Buying wheels from the UK

smitsone

Buying wheels from the UK

Postby smitsone » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Hello everyone,
anyone had experience buying wheels from the UK and having them posted over. I have checked a few sites and you can get a pair of DT 1450's for around $780 AUD and postage is free. The only downside is query the warranty issue, doubtful whether the Australian importer would honour it. Is the limit $1000 to come through customs without paying duty ?Any thoughts would be appreciated

cheers

Peter

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:30 pm

Yeah...no chance of warranty but if the savings are huge might be worth it.Personally O wouldn't do it as very rear wheel I buy goes in for a rebuild under warranty :wink:

smitsone

Postby smitsone » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:54 pm

There is a real saving of around $1000 for a quality wheel, would the warranty be an issue ?

triode12

Re: Buying wheels from the UK

Postby triode12 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:03 pm

smitsone wrote:Hello everyone,
anyone had experience buying wheels from the UK and having them posted over. I have checked a few sites and you can get a pair of DT 1450's for around $780 AUD and postage is free. The only downside is query the warranty issue, doubtful whether the Australian importer would honour it. Is the limit $1000 to come through customs without paying duty ?Any thoughts would be appreciated

cheers

Peter
Yes, the limit is $1000.
But customs also factor in the shipping costs - so the item and shipping should cost $1000 or under to be exempt from GST.
Live to ride another day.

Why take unnecessary risks? No matter how small they are...

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:10 pm

smitsone wrote: Is the limit $1000 to come through customs without paying duty ?Any thoughts would be appreciated

cheers

Peter
This is only for personal items carried in checked or hand luggage, not items imported by a freight company for you. I brought a home theatre amp back from HK. At 25kg's I couldn't wait to check it in. I had the store make out a invoice for the equivalent of $990. You don't need to know what I actually paid, but I saved $2000 on local price if that is any indication :shock: 8) :lol:
The older I get, the better I was...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:31 pm

smitsone wrote:There is a real saving of around $1000 for a quality wheel, would the warranty be an issue ?

Dirt Works will not warranty those wheels...

triode12

Postby triode12 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Blybo wrote:
smitsone wrote: Is the limit $1000 to come through customs without paying duty ?Any thoughts would be appreciated

cheers

Peter
This is only for personal items carried in checked or hand luggage, not items imported by a freight company for you. I brought a home theatre amp back from HK. At 25kg's I couldn't wait to check it in. I had the store make out a invoice for the equivalent of $990. You don't need to know what I actually paid, but I saved $2000 on local price if that is any indication :shock: 8) :lol:

Sorry, but the limit also applies to items posted to you. I checked with customs before purchasing used camera equipment from overseas.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:32 pm

Oookaay,
Things must have changed then.
It used be goods under $200 or $400 if they were sent to you. Can't remember the details. I was charged the whole kit and kaboodle (is that a word :?: ) for a package valued just over the $400 mark.

triode12

Postby triode12 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:01 pm

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... CN0621.pdf

The start of this document states that the import entry threshold for goods imported by air and sea increased from $250 to $1000 on Oct 2005.

Zujan

Postby Zujan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:28 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
smitsone wrote:There is a real saving of around $1000 for a quality wheel, would the warranty be an issue ?

I bought Polar CS 200 from Ribble Cycles in UK (over the internet). After about 2 weeks screen was starting to bleed…….ha, problem! I contacted Australian importer in Adelaide Pursuit Performance…and they said, no problem…….send as unit and we will repair unit under the warranty.3 days later I had my unit back looking new as new can be.
2011 Cervelo S3/SRAM Red Black/Zipp 404 T,3T Team
2010 Cervelo R3/SRAM Red, 3T Team,Fulcrum Racing 1

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:36 am

Zujan wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:

I bought Polar CS 200 from Ribble Cycles in UK (over the internet). After about 2 weeks screen was starting to bleed…….ha, problem! I contacted Australian importer in Adelaide Pursuit Performance…and they said, no problem…….send as unit and we will repair unit under the warranty.3 days later I had my unit back looking new as new can be.
Maybee,I also got a warranty card with my CS200 on Ebay,ring Dirt Works and ask :wink:

smitsone

Postby smitsone » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:56 am

thanks guys i will contact Dirtwork and see what they say .

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:04 am

Poplar is in the minority here. Very few companies issue an international warranty. Usually warranty is at the discretion of the distributor but you may be lucky.

Slightly off topic but if anybody is buying computer peripherals overseas, logitech tend to cover goods bought overseas even without an international warranty.

Zujan

Postby Zujan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:04 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Zujan wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
Maybee,I also got a warranty card with my CS200 on Ebay,ring Dirt Works and ask :wink:
I 've been told by Polar that they will not honour waranty if the computer is bought on E-bay ( as they consider them as second hand item then)But hey CS 200cad here is around $400......I paid $180 for it!

Zujan

Postby Zujan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:06 pm

Zujan wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
Zujan wrote: I bought Polar CS 200 from Ribble Cycles in UK (over the internet). After about 2 weeks screen was starting to bleed…….ha, problem! I contacted Australian importer in Adelaide Pursuit Performance…and they said, no problem…….send as unit and we will repair unit under the warranty.3 days later I had my unit back looking new as new can be.
I 've been told by Polar that they will not honour waranty if the computer is bought on E-bay ( as they consider it as second hand item then)But hey CS 200cad here is around $400......I paid $180 for it!