Road train

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Road train

Postby JulianEdgar » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Went for an overnight trip with self-built suspension trike, tag-along, Burley Nomad trailer. Five year old on tag-along, and wife on another bike.

Rough road route with a lot of dirt and some very steep hillclimbing (a lot steeper than shown here!).

Camped overnight.

(Sorry for bad phone pics)

Good fun - but it kinda made a weekend seem like a week!
JulianEdgar

by BNA » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:52 pm

BNA

Re: Road train

Postby njg02 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:52 pm

Great setup. I bet the hills were easy with your little kicker motor on the back! Great way to get him involved.
How was your suspension?
Thanks for sharing.

Neil
njg02

Postby John Lewis » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks for posting that Julian. Really made my day looking at the "roadtrain". Nice setup

John Lewis
John Lewis

Postby JulianEdgar » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:44 am

How was your suspension?

The rear suspension – with a vertical load of more than 60kg working through it – was magnificent. I inflated the rear pressure bottle to a static 60 psi and shut down the damper valve a little. This gave a ride that was quite amazingly good – I wouldn’t even feel the bump when the trike’s rear wheel met it; I only knew there'd been a bump when I felt the tug as the tag-along wheel passed it.

The front air reservoirs needed about 22 psi in them – slightly more in the right-hand one to counter an asymmetry in the pannier loads (water was in the right-hand pannier RT60 – 10kg). I varied the position of the damping valves for different road surfaces. On bumpy sections I opened the valves right up. However, on smooth sections taken faster this damper setting allowed the trike to lean – with the extra weight up high and the lowish roll centre, the trike could then feel tippy-toed – best characterised by flopping from one side to the other. So on smooth surfaces I positioned the damper adjustment so fluid flow was only just occurring, which stiffened roll damping.

Alexander stood on the pedals, knees flexed, for any large bumps I warned him about, and the tag-along’s large 20 inch tyre was set very low in pressure. The Nomad trailer’s tyres were also set low in pressure, but on bigger bumps it hopped around a bit. The trailer carried only sleeping gear so it was fairly light.

On this route I’d score the suspension at probably 8/10. Next time, with a similar high-mounted load, I’ll reduce the volume of the front spring pressure bottles from 600ml to 300ml (the same as I run on the back); this will give a faster rising front spring rate and so better control body roll.
JulianEdgar

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks for sharing those are great images only wish I could be there camping with you makes me a little sick but joyous at the same time just glad you enjoyed yourself. Wish I wasn't bogged down with work so much but that's life I guess. :D
}SkOrPn--7

Return to Recumbents