Training Day Meal

ft_critical

Training Day Meal

Postby ft_critical » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:53 pm

I thought it would be amusing, embarassing and enlightening to post what you have on a typical training day in the way of food. A training day is 70 to 90k for me.
  • -Pre-ride: Coffee + 2 sugar, wholemeal toast + slice of cheese and small can of baked beans.
    -Breakfast: two wholemeal toast plus peanut butter and vegemite (don’t ask) one coffee + 2 sugars
    -Morning Tea: Coffee + 2 and two scotch finger biscuits mmmm (stopped this)
    -Lunch: bowl of fried rice.
    -Afternoon Tea: two scoops of cashews and a few chocolate buttons (work hates our tummies they put out all sorts of horrors for us you wouldn’t believe it) (substituted this with an apple)
    -Dinner: glass of OJ, stir-fry with rice (for example)
    -Snack: two pieces of toast with promite (trying to stop this but failing as I am so hungry at nights, don't know why)
    -Otherwise it is water.

JV911

Re: Training Day Meal

Postby JV911 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:54 pm

today:

up at 5am
pre ride - muslie
post ride - banana, trail bar
9am short black
10am apple, carrot, apricot
11am vegemite sando
2pm 2 x grilled chicken sandos (wholegrain)
6pm handful of nuts
7pm dunno yet...probably spicy grilled chicken breast, roast veg & brocolli
9pm cup of tea and a cookie
water throughout the day
Last edited by JV911 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Dunk

Postby Dunk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Pre ride - Banana
Breakfast - 3/4 cup muesli w/ lite milk
9am - coffee
10am - coffee
11am - fruit
1pm - sushi
2pm - coffee
6pm - dinner - pasta or meat and veg/cous cous etc
8pm - lite yougurt

Water constantly throughout the day.

Nix

Postby Nix » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 am

I'm trying to watch what I eat and keep a diary of how I feel through the day after tanking a couple of weeks ago after a morning ride.. Generally:
Pre ride - Up & Go and banana
8-9am (whenever I get to work) - 4 weetbix & short black
11am banana & short black
12.30 - 4 vita wheats with tuna/ham & various toppings (always cheese)
3pm - 100g of tuna
6pm - dinner (tonight grilled fish with stir fry vegies)
7pm - yoghurt (lite)

After my compulsory coffee's in the morning, I usually have a green tea every 2 hours (not really for the health benefits, I just needed to stop having coffee's every 2 hours and this seemed better for me) and I'd get through ~2-3 litres of water through the entire day (after my ride which I'll usually drink 750ml)

If I'm feeling like I'm falling asleep, I might sneak in some lollies through the day and promise myself I'll ride extra hard tomorrow to burn them off ;)

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:23 am

Pre Ride - oj, cereal and yogurt (depends on distance)
8:30am - 9:00am - Cofffffeeeeeeeeee and peanut butter on toast (1 slice)
10:30 carrots sticks
11:30 - celery sticks
1.00pm - Cofffffeeee + salad sandwhich and on the side chopped up cucumber/carrots/celery
3:00pm - Banana + toast
5:00pm - orange/nuts
7:00pm dinner Chop Chop (some personal trainer (Donna Aston me thinks) in South Yarra is making her rich and famous clients eat this and its the bomb)

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:39 pm

:lol: :lol: Bloody oath I eat more junk than all of you put together :shock: :lol:

Its fairly strait forward for me, I eat when im hungry and can get at something to eat....full stop.

I dont eat when im bored, I dont eat something just because it tastes nice.

If that really is what you guys eat on a day to day basis, with plenty of exercise and still have weight issues!! Then I must be genetically gifted :shock: :lol:

I dont take much notice but I love steak[well most meats] fried chicken...mmmm, maccas...hell yeah, hungry jacks..fish n chips, coke, samboys by the kg :lol: I do like fruit and veg and grow as much as I can[its been a bumper year for strawberrys :D , lots of spuds,beetroot and tomatos ] There have been times ive tried putting on weight, after illness and when I was younger for putting on muscle. I ate enough for 3 men and would only slowly gain weight, I dont know any way to put it other than some people idle faster than others and I must idle just below redline. Im 33 soon and theres no sign of middle age spread that everyone predicted, still thin...only prob is my hair is now the same :lol:

The one difference I see with family and friends who are much bigger than me is the size of our meals, im more a grazer.

Good thread though even for someone like me who doesnt take training seriously[or even see riding as training at all] Because now I see its no wonder I feel a bit off on some of the evening bunch rides, my diet leading up to it sucks :roll: I do my best eating at night/arvo, I guess that allways puts me behind the 8-ball. I'll have to work on that if I want to do some longer rides.

cheers
Baldy

shiv

Postby shiv » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:55 pm

I must have a problem too, in a good way. My average day when riding is

Pre ride: 8-10 weet-bix, bowl of either corn flakes or rice bubbles
Post ride: banana, maybe more cereal. Occasionally protein shake
Lunch: footlong chicken fillet
Arvo tea: usually some cookies or 6 inch pizza sub
Tea: Another footlong if at work, either grilled chicken & steamed veg at home when eating good, or pizza/chinese/indian etc if not caring
Late snack: more corn flakes or rice bubbles 2-3 bowls.

Water throughout day

181cm, 80kg and steady at that weight while riding 150-250km a week. Body fat is quite low, enough to have a visible 6 pack (not boasting at all here :wink: )
Obviously I have a decent metabolism or maybe I'm just magic!! Id hate to think what Id have to eat if I was a pro cyclist

Jono L.

Postby Jono L. » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:06 pm

shiv wrote: Id hate to think what Id have to eat if I was a pro cyclist
Less :P

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:25 pm

shiv wrote:Late snack: more corn flakes or rice bubbles 2-3 bowls.
ever checked the sugar content?
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Pre ride: 4 or 5 Weetbix with Shape milk and cup of hot chocolate (Milo) with approx 1 teaspoon sugar

Post ride: Depends on how much time I have available and where I am, sometimes I'll have Maccas Hotcakes and a small choc shake or OJ. Or I'll have a banana and a glass of Shape milk with a couple of teaspoons of chocolate Sustagen sport.

Morning tea: Banana, small slice of fruit cake and a chocolate Up n Go 250ml

Lunch: Banana, small tub of Yogurt, and another chocolate Up n Go. Sometimes I'll have a Ham salad(+Cheese, Tomato, Lettuce, Beetroot and Pineapple) roll as well.

Dinner: After a heavy day or if I know I'm having a heavy day the next day I'll have pasta, either a Cabonara Fettucini or Spaghetti Bolegnaise. I'm quite partial to Chicken Schnitzels as well, I sometimes have one with vegies and chips. Large glass of OJ.

My weight varies between 70-73kg, height is approx 5' 10".

JustinS007

Postby JustinS007 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 pm

today:
up at 5am
5:15am - 2 x toast with ginger marmalade, strong coffee
----1st run---18.3k
8:00am - 6 x weetbix, copious milk, 1/2 baguette of fresh bread,
9:15am - long & strong, splash of milk coffee
10am - 1/2 canteloupe
12:15pm - Roasted chicken drumstick, zucchini, 2 medium potatoes, onion, large mushroom
2pm - 1/2 french stick filled with chicken, tasty cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, herb warmed in microwave (cut in half as too long!)
----2nd run---10k
4:00pm - 3 oranges
4:30pm - about 80g lollies
6:15pm - grilled fish, tossed salad with ceaser dressing (99% fat free), beetroot slices, very large piece of quiche
7:15pm - large bowl ice cream drizzled with golden syrup, caramel topping and banana powder
7:45pm - decaf coffee

Also drank 2 other decaf coffee's for the day and about 2l of water. This is a reasonably normal food day for me.
I'm a runner, but I sure love to ride!

JustinS007

Postby JustinS007 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Jono L. wrote:
Haha, yes it's true. Unless at 80kg he's a sprinter with all muscle and 6% BF then there's quite a bit of weight to shed! I'm just 4cm shorter but weigh only 66kg when in race trim (running). At 66kg depending on my lean muscle mass at the time that equates to about 6.5% bf for me.

shiv

Postby shiv » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:19 am

JV911 wrote:
shiv wrote:Late snack: more corn flakes or rice bubbles 2-3 bowls.
ever checked the sugar content?

Nope, got a severe sweet tooth so dont care if it has sugar by the spoonfull.

And if I ate any less I would literally fade away. I know pros need to be lighter, but I am fairly wide so wouldnt be able to drop below low 70s without looking like death. And Im lucky that I burn off almost whatever I eat, if I actually stick to a strict diet the weight falls off me even with the relatively low ks I do

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 am

JustinS007 wrote:10am - 1/2 canteloupe
i read this as 1/2 antelope :shock: :lol:

canteloupe = rockmelon right?
Ross wrote:Spaghetti Bolegnaise. I'm quite partial to Chicken Schnitzels as well, I sometimes have one with vegies and chips
highly recommend a spaghetti bolognese and chichen schnitzel combo

</drool>
Jono L. wrote:
shiv wrote:Id hate to think what Id have to eat if I was a pro cyclist
more actually

oh and i'm 175cm, 77kg and 11% body fat. down from 18% 18 months ago but still 77kg
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 am

JV911 wrote: oh and i'm 175cm, 77kg and 11% body fat. down from 18% 18 months ago but still 77kg
How do you measure body fat? I'm 178cm, 69kg and still have a noticeable (to me anyway) roll of tummy fat.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

IMO
  • - BMI is a combination of Weight and Height, is analogous to
    - Max HR being a combination of 220bpm and your age, AND equally misleading
One thing BMI fails to consider is muscle mass. Of course I am talking my book here, because I am 80/2 kg and 5’10. One thing that I have been targeting is my end of high school weight, which was 77kg and I was not fat at all – no cankles, muffin-tops or pears!
  • - So the muscle mass(ers) are trying to watch what they eat and loose weight, while
    - The skinnies don’t care what they eat but struggle to put on muscle. (as a super simplified gross generalisation that is)
Shows, everyone is seeking something.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:01 pm

ft_critical wrote:One thing BMI fails to consider is muscle mass.
my BMI suggests i'm overweight :lol:
Zynster wrote:How do you measure body fat? I'm 178cm, 69kg and still have a noticeable (to me anyway) roll of tummy fat.
bathroom scales with that capability will give you a rough idea but best option is to get a pinch test done next time you visit your gp
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:07 pm

I try to eat healthy but it has always been beyond me and I have a very sweet tooth! My weight ranges between 63 - 68kg's (AT) 172cm's. Interestingly, since I started cycling my weight has been at the top end of the range. Normally a day's eating will include:

Breakfast : 4 weetbix and 1 large strong coffee
Lunch : italian rolls (Haberfield Bakery - the best) with ham and cheese
Dinner : pasta, schnitzel, chicken & veg

Snacks : chips, lollies, apples, crackers, soft drinks, yoghurt (not lite)

Man, I am hungry. I think there is a KitKat in the vending machine with my name on it :D

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Excuse the crap iPhone photos

Today's post ride meal, it was quite tasty! I love a good burrito, hard to come by in Sydney.

shiv

Postby shiv » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:34 am

JustinS007 wrote:
Jono L. wrote:
Haha, yes it's true. Unless at 80kg he's a sprinter with all muscle and 6% BF then there's quite a bit of weight to shed! I'm just 4cm shorter but weigh only 66kg when in race trim (running). At 66kg depending on my lean muscle mass at the time that equates to about 6.5% bf for me.
Im guessing you have never watched AFL footy? Any player that is 6 foot needs to be at least 80kg, and since no one has put their hand up to pay me to cycle and therefore shed a few kilo Im quite happy at that weight. My body fat is in low teens, have a visible 6 pack and my arms are be bigger now then my legs would be at 66kilo! You actually make it sound like Im overweight and eating way too much, I have no interest in ever running a marathon so have no need to starve myself down to a near emaciated size

JustinS007

Postby JustinS007 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 pm

shiv wrote:Im guessing you have never watched AFL footy? Any player that is 6 foot needs to be at least 80kg, and since no one has put their hand up to pay me to cycle and therefore shed a few kilo Im quite happy at that weight. My body fat is in low teens, have a visible 6 pack and my arms are be bigger now then my legs would be at 66kilo! You actually make it sound like Im overweight and eating way too much, I have no interest in ever running a marathon so have no need to starve myself down to a near emaciated size
OOPS, no offence intended, sorry. Just a generalisation quip at the weight of pro-riders of that height. There aint none of them anywhere near 80kg unless they're sprinters. But I won't argue with you as clearly you have a heck of a lot more muscle mass than me and I don't look good covered in bruises!! :lol:

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:12 pm

80kg's is a very heavy cyclist for the road. I'm 5"10 and was 76kg as a sprinter and was much heavier than most I raced against at the time. I'm now 80kg's and aiming for 78kg, 76kg is too hard to maintain. I have a 32" waist so am pretty small really.

Food today :) :)
Breakfast 60grms of gluten free corn flakes and rice bubbles with 250ml hi/low milk 420 cals and 5 grams of fat
One coffee no sugar 20 cals and 1 gram of fat.
Morning tea hand full of raw veggies and an apple about 100cals no fat
Lunch rice past spirals 50grams, 150grms of basmati rice, past a sauce (home made) 50 grms lean mince with veggies and chick peas added. About 400 cals and 8 grms of fat.
Dinner/tea don't know yet :) :)
This is on a no training rest day I'm having a few days of as I've over done it a bit much over the last two weeks having been so long of the bike :( :(

+ about 2-3L of water. If I ride in the am I don't eat before hand but straight after have 250 cals of engery drink then breaky. I'm loosing about a KG a week atm to get to 78KG.

MM

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Marty Moose wrote:80kg's is a very heavy cyclist for the road. I'm 5"10 and was 76kg as a sprinter and was much heavier than most I raced against at the time.
Cummon Mr., Moose, play nice, all of us 80kg+ riders are sprinters just like Thor.., and quite frankly, he had better watch out 'cause there seem to be a lot of us.

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/testteam/r ... ushovd/14/

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:44 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:80kg's is a very heavy cyclist for the road. I'm 5"10 and was 76kg as a sprinter and was much heavier than most I raced against at the time.
Cummon Mr., Moose, play nice, all of us 80kg+ riders are sprinters just like Thor.., and quite frankly, he had better watch out 'cause there seem to be a lot of us.

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/testteam/r ... ushovd/14/

LOL I guess he had better watch out................................... In case you fall off and land on him :) :) :) Sorry had too. You are right there are road sprinters up round that weight most are lighter and he is the heaviest in his team by far. An 80KG road rider is a big rider. He is also quiet tall at 183 I feel like a fat dwarf now at 5"10 and 78 (nearly) :) :)

shiv

Postby shiv » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:52 pm

JustinS007 wrote:
shiv wrote:Im guessing you have never watched AFL footy? Any player that is 6 foot needs to be at least 80kg, and since no one has put their hand up to pay me to cycle and therefore shed a few kilo Im quite happy at that weight. My body fat is in low teens, have a visible 6 pack and my arms are be bigger now then my legs would be at 66kilo! You actually make it sound like Im overweight and eating way too much, I have no interest in ever running a marathon so have no need to starve myself down to a near emaciated size
OOPS, no offence intended, sorry. Just a generalisation quip at the weight of pro-riders of that height. There aint none of them anywhere near 80kg unless they're sprinters. But I won't argue with you as clearly you have a heck of a lot more muscle mass than me and I don't look good covered in bruises!! :lol:
No problem, just goes to show what a frustrating day at work and a sick little girl keeping you up all night can do to your mood! Guess Im a bit touchy when tired