle shared path (PSP) Perth to Fremantle.

I have done similar Google Maps in the past for sections of the northern PSP, and will try to pull those together soon into one map for the northern PSP.

This is where I need your help, to review and provide input into these maps. If you are aware of additional items on this PSP (bearing in mind that my homeward commute is normally to Subiaco where I turn off to the coast), or disagree with any items, let me know and they can be added/changed. If you also have better images, let me know where they are. I will also try to link some of the items back to News Paper Articles or Forum topics (just haven’t had the time whilst pulling this together)

I am also looking at someone to help with the Southern and Eastern PSP routes, which I travel less on. Please let me know if you would like to volunteer, even if it is to show me the paths one week-end.

This data can then be used to highlight to relevant authorities the type of issues we deal with on a daily basis and hopefully support justification for change.

Click on Perth to Fremantle PSP - Cyclists critique of the infrastructure Google Map and let me know what you think.

hiflange

Re: Perth/Fremantle PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby hiflange » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 am

Hi Roland
• The western interface of the Karrakatta underpass PSP could easily be misjudged and direct cycle traffic into the road.
• There is an "S" bend at Claremont Showgrounds which has very poor visibility from either direction
• In your picture of the cycle path ends sign in Claremont you can see a street light pole which is too close to the edge of the path on a corner; bad if you're passing cycle traffic travelling in the other direction
• There is a bad camber on the turn below the NW carpark at Claremont Station, it gets covered in sand drifting off the lawn and becomes a slip hazard. Also a slip hazard in the wet.
• At your poor parking note some motorists find it easier to exit parking by driving forwards over the PSP, rather than reversing onto Claremont Cr
• If you take the beach path past Leighton and Port Beaches, it is poorly marked, sometime too narrow and gets covered with sand and bad parkers. Also quite disrupted at Leighton due to construction works
• If you take Curtin Ave the marked lane conks out at Port Beach and puts you too close to traffic for comfort.
• Path across the old traffic bridge is too narrow
• If you're going to Stirling Bridge, there is a traffic sign placed too close to the PSP interface at the SE corner of Stirling Hwy and Tydeman Road
I'm happy to take pics of the last 4 points and forward to you

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:56 am

Hi Roland

Roe Hwy I've got for you up until Albany Hwy/Railway Rd
Heading East on it
By Langford Sports centre there is a blindish corner that is often covered with sand/gravel. Looks like it is being used by cars, motorbikes. Cyclists go thru there fast and could easily be an accident due to this.
Where I normally turn off there underneath Albany Hwy there is also another corner covered with sand/gravel. Bit of an issue due to the puncture fairy but for cyclists heading straight it's ok, and for a turning cyclist they are going slow enough, but still :roll:

I am more than happy to roll along with you on Roe Hwy Roland.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

Likewise I would be happy to explore more of the PSP's around Perth. I find I spend more time on the road.
Great initiative Roland.
Much potential in this approach.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks, Roland, that is a great piece of work documenting the current status of this section of the PSP. I have taken the liberty of drawing the attention of DPI, PTA and MainRoads to this thread.

Regards,
Heinrich
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 am

rolandp wrote:I am also looking at someone to help with the Southern and Eastern PSP routes, which I travel less on. Please let me know if you would like to volunteer, even if it is to show me the paths one week-end.
I do a commute now and then from Claisebrook to Kelmscott along the PSP route and am happy to help out with information between these locations. Would a GPS track log help or would you prefer to see the 'real thing'?
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:10 am

Glad you liked it and the offers of help.

Robert have updated the map to include your items, and please either pass on links to the images, or e-mail them.

I'm thinking of doing the East route next, as I think there will be more items (eg East Perth Bridge, the train station overpass etc). If anyone rides this way, then let me know if you would like to join in, in particular if you have a bike/helmet mounted video camera as I would also like to get video images as well as stills.

Baalzamon, I'll do the South route after that, though I'm not too sure how I'm going to record the southernly wind as being one of the biggest items for this route.

Fixed, let me know when you want to come.

DoubleGee, I would be more than happy to show you how this is done (it is only Excel with a macro which creates the required output, which is loaded up into Google Maps), if you want to map the Claisebrook to Kelmscott.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:11 pm

I have a couple more points to add to the Perth to Freo map;
• The path between Swanbourne Station and the Stirling St rail overpass is subject to frequent flooding in winter. There is inadequate drainage at a few points and water puddles across the whole path for days at a time. (Can't photograph this til it rains :-))
• 100m to the west of the rail bridge over Tydeman Road in N Freo there is a telephone junction box in the path.
I've photographed this and the other points I mentioned previously and PMed rolandp for email address to send to.

One interesting thing I noted when looking at the whole map is the comparative lack of red crosses through the Shires of Nedlands and Cottesloe. It should be noted that this is not due to the lack of cycle path problems, rather it is due to the lack of cycle path!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:41 pm

The map has been updated with the additional points from Robert, with the exception of his photos. I'm currently intenet shapped at the moment and is taking too long to upload the images.

I will also look to see how the non-bicycle path can be represented. If anyone has played with Excel to draw lines on Google Maps let me know.

Due to the internet shapping, it has been too painful to map the Northern section and will do that next week-end, with hopefully getting out to photograph the eastern section soon after.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:13 am

I have bandwidth again, and was able to load up Robert's photographs last night. Please see:
Perth to Fremantle PSP - Cyclists critique of the infrastructure Google Map
for the latest items for the western section of the PSP.

The next map is the northern section, Perth to end of the freeway (north).

fixed

Postby fixed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:16 pm

More critique additional
sight lines for pedestrians at City West station are obscured
sight lines for cyclists are obscured
Stubbs terrace bike path is VERY DARK and poorly lit. Well it was at 5.00am saturday
Stubbs terrace bike path has numerous Moreton bay fig trees dropping fruit onto the path. The path is infrequently swept to remove the slip hazard, this is especially of concern for the corner entering the car park at Daglish station
the intersection of stubbs terrace and mofflin is poorly lit by street lights, this is a section where there is no bicycle path on the road shoulder
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:26 pm

If you need help and photos, I can do the southern freeway PSP from Thomas road to just over the Narrows, in the next couple of days (would do it tonight, but only iphone and probably only ride to Cockburn). And also do Thomas road to Pinjarra Road on the weekend (other than sand on the PSP in a couple of places, it is an easy and safe ride).

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:23 am

Perth to Fremantle PSP - Cyclists critique of the infrastructure Google Map was updated to reflect fixed critique. Keep them coming.

Nickobec, hopefully will be doing the south section soon and will let you southerns know when. Thanks for the offer.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Some of the items for City West train station are labelled City North train station, which may cause confusion.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks MikeDufty, have corrected these to show City West. Any other items for this PSP?

the-waves

Re: Perth/Fremantle PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastruct

Postby the-waves » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 pm

The corner of Tydeman & Napier Road in Fremantle is terrible for trucks wizzing in onto Napier from Tydeman, the angle of the bike path is such that it is very difficult to see oncoming trucks.

Corner of Hampton & High Street in Fremantle - Bike path disappears for about 100m leaving cyclist no way to complete their journey without cycling on the narrow busy road with trucks.