Perth head South PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

rolandp

Perth head South PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby rolandp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:56 pm

This is for the Southerns to contribute to critique the Principle Shared Path (PSP) which goes South from Perth.

Click on Perth heading South PSP - Cyclists critique of the infrastructure Google Map and let me know what you think.

If you would like to provide additional items, let me know location including co-ordinates, description and if possible, link to a photograph.

Many thanks go to rodneythellama who pulled the data together for this one.

The East section remains to be mapped, these things do take a little time, so please let me know if you can help and thanks for those who already have put up there hands. West and North already done here.

rodneythellama

Re: Perth head South PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby rodneythellama » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 am

I went to visit my Nan in Success yesterday so I have a couple more critique points. I also made the photos smaller.

http://rodney.id.au/~rodney/psp/psp-sou ... .html#more

I would be interested to know whether people agree or disagree with the criticisms. I have no qualification other than cycling on the PSP south every day.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 am

Yep, yep, yep, I'll agree with these. Might also add :
The path under Canning Bridge is subjected to inundation in Winter, sand on the bends, bogan droppings, group rides cutting corners and coming through two-abreast. The path should be wider, straighter and well away from the waterline.
From the boatramp south of Canning Bridge the path meanders unnecessarily for a primary commuting route, has issues with tree roots, line-of-sight and width, especially just before the pedestrian overpath to Aquinas.
There is a shrubbery on the inside of the corner as you come off Mt Henry, heading south and west, this cuts vision (and is also a favourite roost for old codgers who like to step in front of your bike and demand that you ring the bell while you are trying to emergency-brake. Not unlike the Knights of Ni).
Coming off Mt Henry and turning onto that narrow path that you've mentioned that has issues with lane markings you will also find, if you commute at night, that the entrance to this path is almost invisible, being a dark colour similar to the sourrounding sand.
There are tree root issues on that last underpass before you swing onto the straight path past Murdoch station, as well as sight-line problems because of overhanging trees.
If you are following the path north and pass under Farrington Rd, it T-junctions and most riders will turn right, just where the path crests and this is a blind spot. That corner needs to be widened, to acknowledge that most people will be turning right or if heading south turn left.
In Jandakot and South Lake some of the adjacent no-thru roads actually lead onto the bikepath (at least for cyclists) but there's no signage. An example is Muriel Crt (mind you, every time I go down this one the neighbours give me suspicious looks and I listen for the playing of banjos).
The problem with the kinks in the path as you cross the railway line at South Lake relate to the deviations made to the path when they made changes to the freeway years ago, what we have now is just as bandaid as the original concept and needs the final upgrade, path straightened, trees trimmed and all that.

Apart from finding the bike enclosure at Murdoch often shut before 9am, and full, can't say much else. I don't like the compromise made for the Roe Hwy path and we'll likely see worse when/if they extend this monster. It is good that at least one bikeshop is within sight of the path (at Gateway) and we have the train for bail out). Bad that we have the Freo Doctor and little protection from the wind along most of the path along the river.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:07 pm

rodneythellama wrote: I would be interested to know whether people agree or disagree with the criticisms. I have no qualification other than cycling on the PSP south every day.
I agree with your criticisms and like you I have no qualification other than cycling on the PSP south most days.

I would add:
under Canning Bridge, the southern side often has sand on the path.

Mount Henry bridge, either end with T junction, even though there are giveway signs and most cyclist ring there bell approaching, pedestrians still step out in front of you. (well they do to me). I would like to see mirrors at both ends (and both sides).

Cranford Ave, why is this the only spot you need to cross a busy road on all of the 80km of the southern PSP. I will add ways of improving this area later, but would like to avoid crossing all together.

Selway Road to PSP totally agree, in fact if nobody is around I keep right of that painful bollard in both directions.

Parry St underpass, I hate this more than the Cranford Ave crossing, after one afternoon on way home heading south, I saw a shadow and took evasive action, a second later the helmetless head of an inexperienced rider brushed against my shoulder. If I did not see the shadow, took immediate evasive action, was going a few kmh faster or was 10cm further right (I was tight left and ended up against the fence), the other rider would probably be dead and I would of been a mess, a 40kmh+ head on collision is no fun.

I will add more of the next few days including photos from further south.

PS rodneythellama I believe I saw you taking photos on Friday on my way home, you in orange tshirt, you bike has guards. I did assume rolandp and was going to turn round and say hello, but running late.

rodneythellama

Postby rodneythellama » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Yep nickobec that was me taking pictures!

I wonder what could be done with Canning Bridge to make it better. It looks like there's a little room to make the path wider. Perhaps main roads could give it a weekly sweep instead of waiting for people to submit hazard forms?

Cranford Ave fills me with despair. I don't cross it normally but instead turn onto the road into Brentwood. The only affordable improvement I can think of would be to close the Cranford Ave freeway ramps. But that's not very likely. Main roads might be tempted to install traffic lights or similar but that would be very annoying most of the time.

just4tehhalibut wrote:From the boatramp south of Canning Bridge the path meanders unnecessarily for a primary commuting route, has issues with tree roots, line-of-sight and width, especially just before the pedestrian overpath to Aquinas.
I remember about 2 years ago they fixed some really bad tree roots near that boat ramp. Maybe it's time to submit a problem report because it's getting quite bumpy. Other than their roots ripping up the path, I like the trees and bushes and I think they make the ride something special. They provide a bit of shade, shelter from wind, block the visual pollution from the freeway, and provide a nice look of their own. That's why I was annoyed with the sea wall construction next to Aquinas overpass. Apart from the path being closed for ages, a heap of trees were bulldozed and nothing planted back.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:14 am

Think I've captured the above. Please check out:
Perth heading South PSP - Cyclists critique of the infrastructure Google Map
and let me know if anythings needs to be modify.

If you can also supply images, this helps.

rodneythellama, thank you for getting images, co-ordinates and description. This made this task much easier. I couldn't quickly find a way to show two images, are you able to join the couple of items that you have two images, into one image?

If you want to add any more items, please provide details including co-ordinates and an image (if you can get one).

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Perth head South PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastruc

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:31 pm

The PSP around the South Perth overpass (Mill Street/Judd Street) certainly needs rebuilding, fromthe road base up. I suspect that it would need to be accomanied with some significant works on the wall itself first.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:33 am

Colin, updated with this item.

zues

Postby zues » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Ventured out from Kalamunda today for a ride along the Roe Hwy PSP and then south along the Kwinana Fwy South PSP.
There were lots of riders using these great facilities.
I entered the Roe PSP at Brixton St- noticed lots of broken glass and low branches that obscures the view same opposite the Langford Park.
On the way back opposite the Golf course (Whaleback ?) hit a bump that is shaded by the fringing trees- that might need seeing to in the future.
Riding back up crystal brook road- shrubs are leaning over onto the shoulder.
Should I be reporting this to Kalamunda Shire??

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 pm

zues wrote:Should I be reporting this to Kalamunda Shire??
Zues, would report to MainRoads, as I think the are in control of the highway/freeway PSP's. If I'm incorrect, MainRoads will forward on the request to the correct Council. Copied the below text from DoT Hazard Report Form:
Please note that traffic lights, major principal shared paths alongside freeways, major highways and railway tracks, are usually the responsibility of Main Roads WA. In that case a report should be sent to Main Roads WA or call their hazard reporting hotline, open 24 hours a day, on 138 138 .

If you want to get the co-ordinates/photo, can also add this to the Google Maps.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:19 am

Zues-Langford Park is in part of the City of Gosnells (I live down the road from the park). They do maintain the trees but they can't possibly pick up every single branch that falls each day...Same with most of the area up to just past whaleback..I tend to ignore the branches & just look out for honkey nuts

I've never encountered the bump you mention by the Golf Course & ride there almost every day.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:37 am

I know the bump he is referring to. I hit it as well as Roe Hwy PSP is part of my commute. I think it is by Langford Park Sporting Complex. You go around the badly designed corners and then BUMP. There are quite a few tree roots along that section causing the path to uplift making it bumpy. I'm damn glad I put on my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on the weekend for the winter commute, due to glass and crap on path and road.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

zues

Postby zues » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi Crazy, you wrote"[quote][They do maintain the trees but they can't possibly pick up every single branch that falls each day...Same with most of the area up to just past whaleback..I tend to ignore the branches & just look out for honkey nuts
/quote].
I didnt mention anything about the small twigs and branches on the PSP just the glass and bump.
Not wanting to be pedantic I dislocated my collar bone a year ago after hitting a pothole-bump on the road that was obscured by heavy shade. The Shire took no responsibility on the grounds that they didnt know about it :!: . Also the Shire does not have anybody making routine inspections- only act when theres been an accident. :roll: In this case its a PSP where you would get alot more cycling traffic- eventually those bumps get bigger and become a problem for the unwary.

Stevo99

Postby Stevo99 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:03 am

Agree with all the comments here, but cannot help but think that our issues are nothing when compared to the poor buggers that have to cycle North of the CBD each day :lol:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat May 08, 2010 1:15 am

Stevo99 wrote:Agree with all the comments here, but cannot help but think that our issues are nothing when compared to the poor buggers that have to cycle North of the CBD each day :lol:
Yes the PSP south is far better, but most evenings you are heading into the Freo Doctor. North, no infrastructure, but they get a tailwind into the city most mornings in summer and a tailwind out almost every evening.

JakeTheSnake

Postby JakeTheSnake » Sun May 09, 2010 10:56 pm

nickobec wrote: Yes the PSP south is far better, but most evenings you are heading into the Freo Doctor. North, no infrastructure, but they get a tailwind into the city most mornings in summer and a tailwind out almost every evening.
Making me feel like a right spoiled bugger using the Southern PSP for my Leeming-Garden Island commute..
Always enjoy the peace and quite that part of the ride gives me. Until I hit Ankitel and Rockingham Road that is 8)
Some great feedback being provided here by you all, think you've mentioned everything that comes to my mind.

Cheers
Jake

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun May 09, 2010 11:32 pm

I put up an another topic related to this:
Australian Cycling Infrastructure Issues - web site

You can now record all issues on this new site. Please give it a go.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 am

Hi Guys, need your help.

Had feedback from City of Gosnells requesting more information relating to Langford Sporting Complex, which I'm pretty sure was captured from this forum topic. It is ACII issue ID 17. Could someone point me to the exact location and provide a detailed response on the issues in the area, so this item can be updated?