Guidance for Mt Buller Hopeful

number21

Guidance for Mt Buller Hopeful

Postby number21 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Firstly hi all!

I'm in need of some advice about competing in the 185km ride in the Scody High country challenge. Really keen on attacking this event, just wondering how I'm looking and what to expect.

Since December I've been trying to clock up the Kms for something like this. I ride in Sydneys south, training solo riding loops around Kurnell, Cronulla and Lilli Pilli looking for some hills, I mix this up depending on time and how hard I want to go. And my other route is down to Stanwell Tops and back, going from waterfall down McKell Ave and up Lady Wakehurst Dr to the lookout then back. If I'm feeling good I'll finish with a loop mentioned previously. Adds up to 3 x 70-120km per week plus 30km commute 2-3times.

Does anyone know how those hills in the Royal National Park stack up? And are their any other similar sort of rides in Sydney?

Never entered a organised event or anything, took up riding for getting to work and cross training for ice hockey about 18months ago. Since then I've blown my girlfriends tax return on a new bike and started shaving my legs....

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Peter.

KenGS

Re: Guidance for Mt Buller Hopeful

Postby KenGS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:41 am

Try to get in some practice with sustained climbing. Buller is 5.8% for almost 16km. As much as anything its psychological as its all uphill for as long as it takes - say 1h 15m or more.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:57 am

that's heaps more training than i did for the Alpine Challenge, you'll be fine. as mentioned, it's also mental - can you handle the sustained discomfort of long climbs? it sounds like you can. take it easy for the first part of the ride, drink and eat regularly and you'll be OK.

number21

Postby number21 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:36 pm

So it sounds like one of those pain-in-the-ass climbs that seems to drag on forever, and I'm always feeling like I should be in a higher gear going at a higher speed for that gradient. I hate those! I'm guessing it would be best to pick a gear and speed and try and get a rhythm going.

I'll try and find something sort of similar around Sydney. Thanks for the info.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Try Penrith to Katoomba. It's about 50km's with 1.5km of up. You can Old Bathurst Rd in for some fun!One I am keen to try is catching the train to Bathurst and riding back over the Blue mountains or visa versa.

number21

Postby number21 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 am

Loved the ride!!! First time riding in a organised ride. Groups were fun, quickly learnt how important it is to follow a wheel and stay there. Riding solo for an hour plus then thinking I'd get some relief when a group of 4-6 riders comes up, only to have them just scoot off into the distance...

Ended up getting up Buller in 1 hour 2 minutes I think. Feel like I could've gone faster if I had some riders to push me more, got stuck way back after gear adjustment. Total ride was right on 7 hours, plus 40 mins for water stops etc.

Now I have to find a group to ride with!
goneriding wrote:Try Penrith to Katoomba. It's about 50km's with 1.5km of up. You can Old Bathurst Rd in for some fun!One I am keen to try is catching the train to Bathurst and riding back over the Blue mountains or visa versa.
Sounds like fun, just wondering what the roads are like for bikes though? Not keen on doing that solo on a skinny/non existance shoulder.