Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Beetle wrote:Do you ride around, and hope there are no stray pieces? Or stop, dismount, pick up bike, walk it around, then when you're three or four kilometers up the road put the bike down and get back on? Or isn't four ks far enough for the magnetism that Taterskins have for glass and debris? :lol:


Well, it's not magnetism. I think however that the use of kitchen waste to construct a tyre has accidently reproduced an ancient Wiccan compound previously used to summon flinty cave spirits against Roman armies.

The trick will be to get Continential to stop stirring the eggshells/potatoes/human hair "widdershins" - that is against the direction of movement of the sun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widdershins

If they stirred their unholy brew the other way, it makes a tasty soup instead. :lol:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

by BNA » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 pm

BNA
 

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 pm

I make sure my wheels NEVER turn in the wrong direction Drubie, have you considered riding forwards? :P

Another commute done, some of it thru an area full of drongos getting pi55ed before the George Michael concert (understandably IMO) and still full of atmospheric goodness :mrgreen:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25800
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:13 pm

Forwards you say Mulger Bill. By golly, you might be onto something, but I'd be careful about what I sniffed around a George Michael concert - the UCI would not be pleased.

You'll all be relieved to know I've revived my floor pump by stealing an o-ring from the barrel base plug and used it on the plunger (the original o-ring having been destroyed by a steady diet of Continental cuppa-flats). The bottom, stationary o-ring was replaced with something I found in my garage from the previous owners of the house.

I won't go into any details on this family friendly forum, suffice to say when I found this o-ring shaped, glow in the dark object originally I had to look up on the internet what it was for, and as wise old internet denizens say: what has been seen cannot be unseen. It was a tight fit, and the empty packet is going too be hard to explain, but we now have a pump.

I should also point out that I've been riding around for 3 days through acres of broken glass in the rain, and the maxxis fuse tyres on my steel bike have shrugged off all of it.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby Redbull » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:19 pm

I won't go into any details on this family friendly forum, suffice to say when I found this o-ring shaped, glow in the dark object originally I had to look up on the internet what it was for, and as wise old internet denizens say: what has been seen cannot be unseen. It was a tight fit, and the empty packet is going too be hard to explain, but we now have a pump


How the hell did you fit a frizbee into the bottom off a barrell pump :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
User avatar
Redbull
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Rockingham

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Redbull wrote:
I won't go into any details on this family friendly forum, suffice to say when I found this o-ring shaped, glow in the dark object originally I had to look up on the internet what it was for, and as wise old internet denizens say: what has been seen cannot be unseen. It was a tight fit, and the empty packet is going too be hard to explain, but we now have a pump


How the hell did you fit a frizbee into the bottom off a barrell pump :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:


Rule 34!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Not surprised by you getting good work from the Maxxis Drubie, if I coulda found some Re-Fuse in 700x28c I wouldn't be able to dangle a line in front of yer mate :D

Bicycle pump rule 34??? Is nothing sacred?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25800
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby twizzle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm

drubie wrote:
Jean wrote:the roads are resurfaced in coarse chip (which is getting coarser and more poorly laid if the recent works in Belconnen are any guide) and there is so much glass (especially within cooee of any of Canberra's classy 'taverns') that the mind boggles.


Welcome to Australia, Jean! :mrgreen:


I meant to comment on this the other day - I was talking to a guy at a race recently, and he told me about a mate of his who works for NSW Roads and the guy couldn't believe how bad some of our road surfaces are. I rode on a dirt road today that was smoother than the major six-lane divided arterial road I was on the other day. A mate of mine did 'around the bay' last year - he couldn't stop talking about how smooth the roads are...

So - Jean isn't just imagining it.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

The TATERSKIN challenge.

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Made it to work again Drubie, just thought you should know... :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25800
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: The TATERSKIN challenge.

Postby drubie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:52 am

Mulger bill wrote:Made it to work again Drubie, just thought you should know... :wink:

Shaun


Well Shaun, so did I.

But, it's FREAK BIKE FRIDAY, so the tyres were a tip shop Panaracer and some unpronouncable chinese thing on which the brand name might be "Nylon" that are currently fitted to the home made tandem.

Yes, you heard it here first, the lowest, low end supermarket MTB tyre, half worn, as found at the tip (cost: $3) is a more reliable unit that the Taterskin.

Re: the Canberra road situation. Admittedly it's been a few years since I was down there (23 years was enough!) but I'd like to know where this anonymous NSW road engineer came from. My guess: Homebush.

FREAK BIKE FRIDAY!!!!!! My goodness, how satisfying it is to drop some big gear gumby on the way to work on a home made tandem. Sick, but satisfying.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: The TATERSKIN challenge.

Postby twizzle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:28 am

drubie wrote:Re: the Canberra road situation. Admittedly it's been a few years since I was down there (23 years was enough!) but I'd like to know where this anonymous NSW road engineer came from. My guess: Homebush.


Queanbeyan.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:02 am

Road engineers from Struggletown? I call shenanigans.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby twizzle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:31 pm

drubie wrote:Road engineers from Struggletown? I call shenanigans.


I said 'works for NSW Roads', not 'designs bicycle traps'. He could be one of those guys who holds mental state signs for all I know... (you know the ones - brain is slow or has stopped?).
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby Fleshpiston » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:02 pm

i'm way late posting on this thread...but i find that the top race tyres offer the best puncture protection...kinda makes sense since all the latest r & d goes into that area.
"I ride not because it's easy, but because it's hard. I love to ride, i live to ride" - ramblings from my alter ego 3.3.2010

"BMC frames get better over time just like women and wine" more ramblings 14.3.2010
User avatar
Fleshpiston
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: in my hidden lair or in the basement of Lou's tavern

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 pm

twizzle wrote:
drubie wrote:Road engineers from Struggletown? I call shenanigans.


I said 'works for NSW Roads', not 'designs bicycle traps'. He could be one of those guys who holds mental state signs for all I know... (you know the ones - brain is slow or has stopped?).


Someone from Struggletown with a paying job? I call shenanigans again. :P
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby twizzle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Fleshpiston wrote:i'm way late posting on this thread...but i find that the top race tyres offer the best puncture protection...kinda makes sense since all the latest r & d goes into that area.


Nope (IMHO) - top training tyres offer the best puncture protection.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby twizzle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:44 pm

drubie wrote:
twizzle wrote:
drubie wrote:Road engineers from Struggletown? I call shenanigans.


I said 'works for NSW Roads', not 'designs bicycle traps'. He could be one of those guys who holds mental state signs for all I know... (you know the ones - brain is slow or has stopped?).


Someone from Struggletown with a paying job? I call shenanigans again. :P


Take a look at the prices of houses there now... pretty bloody expensive for a 'country town'.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Property prices are crazy everywhere. You can't tell me that a 66% rise in 6 years is reasonable in ANY country town, but that's what the creepy real estate agents keep bugging us about here. They are nuts.

Did they complete filling in the corridor between the old tip and struggletown, so it's full of houses? I imagine people are living right on top of the old cemetary!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby thejester » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 pm

have to say i thought the roads for "Around the Bay" were excellent compared to Canberra.
Self government definitely saw a decline in our glass smooth roads.
they are "spiked glass" roads now :x
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie
thejester
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: ACT - tuggeranong

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby twizzle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:51 pm

drubie wrote:Property prices are crazy everywhere. You can't tell me that a 66% rise in 6 years is reasonable in ANY country town, but that's what the creepy real estate agents keep bugging us about here. They are nuts.

Did they complete filling in the corridor between the old tip and struggletown, so it's full of houses? I imagine people are living right on top of the old cemetary!


Over 100% in ten years at my place. My 'unimproved land value' went from ~$50K to >$220K in that time. Lets see... rates determined by land value and collected by the local government, local government sets the unimproved land values. Conflict of interest perhaps? If the Govts. weren't so corrupt and in bed with the developers, they would develop and release the land at the cost of developing the land instead of selling the land to developers and requiring 'cheap blocks'. More than $200K for a 400sqm block? - criminal. :evil:


:oops: Could we get more off topics?
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:54 pm

twizzle wrote::oops: Could we get more off topics?


Uh, I think I derailed the thread beyond redemption with the pump story :twisted:

...so, anyone want to recommend some tyres? Train/race, mebbe tilted towards race?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby twizzle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Michelin Krylion Carbon.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

The TATERSKIN challenge.

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Guess what? :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25800
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Lars, The Puncture Fairy wrote:
Pushy wrote:So far over 2000km no flats (now I've done it!) and wearing well.

I know where you ride. 8) I will leave several small presents for you to collect next time you go out. :lol: :lol:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: The TATERSKIN challenge.

Postby drubie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Guess what? :mrgreen:



Oh. Let me rephrase it. I need a tyre that I can train on that'll finish a race :lol:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4617
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Ummm, that'd be the GP4000s then. Prolly my next buy for the 'Dale. :wink:

x28 Taters are a great commuter tyre.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25800
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit
cron