So much glass - rant

Fletcher

So much glass - rant

Postby Fletcher » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Has anybody else noticed an increase in the amount of broken glass on cycle lanes lately? I thought the silliness of throwing stubbies out of car windows would slacken off after new years, but this week I was dismayed to see even more glass on the cycle lanes on monday morning, on my regular commute from Latham to the city. I didn't notice extra glass on the suburban cycle paths, but dodged a couple of bottles outside the Lighthouse in Belconnen, as you do. When I reached the downhill stretch of Belconnen Way, I dodged the remains of 3 bottles, where you've gotta keep your eyes peeled for glass at 55km/h. Then you get to Barry Drive. Just after the lights at the bottom of the hill, where Belconnen Way becomes Barry Drive, there's a patch of glass covering a 20 metre stretch of the entire width of the cycle lane. It's clear glass but doesn't look like accident debris. Then when you reach the top of the hill, where some clown has thrown a couple of stubbies out of a car window and spread it all over the cycle lane. The glass in Civic tends to be cleaned up fairly regularly, but the arterial roads leave quite a bit to be desired.

I wonder if TAMS is letting it build up and they'll send the street sweepers around after Australia Day.

Thoughts/opinions/experiences/rants?

ve safari

Re: So much glass - rant

Postby ve safari » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:12 pm

I once had a yobbo in a Falcon throw a glass bottle at me. Bloody Ford drivers, they're all the same.

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:06 pm

The Summernats are on at the moment (just finished this arvo) so that could explain an increase in the amount of glass around. Plus debris from just general partying during the Xmas/New Year season. The following link me be of help - http://www.pedalpower.org.au/services/c ... ContId=157

DaNmAn

Postby DaNmAn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Ngunnawal to Civic is a crystal highway - I ws averaging 30kmbetween punctures until I got it sorted with conti gatorskins.
Best investment I made on my bike full stop...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:25 pm

I have covered a fair few k's around north canberra over the last two weeks, and there is an incredible amount of general debris inc glass everywhere. Hope the sweepers come back from hols soon. Still no puncture (touch wood) but I imagine the Gator Skins are doing better than a lot of other tyres might have.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm checking my tyres every day for embedded glass at the moment. There really is a silly amount of the stuff lying about.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Ross wrote: The following link me be of help - http://www.pedalpower.org.au/services/c ... ContId=157
Thanks Ross, I've let them know.

spunkyryan

Postby spunkyryan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:49 pm

2 punctures in 2 days for me riding through Civic during my morning fun ride. And both times the offending shard of glass was brown.

Hmmm, what product is readily available in brown glass bottles :roll:
N+1 - 2019 Colnago C64, Dura-Ace Di2, DT Swiss PRC 1100 Dicut Mon Chasseral

Sia

Postby Sia » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:02 pm

DaNmAn wrote:Ngunnawal to Civic is a crystal highway - I ws averaging 30kmbetween punctures until I got it sorted with conti gatorskins.
Best investment I made on my bike full stop...
+1 for the gatorskins. I bought them just over a year ago, and have had only 4-5 punctures since, whereas with my previous tyres (generic ones that came with my $800 hybrid bike) punctures were almost a fortnightly occurrence.

By the way, hi Dan! I recognise you from your geeky avatar :)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:33 am

Spotted a sweeper working somewhere in the inner north, so it seems we may be back to the usual level of litter in the lanes soon...

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Update:
I used the link provided (thanks again Ross) and notified TAMS. A team was sent out and they cleaned up most of the glass on Belconnen Way & Barry Dr, but there's still quite a lot of glass on Barry Dr which looks like accident debris, and one bottle broken at top of the hill.

Definitely an improvement.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Anyone ridden Fed Highway - Northbourne of late? Back to what someone sage described as a crystal highway. Both ways. Stoopid bogans.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:56 pm

are all the roadwork finished there?

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Yep. Seemingly. But the gravel is still a little loose. Bit noisy to ride on. Shame they replaced smooth bitumen with small chip.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:35 pm

mrgolf wrote:Anyone ridden Fed Highway - Northbourne of late? Back to what someone sage described as a crystal highway. Both ways. Stoopid bogans.
I rode out to Sutton today (joined FH from Horse Park Dr) and didn't see much glass or other debris.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:36 pm

My commute starts at Antill all the way through to Civic and beyond. The glass is all between Antill and Dickson.

gassyndrome

Postby gassyndrome » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:03 pm

mrgolf wrote:My commute starts at Antill all the way through to Civic and beyond. The glass is all between Antill and Dickson.
The cycle paths in Lyneham heading up to the Barton Highway have always been the worst spot in my experience. Northbourne isnt actually that bad considering the 'specials' who live on either side of the road and spend their weekends sitting in deck chairs, sipping VB's in the median strip :shock:

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Yep. They are the types that assaulted me last year when they aggressively forced my partner off the footpath with my 1yo in the trailer.

No idea why the glass is so much worse further on.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:46 pm

mrgolf wrote:Yep. They are the types that assaulted me last year when they aggressively forced my partner off the footpath with my 1yo in the trailer.

No idea why the glass is so much worse further on.
:shock:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Yeah, you are right to :shock:

Dumb a$$ losers. I cant stand it when people are unable to contribute anything positive to society. Problem is, a lot of these deadbeats have kids. And I have to try and teach their kids classmates while they are busy replicating their idiot parents actions.

/emotive rant.

Tomorrow I am due to ride Northbourne again. See how the crystal is holding up...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:37 pm

I often wonder how these people manage to afford cigarettes when they are on the dole. Something wrong with our society when we pay people to do nothing, but it ends up on 'luxury' items.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm

mrgolf wrote:
Tomorrow I am due to ride Northbourne again. See how the crystal is holding up...
I rode out to Sutton again this arvo, this time from Flemington Rd, and didn't see much in the way of glass. Fair few small sharp rocks from the recent road resealing though.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Did you ride back through Dickson? It is running south that most of the glass has been.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:40 pm

No, just out through Sutton and back into Gungahlin via East Talagandra Lane/Mulligans Flat Rd.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Sounds like a good ride. Might check it out. I always just go Old Fed turn and back or Lake George. Ta for the tip. How are the roads?