TRICE chainring guard

bennelong.bicyclist

TRICE chainring guard

Postby bennelong.bicyclist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:15 pm

I can see the advantages of a chainring guard on a recumbent. Those chainwheel teeth are both sharp and greasy, even when parked. The TRICE chainring guard, by ICE in the UK, looks the goods (I'd post a picture or link to it but I am not allowed to... but google for "trice chain ring guard" it to see what it is like) - it clamps to the outside of the bottom bracket (or is that forward bracket?) shell. Not all bottom brack shells have the same outside diameter, so would need to check if it fits an Optima.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any other chain-ring guards? Perhaps it might be better to try to fabricate one? My metalworking skills are very limited but it is remarkable what can be achieved with some aluminium strip from the hardware store, a hacksaw, a drill and some 24 hr Araldite.

}SkOrPn--7

Re: TRICE chainring guard

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:13 pm

As a really cheap method of having protection but I must say it's not as bomb proof as the one your looking at but cost wise craps all over it is the below which is just a plastic chain guard found on low end MTB. It covers the largest chain ring and stops the chain from coming off plus it covers the teeth of the largest chain ring so your LBS might be a solution on a $5.00 item or like you said make your own. :D
Last edited by }SkOrPn--7 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

bennelong.bicyclist

Re: TRICE chainring guard

Postby bennelong.bicyclist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:04 pm

bennelong.bicyclist wrote:it clamps to the outside of the bottom bracket (or is that forward bracket?) shell. Not all bottom brack shells have the same outside diameter, so would need to check if it fits an Optima.
The Optima boom is an oval, and occupies the entire width of the BB shell, so the clamp on the TRICE chain ring guard won't fit.
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:Does anyone have any experience with this or any other chain-ring guards? Perhaps it might be better to try to fabricate one? My metalworking skills are very limited but it is remarkable what can be achieved with some aluminium strip from the hardware store, a hacksaw, a drill and some 24 hr Araldite.
Bent bits of aluminium strip and Araldite it will have to be. Unless I can work out how to make it from PVC pipe... There is a nice bracket on the Optima BB shell, with a threaded hole, for mounting lights, which is perfect for securing a chain guard as well.