Riding Sunnys......

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:23 pm

MichaelB wrote:I remember reading a quite detailed report many years ago that stated the waering of sunnies (good or poor quality) could lead to greater damage, by the fact that due to the reduced glare, the pupils were more dilated, and therefore let more sun in leading to more damage, and the effect was greater in kids. Confused
That was/is true for glasses without proper UV rating and for non-wrapping glasses. Both of these sorts let UV light into the eye when it is susceptible for the reasons you mentioned.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:I remember reading a quite detailed report many years ago that stated the waering of sunnies (good or poor quality) could lead to greater damage, by the fact that due to the reduced glare, the pupils were more dilated, and therefore let more sun in leading to more damage, and the effect was greater in kids. :?
A rather dangerous claim to believe especially since there are no reported studies to confirm this (I searched) but there are studies and documented cases that the cumulative effects of spending long hours in the sun without adequate eye protection can increase the likelihood of developing several eye disorders like cataracts, snow/sand/water blindness, pterygium and skin cancer around the eyelids. But then if it worries you that much you can always get clear sunglasses that offer 100% UV protection or by the time your eyes do deteriorate they can just pop a new set in a la Blade Runner.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:54 am

While I'm on the 'you probably should be wearing good quality sunnies' side of the fence, I am reminded of a bloke I worked with at one point. We were both surveyors and so spent many hours a day, every day, out in the sun. He always wore sunnies (at a time when it wasn't cool or expected). Then in his forties, he started having eye problems and his optometrist's conclusion? He'd become over sensitive to glare, at least partly because of the wearing of sunnies all the time. Now, it should be pointed out that he always wore very dark sunnies (this being before the advent off the lighter ones we see now).

Personally, I've had too many things hit my glasses over the years to feel overly safe riding without some form of eye protection.

You don't need dark colours to get UV protection, just the right sort of plastic.

Wraparound is better than flat but if all you can wear is flat, you're better off with than without.

You can believe all the claims about 'better optics' and 'better frames' and R&D and all the other justifications for spending $250 on a pair of sunglasses if you like, but as someone who has had to wear prescription glasses for over 40 years and who understands pretty well what it means wearing the sodding things and looking through them, such justifications are merely that - mind salve for spending all that money. Go ahead and spend it if you like, I'm not putting your choice down by any means (and they're probably very nice to wear and use), but please don't take those claims too much to heart. Having said that, up to a point, the more you spend, the better the product ... well, it should be.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:30 am

Nice spirited debate :)
His Felt Carbon F5C ' 07.....
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB
Kids Mongoose x 2 Tricycle x 1

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:38 am

europa wrote: You can believe all the claims about 'better optics' and 'better frames' and R&D and all the other justifications for spending $250 on a pair of sunglasses if you like, but as someone who has had to wear prescription glasses for over 40 years and who understands pretty well what it means wearing the sodding things and looking through them, such justifications are merely that - mind salve for spending all that money.
As a wearer of prescription glasses you must know that quality frames and lenses do cost money. The lenses in most prescription glasses are of the same optical quality as the glass lenses in better grade sunnies. First grade optical quality is not something really required in sunglasses but you really do appreciate once you have experienced it. My Revo's also have the best polarizing contrast qualities I've come across; as a sales rep I'm on the road alot and really appreciate the relief they give on a long day on the road. Looking into sun glare gives me a headache rather quickly.

Just don't tell me I'm deluding myself :x . I'm only an average income earner but place a higher weight on quality merchandise than the average Australian, maybe cause I don't have kids :wink:

I never spoke of wearing this type of sunnies for cycling as the glass lens makes them too heavy for cycling conditions. Supposedly quality plastic lenses do tend to be marketing although I'm sure there are some that have good technology behind them. As per my original post I buy cheapies for cycling as the risk for damage is too high and I don't need the best in optics as I don't do much reading whilst in the saddle :wink: :shock:
The older I get, the better I was...

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:00 am

Makos work for me and while they do i'll continue to pay the price they ask...the price side of it doesnt come in to consideration, by the way im by no means rich
GIANT 2011 Talon MTB

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:01 am

Blybo wrote:
I never spoke of wearing this type of sunnies for cycling as the glass lens makes them too heavy for cycling conditions.
But wasn't this thread about sunnies for cycling ?

So the expensive Mako ones that you mentioned aren't even used for riding ?

OK, if that is the case, what do you use for riding ?

I am going to try and remember to waer mine, as I got whacked in the eye by something as I was blatting along at about 30km/hr in traffic - not good !!!

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:19 am

Michael, if your not going to read peoples posts, what hope have we got of getting our points across :P . I believe it was tatt2 who wears the Mako's, I put a link in my first post to what I wear on the bike. I only jumped to the defense of tatt2 when you suggested he was delusional.

Reading between the lines it is my belief that those who are putting down real quality eyewear may never have tried a pair for themselves. If you can't afford them or can't justify the price, that's fine, just don't "salve your mind" by knocking what you don't know. For a long time I could not afford the Revo's so wore "fashion" sunnies for years, now that I can afford them I highly recommend them.
I believe Mako's are a wrap around plastic lens polarizing sunny, so if your confident of not damaging them on a ride, why not?

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:36 am

MichaelB wrote:
Blybo wrote:
I never spoke of wearing this type of sunnies for cycling as the glass lens makes them too heavy for cycling conditions.
But wasn't this thread about sunnies for cycling ?

OK, if that is the case, what do you use for riding ?

I am going to try and remember to waer mine, as I got whacked in the eye by something as I was blatting along at about 30km/hr in traffic - not good !!!
You cant even take the time to read peoples posts and then you quote people out of text..... :roll: :roll:
GIANT 2011 Talon MTB

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:16 am

Blybo wrote:Michael, if your not going to read peoples posts, what hope have we got of getting our points across :P . I believe it was tatt2 who wears the Mako's, I put a link in my first post to what I wear on the bike. I only jumped to the defense of tatt2 when you suggested he was delusional.

Reading between the lines it is my belief that those who are putting down real quality eyewear may never have tried a pair for themselves. If you can't afford them or can't justify the price, that's fine, just don't "salve your mind" by knocking what you don't know. For a long time I could not afford the Revo's so wore "fashion" sunnies for years, now that I can afford them I highly recommend them.
I believe Mako's are a wrap around plastic lens polarizing sunny, so if your confident of not damaging them on a ride, why not?
Sheesh, some people are sensitive - so I don't re-read every post. Ooops. Sorry.

I can't justify/afford $250 sunnies - that's why I don't wear them. Have tried them yes, but still don't "see" $250 in value. I guess when you are in the manufacturing industry and see the real cost of many things that are made vs what is paid for them, you have a little giggle sometimes.

Oh well, as I mentioned before, personal preference. :wink:

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:37 am

MichaelB wrote: I guess when you are in the manufacturing industry and see the real cost of many things that are made vs what is paid for them, you have a little giggle sometimes.

well I guess there are often so many middle men and taxes with getting products to market, when everybody takes their slice it means big $$$. As I am a wholesaler in the shoe industry I know that years ago Nike would land one of the Air Max models for AUS$12.00 after taxes and wholesale it for $129.00. That shoe/runner was $220 at full retail and probably cost $4.00 to make.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:40 am

Blybo wrote:
MichaelB wrote: I guess when you are in the manufacturing industry and see the real cost of many things that are made vs what is paid for them, you have a little giggle sometimes.

well I guess there are often so many middle men and taxes with getting products to market, when everybody takes their slice it means big $$$. As I am a wholesaler in the shoe industry I know that years ago Nike would land one of the Air Max models for AUS$12.00 after taxes and wholesale it for $129.00. That shoe/runner was $220 at full retail and probably cost $4.00 to make.
I think even $4 would be generous.

Hence my query of "value" with $250+ sunnies.

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:42 am

Blybo wrote:

I just paid $200 for a pair on ASICS, mmm maybe i better not go there...
GIANT 2011 Talon MTB

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:01 pm

I gotta comment :)

I'm a migraine sufferer and as such suffer in bright light and conditions where there is a lot of glare. Despite taking a daily migraine medication, I find one of the best things is to avoid these situations. Now that is impossible. I love my pool, heading up north fishing, riding, kayaking, 4wding, camping...all these things are outside and in bright light conditions.

Over the years I have had many sunglasses in a search for the best ones for me to reduce light/glare. These have included Bolle, Oakley, no-names, chemist's recommended...anything!! I have had my latest set for 3 years - they are Maui Jim's - grey polarised lenses. I find them excellent. I haven't had a light related migraine since I got them.

Now I wear them a lot. Every day - in sun, cloud, rain conditions. If I'm not wearing them, they are with me just in case I need to. I wear them riding, fishing, playing at the beach or in the pool, kayaking, driving, etc. I'm a pretty hard-core sunglasses wearer :D

The model I have aren't completely wrap around, but they have a coating on the inside of the lense that "absorbs" light so when some gets in the sides, it doesn't bounce off and hit me in the eye. They were as wrap as I could get for MJs.

Anyway, with all the experience I have in this field as a consumer, I have learnt that there is a big difference between cheap sunnies and expensive ones - in the "sport/utility" range. Don't even get me started on those expensive "fashion" glasses that are only designed for low light conditions (but the fashion conscious don't bother to read the UV ratings :roll: ).

I will never compromise on the quality of my sunglasses again. If it means spending $200-$500 or whatever every 3 years, I will do it. When I have a migraine, I spend 2 days in bed and that costs me more. Having "lost" 6 days in 2 weeks due to migraine, you certainly think about the cost to you in both $ (sick leave only goes so far), and time. My glasses have paid for themselves over and over.

For those lucky enough to not suffer from any eye or head related issues - you are lucky, and if cheaper glasses work for you then great. I'm limited I'm afraid.

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:18 pm

I have cycling sunnies (BBB), which I use for most things... and then I got sick and haven't been cycling, and couldn't find them.

I was out for a walk the other week, and picked up two pairs of Protector 'Explorer' sunnies from Magnet Mart - $10.70-odd each, wrap around, UV filtered, medium impact protection etc. I don't know how they will work out for cycling (no vents), but I'll give them a try - because they are damned cheap compared to sports glasses which tend to scratch easily.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:29 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I gotta comment :)

I'm a migraine sufferer and as such suffer in bright light and conditions where there is a lot of glare.

Over the years I have had many sunglasses in a search for the best ones for me to reduce light/glare. These have included Bolle, Oakley, no-names, chemist's recommended...anything!! I have had my latest set for 3 years - they are Maui Jim's - grey polarised lenses. I find them excellent. I haven't had a light related migraine since I got them.

The model I have aren't completely wrap around, but they have a coating on the inside of the lense that "absorbs" light so when some gets in the sides, it doesn't bounce off and hit me in the eye. They were as wrap as I could get for MJs.
Great that you too have found the good ones valuable. Maui Jim is another of the brands I mentioned early in the thread as being fair dinkum performance sunnies.
As for Adidas, Nike and the fashion labels. Let the buyer beware!

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:34 pm

tatt2 wrote:I just paid $200 for a pair on ASICS, mmm maybe i better not go there...
Asics are (or were) the Revo, Mako etc of the running world. However the last 12 months has seen them use materials that wear out very fast. Some personal trainers are only getting 6 weeks out of a pair. If you can still change them try some Saucony, New Balance or even the new Adidas runners are quite good now. The Athlete's foot is a good place to go if you need help in selecting, their staff are very well trained.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Vital protection against bugs, flying rocks, dirt, magpies, and branches.

Interestingly you can tell if a flying pebble is going to hit you as it will appear to be hovering in place in the air as your eyes close on it.

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:53 pm

Blybo wrote:
tatt2 wrote:I just paid $200 for a pair on ASICS, mmm maybe i better not go there...
Asics are (or were) the Revo, Mako etc of the running world. However the last 12 months has seen them use materials that wear out very fast. Some personal trainers are only getting 6 weeks out of a pair. If you can still change them try some Saucony, New Balance or even the new Adidas runners are quite good now. The Athlete's foot is a good place to go if you need help in selecting, their staff are very well trained.
I find Asics seem to fit me better than other brands,will see how these pair go with wear etc, next time i'll give adidas a look in, used to wear them yrs ago but found they went to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!
GIANT 2011 Talon MTB

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:56 am

I'll tell you what, i was just riding with my Electrics on and i was worried they would be damaged by sweat and stuff so i i had a corker of an idea.

I rode to stockton, a little holiday spot of mine about 45km's away from home on the beach, and i wore a pair of the miners protective UV glasses, Artic MSR's i think they are called. Super comfortable, super light, good UV resistance and i actually had a fair few bugs and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! fly straight off of them. They are sort of the rap around too which is good.

Just my 2cents.

Thanks

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:43 pm

I've always been a big believer in wearing sunnies for all outdoor activities. I've always tried to buy what I believed to be the best I can afford at the time, and have generally got at least 4 - 5 years out of each pair.

When I took up cycling again, I thought I'd buy a dedicated pair of sunnies and didn't want to pay too much for fear of damaging them. Picked up a pair of BBB with the interchangable lenses (tinted, yellow and clear). I was very impressed with their UV rating considering they only cost $50 or so.

I now find that I wear them more than my far more expensive sunnies, particularly when driving. The only down side to them is they are a bit "ugly" (my daughter hates me wearing them, which is incentive to wear them even more :lol: )

The best part about these BBB cheapies is that yesterday they paid for themselves 1000 fold. Riding downhill at about 60kph and...whack...something hit me in the lense. when I stopped I checked the lense and there's a mighty bit chip right in the middle of it. Now I reckon that would have hurt like hell if not for the sunnies!
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

ajmoonee

Postby ajmoonee » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:36 pm

I have been into rudy project glasses long before I was into bikes. I wear the rydon golf 100 for golf. they are expensive ($330) but come with two sets of lenses, a scratch guarantee and a solid case. they are without doubt the clearest glasses I have ever worn. 5 hours plus in the bright sunshine staring at a small white ball from an often (but not often enough) long distance will test any glasses. anyway the point is rudy are manufacturers of bike glasses. so if they only do the golf's as a side then they must make BRILLIANT bicycle glasses.
I had my last pair of rudys for 2 years before I broke em. thats about $3 bucks per round of golf. no headaches, less lost balls ($3 bucks each at least) and very comfortable.
sure your paying for marketing and brand, maybe they are only worth half what I paid, but as above, how much your eye sight.
as for fashion, I think they look ridiculous, but they work, if your on a bike and youve squeezed an XXL butt into an XL pair of bright yellow niks then no one is looking at your sunnies!

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:45 pm

I can second the Rudy Project sunnies. I have the Rydon as well, with prescription insert ... it's tough finding good riding sunnies that support prescription lenses that both does the job and doesn't look utterly ridiculous. These do it perfectly.

PS. check out http://www.swimandtri.com, that's where i got my pair from. even including delivery, still much MUCH cheaper than buying locally (as is the case with most equipment discussed in these forums)

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:39 am

Thumbs up for the protector explorers for riding (as I mentioned in above post). And I've dropped them already and put a scratch in one lens, but at $10 - who cares! :)