European tour

rickd

European tour

Postby rickd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 am

I'm looking for advice on, at this stage, planning for 12 month Euro trip.
My wife and I have Surly LHT, which will be fully laden with camping, cooking etc.
Just wondering if the rides through the alps is possible? Do the victorian alps compare?
This is for our 50th birthday, having 12 months off work. Kids will have left home by then, hopefully.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Rick

JustinS007

Re: European tour

Postby JustinS007 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:21 pm

rickd wrote: Any thoughts appreciated.
There may be some items in here that spur your interest. FWIW we were 'fully' laden as well, though really this only meant on average about 12 - 16kg each per day in 2 x rear panniers each and a backpack on top of those.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19495
I'm a runner, but I sure love to ride!

rickd

Postby rickd » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 pm

JustinS007 wrote:
rickd wrote: Any thoughts appreciated.
There may be some items in here that spur your interest. FWIW we were 'fully' laden as well, though really this only meant on average about 12 - 16kg each per day in 2 x rear panniers each and a backpack on top of those.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19495
Thanks for that Justin, there is a ton of stuff to consider.
The only problem with reading your trip log is that it's now hard to focus on the hum drum of day to day life.
Those climbs sounded pretty daunting and we mere mortals will struggle.
Cheers,
Rick

JustinS007

Postby JustinS007 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:31 am

rickd wrote: Those climbs sounded pretty daunting and we mere mortals will struggle.
Out "opt out" plan if we were feeling too tired when we got to Passau was going to be a nice trip along the Danube Bike Path to Vienna and around the Alps rather than over them. Adds about 500km I think from memory, but some beautiful (and much flatter) Austrian countryside and towns to pass through, plus of course Vienna itself.

And yes, when planning a trip like this it can be hard to keep the daily grind going as you prepare to leave. Good luck.
I'm a runner, but I sure love to ride!