Cyclist in road accident on Antill St Wed 3 March?

psike

Cyclist in road accident on Antill St Wed 3 March?

Postby psike » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi,
driving to work this morning I passed an ambulane and police car on Antill St near the intersection with Northbourne. Looked like there was a cyclist down, and a 4wd pulled off the road on the median strip. Anyone know if the cyclist was ok? I hate rubber necking but when I saw the bike - and it looked ok - left me wondering...
Russ.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

gassyndrome

Re: Cyclist in road accident on Antill St Wed 3 March?

Postby gassyndrome » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm

psike wrote:Hi,
driving to work this morning I passed an ambulane and police car on Antill St near the intersection with Northbourne. Looked like there was a cyclist down, and a 4wd pulled off the road on the median strip. Anyone know if the cyclist was ok? I hate rubber necking but when I saw the bike - and it looked ok - left me wondering...
Russ.
What time was that? I passed there at about 8.20 and there was nothing?

There was a lot of people out and about at that time, including the guy on a Blue Suzuki motorbike who followed me in the bike lane for about 2 kms. :roll:

Cheers,
Simon

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 pm

spoke to my mate who is an ambo and he believes he knows the case and that the guy is ok, but his bike has a very bent rear wheel, apprently he walked out of hosp yesterday with bike over shoulder....

on other bad news

someone got hit today and was a bit messy... mater did tell me more, but i forget, i just know the person was a touch unwell.....
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:01 pm

This one?

http://www.afp.gov.au/media_releases/ac ... nslie.html

ACT Policing’s Collision Investigation and Reconstruction Team are investigation the circumstances surrounding a collision involving a vehicle and cyclist in Ainslie this afternoon (March 4).

The collision occurred about 3.25pm at the intersection of Sherbrooke Street and Davenport Street which involved a white station wagon and a male cyclist riding a blue racing bike.

The male cyclist has been transported to the Canberra Hospital with a serious foot injury.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 am

im glad it was just a foot injury... hoping for a speedy recovery for him :)
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:07 pm

gassyndrome wrote:
There was a lot of people out and about at that time, including the guy on a Blue Suzuki motorbike who followed me in the bike lane for about 2 kms. :roll:

Cheers,
Simon
Man, I ride in Ainslie and on Northbourne nearly every day. Scary stuff. Hope recovery is quick.

As for m-bikes in cycle lanes, I have taken to photographing them and showing them the camera and or pics if time permits at the lights. Sick of it. Some clown nearly hit me on Thursday cutting into the cycle lane.

psike

Postby psike » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:38 am

I have a friend who commutes on a small scooter. She came up to me the other day ashamed as she'd been booked for riding the scooter in the bike lane. Now she really is a new rider, and she admits it was stupid so I can't see it happening again. But she mentioned the police officer had said she could be booked with 3 offences, riding a motorcycle in the cycling lane, crossing an unbroken white line to enter the bicycle lane and changing to the left to over take. the good news was the police officer told her that they'd been booking motorcyclists all morning as they'd noticed the problem of abuse of the cycling lane and the dangers it was causing for cyclists.

Russ

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:43 am

Great news. Not so much about your friend specifically. But it means I will continue keeping my phone camera handy. More than happy to take some happy snaps if it gets aggressive m-bike riders out of our lane.

Silly thing is if a bus driver doesnt see them and isnt expecting someone that quick in the cycle lane, they are a goner and they could take out people waiting at the bus stop.