Stem question

MountGower

Stem question

Postby MountGower » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:18 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:24 pm

Autosol might be the go...if not just get it polished.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:20 pm

A very interesting question. As you point out, the annodised surface has been dulled over time. I would guess that the stem was perfect when it left the Cinelli factory (other stems in similar condition).

You would think that if it has dulled it could be polished to a shine again. But how? (Your Question)

I've polished many Cinelli stems over the years but I don't think I've ever improved the finish of the annodised surface. I have polished the annodising away to reveal the aluminium surface underneath (sometimes called a Mexican finish). It's a very difficult task to polish off the annodising.

As toolonglegs suggests - give Autosol a go - I'd be very interested to know if it works.

I wonder if an annodising company could help with your question.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:39 pm

I have done it on several stems and cranks and you can get a mirror finish on aluminium parts. The link below is the basic way I did it but after de-anodising I used a flexible fine grade sanding pad then 400 wet and dry, fine steel wool and finally a buffing pad on my drill with car polish (its easier than a couple of hours hand buffing). Finish with a lacquer clearcoat .

http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.php? ... stcount=38

this is the result on a 3TTT stem

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:49 pm

tallywhacker - Looks great!!!

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:04 am

you should see the cranks I'm working on. 2 sets of Shimano 600s one early 80s the other late 80s/early 90s and a set of Exage 500ex. I'll post pics when they are finished.
I picked up a frame I am rebuilding from a frame builder who repaired some rust damage. He recommended spraying the inside of the tubes with Wattyl Fishoilene to help inhibit rust. I know you have quite a few lovely old steel frames, the extra protection cant hurt (if you dont already use it). It says on the can it doesn't smell - it stinks to high heaven

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:39 am

I've used fishoilene on cars buy never on bikes - sounds like a great idea. It does stink but the smell does go after a few days.

I have never bothered to polish a groupset just a stem. I think it would look fantastic. A 600 groupset would be most appropriate. I have read that the American's call this type of embelishment 'Mexican'. You have done a great job of the stem - sparkling, smooth and blemish free.

I was very proud of the 'pies' this season - in my mind, 2nd best team of 2007.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:13 am

a closet pies supporter ? They would have put on a better performance than Port.
It's going on my sunday coffee bike. forget polishing this is the latest "trend" in Japan handlebar/stem engraving

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 am

Hi Tallywacker. A friend of mine has been suggesting engraving for a few years now but I've always envisaged the engraving similar to that found on guns. The link was very interesting - perhaps polishing is 'yesterday'.

Yes, Collingwood is THE team.

Minority

Postby Minority » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:29 pm

I think your polished stem looks far classier!

In car modification/customizing they have a term "rice" which is generally used as a derogatory term for tacky taste in small jap cars. I think this could be applied to the engraving.

Having said that, each to his own, at least it looks like someone has gone to a lot of effort and that has to be applauded.

triode12

Postby triode12 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Minority wrote:I think your polished stem looks far classier!

In car modification/customizing they have a term "rice" which is generally used as a derogatory term for tacky taste in small jap cars. I think this could be applied to the engraving.

Having said that, each to his own, at least it looks like someone has gone to a lot of effort and that has to be applauded.
The engraving is similar to those done on samurai swords.

I think it looks cool myself. I like pantographed groupsets too.
Live to ride another day.

Why take unnecessary risks? No matter how small they are...