Cinelli Xperience Frameset - Red/White - Thoughts

Aushiker

Cinelli Xperience Frameset - Red/White - Thoughts

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:47 am

Hi

Still chasing/exploring options for a summer commuter and this frameset from PBK caught my eye, a Cinelli Xperience Frameset for $631.47 + delivery and assuming they can get an XL (need to confirm that is the correct sizing but 95% sure).

Anyway there is more details on the frame at Cinelli US.

Image Image

It comes with a headset (41.8mm Campagnolo standard), Cinelli carbon fork (1 1/8"), a Cinelli handlebar (0/S), Cinelli stem, bar tape and and a Cinelli seatpost (31.6 mm).

The price is the best I have found on the net for sure and having the extra components makes it quite cost effective. The balance of what I need to get it up and running can come from my CRX 1, plus I just need to purchase a pair of 105 brakes and shifters.

Potentially a package of $1,055 less possible sale of the CRX 1 frame.

Thoughts?

Regards
Andrew

Jean

Re: Cinelli Xperience Frameset - Red/White - Thoughts

Postby Jean » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen these on a number of websites, so I'd shop around for price. Good value for money alu frame I'd reckon.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Jean wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen these on a number of websites, so I'd shop around for price. Good value for money alu frame I'd reckon.
Hi

Yeah I did a fairly extensive search last night and PBK was by the far the best price from what I found.

Andrew

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:36 pm

I've had my eye on one of these for a while too, looks good to me, Columbus Zonal tubing, columbus fork, reasonable weight (~1400g for medium size) quite aggressive race geometry (short wheelbase, short headtube).
Also, very few people would have a cinelli here - it'd stand out from the pack.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:01 am

Nice looking frame that. The added parts really add to the value too.
Is the geometry suitable for the commute?, what about load carrying? Are they rack compatible or will you have to go the bag route? How big a tyre can they fit and will it be enough for your route?

If the answers to the above are good for you go for it. I'd like to see the result.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:23 am

It's basically a racing from what I can surmise, so no rack mounts, bugger all clearance around the tyres see below
http://www.cinelli-usa.com/frame_09xperience.html

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:15 am

Mulger bill wrote:Nice looking frame that. The added parts really add to the value too.
Is the geometry suitable for the commute?, what about load carrying? Are they rack compatible or will you have to go the bag route? How big a tyre can they fit and will it be enough for your route?

If the answers to the above are good for you go for it. I'd like to see the result.

Shaun
Hi Shaun

I suspect the frame is not ideal for a traditional commuter, but I really don't need a traditional commuter as I can drop gear of in the car every fortnight and on the off-week ride the Surly one day a week for a clothes change. Everything else gets left there. If I am finding I need a little load capacity a large saddle bag of some type should do the trick, so what I am now looking for is a good frame to set up as a reasonable priced fast commuter.

I think this frame will do the trick if I can get it in my size.

Thanks
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:16 am

ghettro wrote:It's basically a racing from what I can surmise, so no rack mounts, bugger all clearance around the tyres see below
http://www.cinelli-usa.com/frame_09xperience.html
Hi

Yep which is fine for me ... might even use it for a crit or two if I get my act together on that front.

Andrew

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:47 am

I like the black and white one myself.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:22 pm

You've thought it out and it fits yer needs Andrew, go for it. Red and white does look good.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Andrew you have seen and felt the weight of my Masi that I am using for commuting with the carradice pendle, it has an 11 litre capacity. Just fyi I am doing the 27km's to work in 50mins. I'm doing speeds ranging from 17k/hr upto 55k/hr on the way to work. Roe Hwy I can be doing 38k/hr into a SE wind comfortably. I am sure it is my wheels that are doing it for me. If I was to commute on my Cannondale Carbon C6 I am finding no difference in time getting to work.

You are welcome to try out my TWE wheelset Andrew to see how it runs on your surly. Might need to swap your cassette on tho.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:03 am

If is with PBK, might need to make the decision soon. Extra 15% off next 2 days with "xmas"

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:02 am

nickobec wrote:If is with PBK, might need to make the decision soon. Extra 15% off next 2 days with "xmas"
Hi

Would be nice, but they don't have my frame size at present. Waiting on the stock notification ...

Andrew

Dac

Postby Dac » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi Andrew

did you end up getting one of these? If so, interested what you think because it would seem to cover what I'm looking for as well. Although PBK seem to be out of stock of most sizes at the moment - hope this doesn't mean the good price was due to run out of a discontinued model

Would also be interested in any other options you've come up with along these lines

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Dac wrote:Hi Andrew

did you end up getting one of these? If so, interested what you think because it would seem to cover what I'm looking for as well. Although PBK seem to be out of stock of most sizes at the moment - hope this doesn't mean the good price was due to run out of a discontinued model

Would also be interested in any other options you've come up with along these lines
Hi

No haven't got one. They are/where out of stock of my size and I have been waiting for notification of new stock.

Andrew

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Just got mine yesterday and put it together this morning. I have an Orbea Udana 2010 model which is a touch big, so I ordered the Cinelli frame in a slightly smaller side and switched over the components and wheels. The frame it self is nicely put together with a nice glossy paintjob. The frame itself is Columbus Zonal triple butted 7005, columbus dropouts and fork, FSA headset, Cinelli bars, stem and seatpost. Very good value for A$600, PBK even gave me a voucher for 50GBP as well ;) I took it for a few laps around CP, and it just flies, nice and stiff frame, not too harsh but I am yet to put some longer miles on it so don't take my word for it. Being a smaller frame (it's a small which is about 52cm top tube) the geometry is quite tight and the handling is quite brisk and it's quite chuckable. Here's some pics

Dac

Postby Dac » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Would be interested to hear your unpacking and building story.

How was the frame shipped? Was the fork already installed or did you do this yourself? Did it look like the BB needed facing?

And what else have you put on it?

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:01 am

The frame came packed in a cinelli box in the photo, wrapped with a fair bit of plastic bubblewrap and cardboard, not too bad but not excellent. The fork came separately in the box in it's own protective cardboard and bubblewrap enclosure. The steerer was completely uncut and I assume it's the same length for all frame sizes as it was about 6 inches above the top of the headset, I had to get a bike shop to install the crown race and star nut as I don't have the tools to do it myself properly - however the frame kit didn't include headset spacers. The BB looked fine and the cups went on fine, so far so good. I'm yet to do a long ride on it yet, but so far after a short ride it's pretty sweet. Frame alignment seems perfect, wheels sit in nicely, I didn't have any issues at all. Also one thing to add is that the frame kit also includes the recessed nut for the carbon fork and a seat tube clamp adaptor for a braze on derailleur.

Dac

Postby Dac » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:32 am

Nice looking bike. PBK tell me that the UK distributor won't have any stock in my size until the end of March and I'll probably buy one then. They are available elsewhere but for something like $300 more I can wait. Interesting that they gave you the voucher - was this for their current 15% cashback on frames? Their website says this excludes Cinelli so you must have been lucky.

Did you have a choice of stem and bar sizes? Some shops (eg Bike24) offer a choice but the PBK website doesn't mention this

Would love a progress report after you've had a few rides - keep us posted

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 am

Hi, there is no choice of stem, seatpost or handlebar they just increase size with the frame. I just got back from taking it out on a club ride to Cronulla & back, ~60km return mostly flat with a few hills. Keep in mind that I am comparing it to my previous bike which is a size larger. It just handles beautifully, the frame is nice and stiff however my butt isn't sore (I'm running a carbon seatpost though, it comes stock with an alloy one). The bike steers a bit more responsively, however this is probably due to the smaller size. I got a few comments from the guys in the club, as there are next to no other people with Cinelli frames in Oz, I've seen a Vigorelli track frame once ridden by a hipster in the city but that's about it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Dac wrote:Nice looking bike. PBK tell me that the UK distributor won't have any stock in my size until the end of March and I'll probably buy one then.
Hi

What size are you waiting for?

Andrew

Dac

Postby Dac » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Large

janus77

Postby janus77 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:05 pm

I just bought the large frame online, red and white colour scheme.

Am pairing with 6600 SL wheelset, groupset and pedals.

Looking forward to getting it on the road. :) Hopefully have it to ride by the weekend after this.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:15 pm

janus77 wrote:I just bought the large frame online, red and white colour scheme
hi

Where did you get it from?

Andrew

janus77

Postby janus77 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:42 pm

frame etc, pedals, rubber and tubes from PBK
Wheels and groupset from c r c