Tips for new rollers

topaz

Tips for new rollers

Postby topaz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Just got myself a new set of bike rollers this afternoon.
Firstly does any one know of any good videos that show the best way to get on and off them?

I have set them up in a narrow hall way so I can use the walls to help me balance at first. (I have a feeling i will be needing the walls)

Secondly I plan on doing some interval training on them.. My understanding of that is its usually 10-20 min blocks of hard riding.
Besides this are there any other beginner workouts I could look at doing?

PHL

Re: Tips for new rollers

Postby PHL » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:30 am

I started with the narrow hallway, put the bike on, climb on then clip in. Starting off I use my elbows to stabilise myself, as I want to be as close to normal cycling position as possible. It takes some time to get comfortable on the trainer, which I feel depends on your normal cycling style as well (if you tend to trash around, then you'll have more problems vs a smooth style) and I find looking at a point about 5-10m in directly front of you helps (if you look off to the side, you tend to go that way).

It's actually not that hard after a short while; often it's mental.

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:10 am

Here is a link on the BV forums with a few peoples experiences on rollers.
There 's a link in there somewhere that has a YT vid of a guy who obviously spends too much time on them....

one_damo

Postby one_damo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:58 am

I found that rollers are mostly mental, mainly the fear of falling off. Well you do need some basic balance and skill, but once i overcame the fear of falling, there was a huge improvement which was almost black/white. I just setup with a small stool or telephone book stack either side of the rollers and a chair or wall on one side to lean on to start.

Another thing i found was to consciously have a light grip on the bars when starting out, more to guide the bike rather than hanging on. Once i got the hang of it i could assume my normal grip. also make sure tyres are pumped to recommended levels. This helped no end.

Hope these help.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:53 pm

I just recently got rollers too. I found the trick to riding them is to go fast! You are most unstable at slow speeds.

So to get started you need to clip in with one pedal all the way down (so that the wheels don't turn). Hold on to the wall while you get your top foot clipped in. Then GO. Just pedal hard. The bike will initially move around a bit but as soon as you get up to speed it will be a lot more stable. Its just getting past that initial wobbliness that is tricky.... but once again, go faster and it will sort itself out.

And like others said, light grip on the bars. Hold them close to the stem to minimise steering input.

Ride with one hand on the wall at first and gradually lower the pressure on that hand until you feel okay to put it on the bars too. Just keep pedalling and you'll be fine :)