Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

drubie

Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Only now I've worked out why after a series of "mystery flats".

When they cut, they cut all the way through. When they've done that, the edges of the cuts curl inwards like little teeth to chew on your tube. This chewing means that I now have 3 tubes hanging on my shed wall awaiting repair. I nspected the three other brands of tyre in the shed (a Vittoria Rubino Pro, a Maxxis Fuse and a Michelin Carbon) - none of them exhibited the amount of cutting through the gatorskin does.

Well, enough is enough. The tyre still has plenty of tread but i'm going to bin it and it's useless brother on the back won't be too far off. A rubbish old Rubino Pro (no cuts inside that one) holds up the front now.

A $15 Cheng Shin is a superior tyre in every way.

Never again Mr Continental.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Guess I'll have to wait until I get a cut...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Guess I'll have to wait until I get a cut...
Wait? Just ride in the rain within 500m of a bit of glass, it will be magnetically attracted, slice through the gatorskin unimpeded by the egg noodles the casing is made of, cut your tube and leave a shard embedded in the casing that will slowly but surely saw it's way down j-u-s-t enough that every time you go to the shed, you'll have a flat.

If you do this in the dark, you will be walking home.

Did I mention I hate gatorskins?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Tried that Drubie. :wink: Were your the German made or the other kind? What width?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Made in Germany?

HANDMADE IN GERMANY!!!!eleventy!!

700x23 Ultra Gatorskin

Constructed entirely from woven human hair, belly button lint from an enormously fat sausage maker called Klaus, the left over shortening from a strudel factory and recycled rubber from an adult toys found by the side of the strasse by an improverished turkish illegal immigrant with 8 thumbs, two fingers and myopia so severe that his glasses are thicker than they are wide.

Guaranteed for life, as long as you carry your bike everywhere. Did I mention I hate them?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man you got it bad...

I've got the 700x28, let's hope it makes a difference. I better pop out to the shed...

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:52 pm

And I just ordered two 27's for the runabout...bugger. I'll ride slow.

Jim

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:00 pm

700 X 23, made in Germany. 1800 Km. Not a single flat.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:56 pm

I put two of these Continental Ultra Gator Duraskin Road Tyres (700x25) on Wednesday night. Friday afternoon (less than 100ks), flat front wheel. Hopeful this was a once off as I thought these guys are meant to be tough.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Gatorskin 700x23.

3 flats in 13,000km. I know many other people I ride with have similar reports (km:puncture) as me. I think they're great.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Ant. wrote:Gatorskin 700x23.

3 flats in 13,000km. I know many other people I ride with have similar reports (km:puncture) as me. I think they're great.
+1. No problems for me. I use them and I think they are a good set of tyres.

J

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Unless I am missing something in your posts Drubie, I would say you are telling us you don't like Gatorskins. :lol:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:50 pm

drubie wrote:Only now I've worked out why after a series of "mystery flats".

When they cut, they cut all the way through. When they've done that, the edges of the cuts curl inwards like little teeth to chew on your tube. This chewing means that I now have 3 tubes hanging on my shed wall awaiting repair. I nspected the three other brands of tyre in the shed (a Vittoria Rubino Pro, a Maxxis Fuse and a Michelin Carbon) - none of them exhibited the amount of cutting through the gatorskin does.

Well, enough is enough. The tyre still has plenty of tread but i'm going to bin it and it's useless brother on the back won't be too far off. A rubbish old Rubino Pro (no cuts inside that one) holds up the front now.

A $15 Cheng Shin is a superior tyre in every way.

Never again Mr Continental.
+1 I hate Gators

I'll stick with my GP's

brockie2

Postby brockie2 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 pm

Constructed entirely from woven human hair
Therein lies the problem. Obviously pubic hair, hence the curl. Try the straight hair version. I sliced through mine 12 months ago, glued them back together with tarzan grip and am still using them. :lol:

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm afraid to the ride front one - the cuts are slowly joining up!

13,000km and three flats? Where are you people riding, on velodromes? It's impossible to get more than 4,000km out of a tyre in rural NSW (hello, chip sealed roads). IMPOSSIBLE!

However, the tarzan grip is a good idea. I will cut the gatorskin into pieces and glue it back together into a little sign that says "where the sun don't shine shove this" and send it back to continental. :twisted:

brockie2

Postby brockie2 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:41 pm

where the sun don't shine shove this
That would be Germany or anywhere else in Europe at the moment. :roll: Have you tried a patch on the inside of the tyre?

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:23 pm

brockie2 wrote:
where the sun don't shine shove this
That would be Germany or anywhere else in Europe at the moment. :roll: Have you tried a patch on the inside of the tyre?
I tried a patch. I tried blobs of glue ranging from contact cement to super glue. None of them are particularly satisfactory because as soon as the inside of the tyre isn't smooth, the tube gets cut up/chewed up at that spot and you get a slow leak/mystery flat.

As far as I'm concerned, that kind of tyre booting is temporary getcha home hackery, not something that should need to be done on any regular basis. The casing is just too easy to cut on the gatorskin despite its name. If an alligator had skins that soft, they'd be made extinct by frogs.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm

My experience is that the Gatorskins offer no better (and likely are worse) puncture protection than Rubino Pros. I've picked shards of glass out of the Rubino Pros they haven't led to a puncture thanks to a protective belt but would more than likely have gone straight through the Gatorskins. I've also had the threads peelong off the sidewalls of the Gatorskins.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 pm

+ 1 for Rubino Pro.

Drubie, this is funny stuff for us readers, bad luck for you

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:19 pm

Those aren't threads biker jk - it's human hair.

IT'S PEOPLE! GATORSKIN IS PEOPLE!

madmen blew it all up, it' a madhouse etc.

...and yes, I forgot to complain about the constant hair shedding behaviour down the side, partly caused by running the bastards flat, partly by having to remove them so often.

stinkin paws off my bike yer damn dirty continentals

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Drubie - you obviously need Gator Hardshells

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Still solid when I dragged the Kona outta the shed for the work run, survived a 60m stretch of temporary repair gravel and ten minutes medium rain on the trip too. :D

You sure you don't use rimstrips made outta Tally Ho Drubie? :wink:

Shaun
Mulger Bill, to the puncture fairy wrote:Now go away or I will taunt you again! :twisted:
London Boy 29/12/2011

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 pm

drubie wrote:Those aren't threads biker jk - it's human hair.

IT'S PEOPLE! GATORSKIN IS PEOPLE!

madmen blew it all up, it' a madhouse etc.

...and yes, I forgot to complain about the constant hair shedding behaviour down the side, partly caused by running the bastards flat, partly by having to remove them so often.

stinkin paws off my bike yer damn dirty continentals
Mmmmm Soylent Gatorskins.

Apart from that can't contribute to this thread because I haven't ever used Gators.

Have GP4000S on the roadie, Sport Contacts on the commuter and Contacts on the SS. Continental on all 3 bikes which is weird :). Happy with all so far.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
You sure you don't use rimstrips made outta Tally Ho Drubie? :wink:
I wish it was that simple. i triple checked the rim tape, changed the tube Friday night, did a little 15km TT yesterday and a 70km Sunday club run this morning - tyre was already starting to flat on the hill home :evil:

Mulger Bill, to the puncture fairy wrote:Now go away or I will taunt you again! :twisted:
You are so screwed Mulger Bill, the puncture fairy is a harsh mistress :mrgreen:

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Got 2 bnwt still hanging in the shed, will probably never use them going cheap. Found Schwalbe Durano Plus. A bit heavier and a fraction slower but run them at 130-140psi and they roll pretty nicely. So far over 2000km no flats (now I've done it!) and wearing well.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km