Tyre decision time

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Tyre decision time

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:21 am

My recent ride over a bike at 50kph plus has destroyed my front tyre. I'm running supersonics 20mm front, 23mm rear. Both at 160psi on wood and 140psi on concrete. As both tyres are around 2 years old, I might as well replace both.

The obvious choice to me is to buy supersoncis 20mm and 23mm, ie what I have. However one of the guys at the track was recommending open course CX slicks

Looking on PBK
Continental Supersonic Folding Tyre 20mm and 23mm A$54.35

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX II 20mm $56.45
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX II 23mm $56.45

I've never used latex tubes, perhaps its time to upgrade to them
Michelin Air Comp Latex Inner Tube Standard Valve(36mm) 700 X 18-20C
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tyre decision time

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:11 am

Corsa

Postby Corsa » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:10 pm

If I were to use HP's to race on the track (no longer ride track and raced on singles when I did) I'd be looking at Veloflex Records with latex tubes. I think PBK stock them at a good price too.

brendan

Postby brendan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Corsa wrote:
Veloflex Records

this.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:56 am

Veloflex Record is $7 cheaper than Supersonics and seem to be slightly better on paper;
- Rec is 10gms lighter (20mm)
- Rec = 350tpi vs Sup = 310tpi

However I have 2 concerns;
- Rec max recommended pressure is 145psi, where I am running 160psi on wood (140psi on concrete)
- There is no 23mm version (at least not at PBK), so would end up running 20mm both ends

There isn't a hell of a lot difference between them.

Leaning towards Records. I'll sit on it for one more day and then I'll order.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:34 am

Would it not have something to do with, the amount of flex in the side walls? If the tyre has a recommended max pressure 145lbs then that would be the same as one with 160lbs. The difference would be in the track contact area compound. :idea: That is my thinking on it.

Gary
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Corsa

Postby Corsa » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 am

What clincher rims have a manufacturer's rating of 160psi max.? :shock:

alex

Postby alex » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:00 am

you would take the veloflex over the conti any day
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:02 pm

I've never had any problems running 160psi on alloy rims. I wouldn't do it on carbon rims. If/when I move to some decent race wheels, I'll also switch to singles.

Ordered Veloflex and Latex tubes. Hopefully my order will arrive by next Thursday and I can take them down Tempe and scrub them in on concrete.

NSW Masters Points race Sat Week. I might just change the front for that meet and then change the rear for subsequent events.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Mikesbytes,
Since you are well involved on the track, now, and seem to be up with the latest.
Found a pair of IRC tubed lightweight "Paperlite" 155 which is the weight in grams,
they seem very well (hand) made in Japan, have you seen or heard of any one using these?
They are super-lightweight, and super-high pressure, do you think they would be suitable
for the track. Or will it always go back to singles. :wink:
You or someone else may have knowledge of these.
Thanks,
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 pm

BrentonO, correct me if I'm wrong but in Perth there is one velodrome and that's an indoor wooden one. Everyone returning to the sport after a time away will each take a different approach. The approach I would take would be to initially use whatever equipment I already had, the desire to go faster will soon burn that hole in the pocket.

Now if, or should I say when I was to buy some new wheels, I'd go for deeper ones for better aerodynamics and to get that deepness, that means carbon. Now I would never inflate a clincher past the rim limit on carbon rims, so to get the high pressures that wood can afford, that means going for singles, as singles do not stress the rims like clinchers do.

And while we all talk about how much better some wheels are than others, I have to admit that when I rode on Zip404's with singles at the UCI World Masters Track championships I didn't feel a heck of a lot of difference to my usual alloy clinchers. But then again, I've only been racing for 3 seasons, still a green horn.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the IRC's and I'm not aware of anyone using them. A search on the internet revealed some positive outcomes. I noted that the 155gms was for the 650c. Last time I used IRC was when I was a school kiddie commuting on a 27"er. You could turn up at the Velodrome when there is a meet or training session and have a look at what everyone is using.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Mikesbytes,
Thanks for taking the time, and all the info.
No these I have, a pair, new in the box are 700 x 20C,
155 gram and very well made.
Thought they may have been of interest to a trackie,
doubt whether I may ever get to use them.
Probably will move them, out to the Marketplace.
Thanks, again.
Cheers,
BrentonO

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:22 pm

My Veloflex Records arrived. Too late for me to scrub them in on a concrete velodrome. So begs the question, should I mount the front one for Saturday at DGV or not.

I'm thinking I'll mount it, take it out during the warmup session and if it slides around on the wood, I'll change back to the road tyre for the race

bman81

Postby bman81 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Mount it, give it a light rub with some sandpaper then a good wipe-down with a damp cloth (mix of one part vinegar to three parts water) should make the rubber plenty sticky.

alex

Postby alex » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:46 pm

go for a few laps around the block
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:19 pm

bman81 wrote:Mount it, give it a light rub with some sandpaper then a good wipe-down with a damp cloth (mix of one part vinegar to three parts water) should make the rubber plenty sticky.
I was thinking of giving it a sand, I didn't know the trick of wiping it down. It doesn't seem to have the skin that other tyres have, so I'm not so sure its needed. Will take some sandpaper with me.
alex wrote:go for a few laps around the block
That was going to be my approach, throw it on a road bike and go for a spin. Then I got the tyre.... one glass cut and the tyre goes straight into the bin. Reading posts on it, I can't believe that some do road racing on them in the US.

alex

Postby alex » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:29 am

i used them for about 6 months on my road bike, training and racing, with no probs at all

they do wear out quickly though

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:06 am

I put the front one (Veloflex Records) on tonight with a latex tube and raced in the NSW masters points championships. While it griped and rolled well, it didn't stop me making a serious tactical mistake

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:40 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I put the front one (Veloflex Records) on tonight with a latex tube and raced in the NSW masters points championships. While it griped and rolled well, it didn't stop me making a serious tactical mistake
Did it come with a warranty for this occurrence, if so, you have a claim? :mrgreen:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm waiting on a pair of Records also.

My track bike came with wire bead zaffiro's, I was rolling around the 250m wooden track here in WA at about 19 ish km/h with a bit of a slide from the rear tyre so I stayed at 20 km/h and felt fine.
My front tyre blew off the rim sitting at home so I switched it over to a 1 year old Vredestein Tri-Comp. This tyre is beautiful on the road but on the track... Getting ready for a flying 200 I was rolling around above the blue line at about 30 km/h when the front tyre slid! It didn't catastrophically slid and catch on fire, but the slide was noticeable.

The tri-comp has a hard centre strip but soft corners, it makes me think that because I was rolling fairly upright, the soft corners didn't have much grip on the wood at all. Therefore, is it safe to say that soft tyres are for the road, and hard tyres for the track?
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:46 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I put the front one (Veloflex Records) on tonight with a latex tube and raced in the NSW masters points championships. While it griped and rolled well, it didn't stop me making a serious tactical mistake
Did it come with a warranty for this occurrence, if so, you have a claim? :mrgreen:
LOL, having the best tyre in the world isn't going to help you, if you make bad decisions during the race

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:10 am

So true! :mrgreen:
Goal 6000km

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:48 pm

In competition, a split second of indecision, is fatal, :(
as you get more experienced you will work on instinct, it will come. :wink:
Cheers,
BrentonO