planning long distance summer tour

rags8383

Re: planning long distance summer tour

Postby rags8383 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 pm

thanks a lot. you guys are probably right that this might not be the best idea. my main goal really is to see as much of the country as possible but also not to be backtracking. It gives me more of a sense of accomplishment to be traveling in one direction, chomping down on the mileage. I really would prefer to bike at least 100k a day. unfortunately my time frame for this trip will have to be starting in october. perhaps if I started in Darwin Oct 1 and ended in Brisbane this would eliminate the threat of cyclones and floods, nasty rain etc. It will be really hot but I'll just have to make sure that I have enough water. Honestly, the 35 and very humid days that we have here in the states are my preferred cycling weather. There's really nothing worse than being cold when it comes to bike riding. When the time comes for the trip I will definitely let you know if these are my "famous last words". Thanks, Ragnar

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Leaving Darwin and riding towards Brisbane is going to give you a lot of headwinds :( ! And across the flat lands of outback NT and Queensland, this is going to be very trying.
rags8383 wrote:Thanks, Ragnar
Ragnar!

"Hail Ragnar! And hail Ragnars beard!"

"Look how he glares at me... If he wasnt fathered by the black ram in the full of the moon my name is not Ragnar." :twisted:

Sorry, bet you get that all the time
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mylesau

Postby mylesau » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Ragnar, you're probably starting to get a feel for just how big Australia is and how large the distances are that you need to cover to get from somewhere to somewhere else. You might already have an idea, but take the time to zoom out in google maps and compare the size of Australia to that of the US. You should get a better picture and perhaps a better understanding - many a tourist (and local for that matter) has been caught out by not fully understanding the size of Australia.

If you plan to head past my neck of the woods (Coastal Central/South East Queensland), I'm happy to give you some tips on cheap places to stay and perhaps some places worth stopping to looking at.

rags8383

Postby rags8383 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:15 am

yes. I meant to clarify that I would be riding from Darwin down to Perth along the coast and then across to VIctoria, NSW and then up to Brisbane. Was that the headwind you were talking about Padrone? Either way, considering the temperatures, any wind would probably feel good and clear out some flies. As long as I can beat the cyclones and flooding I think I could make it work. :? On the topic of campgrounds, I'm not to worried because I usually prefer to stealth camp. My experiences in this country have been that they are overpriced and you can get more peace and quiet when you camp in the wilderness. Also you can make more distance because you don't have to plan around campgrounds. On my cross country trip last year in the states I rode at least 4000 k without staying in any campsites or motels. However if the campsites are nice its a great way to meet people. On the cross country trip that I'm about to go on I will try to gauge how much food I can fit and for how long it will last me without going to any stores. There are definitely a couple stretches of a couple hundred kilometers without any legitimate grocery stores on the ride.

rags8383

Postby rags8383 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 am

"Hail Ragnar! And hail Ragnars beard!"

Beware, the wrath of Ragnarok awaits. Soon the the outback will be left smoldering in ashes. :P

Moocar

Postby Moocar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 pm

Man, 'stans, Tibet and Aussie desert on a single speed?!?!? Run Away, Run Away!!!

Seriously, the thought of a 30 km/h headwind on a single speed scares me...

rags8383

Postby rags8383 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:11 am

yeah headwinds are no fun. so you guys are saying that biking south down the west coast in october there is a serious headwind? Coming across the United States the prevailing wind is supposed to be out of the west. However when I did my trip the wind was blowing from all directions on different days and not ever helping. It's best not to look at the speedometer and just zone out and think about something else.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:00 am

rags8383 wrote:yes. I meant to clarify that I would be riding from Darwin down to Perth along the coast and then across to VIctoria, NSW and then up to Brisbane. Was that the headwind you were talking about Padrone?
For normal touring (camping, seeing a few sights, 80-120kms per day) this would be doable - it's probably a 6-9 month journey. No the headwinds should not be an issue. I thought you were talking about Darwin to Brissie via Townsville. All across the north prevailing winds are easterlies. In the south in winter/spring you are more likely to get westerlies, but also southerlies and winter northerlies. In summer on the south coast there are more south-easterlies.

I really think Perth to Brisbane, taking in the SW of WA andTasmania, would keep you more than busy enough for a six month tour.

One month to explore SW of WA
One month to get to Adelaide - maybe including the Flinders Ranges
One month to explore south-east SA and Victoria's coast and high country
One month to explore Tassie
One month toget to Brisbane

And a bit of extra time for some extra travel.

12 years ago I did the trip from Sydney to Qld. Without rushing too much (a bit of wet weather slowed me) I took 3 weeks for this.
rags8383 wrote:On the topic of campgrounds, I'm not to worried because I usually prefer to stealth camp. My experiences in this country have been that they are overpriced and you can get more peace and quiet when you camp in the wilderness.
This is certainly correct for the outback regions, but in the more settled districts campgrounds shouldn't be too overpriced (~ $A10-15 per night). It's likely the prices will be higher than this in popular tourist areas, and you'll get shafted a bit as a solo camper. In Apollo Bay I never could work out the logic of me paying $20 for a site for my 2-man tent, the same as they'd charge for a family of four in a caravan :shock: :x . Needless to say I didn't stay there.

But in small country towns the camping ground/caravan park is a nice place to be. Also remember the values of camping at the local football ground, showgrounds, and also in state forest areas there are many free campsites with basic facilities.
rags8383 wrote:On the cross country trip that I'm about to go on I will try to gauge how much food I can fit and for how long it will last me without going to any stores. There are definitely a couple stretches of a couple hundred kilometers without any legitimate grocery stores on the ride.
Yes. I'm going to have to make some similar plans for my trip to 'the Centre'.

If you go down the west coast food supplies will be a gnawing problem. You also have a couple of stretches where there will be a couple of hundred kilomtres between water supplies
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rags8383

Postby rags8383 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:00 am

thanks padrone. I will definitely take this in to consideration when planning the trip. However, if I was doing the Darwin, Perth Brisbane ride i could always extend the trip if I felt that I needed more time. It might sound crazy but I prefer riding a lot and not taking too many days off. Either way I think the trip would be great and I will see a lot of the country. I will definitely keep everybody updated when the time comes. Thanks, Rags

V17L

Postby V17L » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:54 am

Whilst down in Adelaide, I picked up a book at the LBS called "Cycling Outback Australia, ecotouring travel guide" by Craig Bagnall and Nikki Brown ISBN 0-9750219-0-7. Published 2003.

The trip goes from Caines, Normanton, Borroloola, katherine, Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine, Kununurra, Broome, and along the coast to Perth. it gives hand drawn maps, distances and opinions of the whole trip. A good read for trip planning.

Don't under estimate the water issue in the temperatures in December to March in Australia. Check out www.bom.gov.au to get the climate data.
regards
steve
Giant Defy 1