Post your M7 experiences

NotFlyingScot

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:25 pm

wombatK wrote:A cyclist was busy sweeping the cycleway with a small branch of trees just north of Lamb St around 6 pm-ish today. The area was actually much clearer of glass that it had been for a few weeks.

Either zozza hard at work, or he's inspired others to help with it or maybe some clean-up Australia activities have helped.

'onya if it was your handiwork again Zozza.

Cheers
Went south as far as Liz Dr only today and have to agree path was as clean as I have seen it. Anyone going out this evening maybe take care. Looks like a local quarry must have had sand on special this week! Maintenance boys were out ladling copious amounts of the stuff onto anything resembling a crack on the pavement. Could be a bit slippy if you catch any while changing direction. Mind you it's blowing such a gale out there probably all be blown away by this evening!
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:38 pm

zozza wrote:
wombatK wrote:A cyclist was busy sweeping the cycleway with a small branch of trees just north of Lamb St around 6 pm-ish today. The area was actually much clearer of glass that it had been for a few weeks.

Either zozza hard at work, or he's inspired others to help with it or maybe some clean-up Australia activities have helped.

'onya if it was your handiwork again Zozza.

Cheers
Cheers Mate,

that was me :oops:

Lamb St to Power St :|

We were joking recently that Eddie Salas was yelling at Pete Milostic in the shop that Tubes sales were way down! :) "Get out there and Smash some bottles Pete!" :P
Saw you on my south-bound run - had noticed the area was much clearer though on my north-bound trip, even before you'd gone to work. I thought maybe Westlink had been at work as they'd been stuffing tar snakes into the cracks around Rooty Hill, so maybe I was giving them too much credit.

Next time I'll have to stop and give you a hand. Had to get back to pick up GLW last night.
master6 wrote: I am a visitor, staying at Rhodes. Is there a simple way to get a simple fella from Rhodes to the M7 bikeway please?
+1 on boognoss's route along the Parramatta R and through Westmead, although the route through Parramatta is not simple, and most of it lacks anything like reasonable sign-posting.

Russcook has suggested M4 shoulder - you can take the bike paths through the Olympic Park area, to the bike path that runs beside the M4 from Haslams Creek to Church St Parramatta, then on to the M4 shoulder. Then ride that from Parramatta to the Light Horse Interchange or you could also hop off the M4 at Westmead and pick up boognoss's route from Westmead hospital through to Old Windsor Rd and the M7 cycleway. But the route along the river is more scenic and peaceful.

When you thinking of doing it ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 pm

I thought of my previous ride but didn't post because it was a twisted and convoluted trip and that was riding with someone who knew the route well (thanks MSN).

Another idea would be train from Rhodes to Strathfield, then change and head west to Parramatta (and pick up my route where it gets easier) or Seven Hills (closer to M7 start - but I haven't ever ridden from Seven Hills station to the cycleway so not sure of difficulty of navigation and ride). Then plenty of km of M7 cycleway goodness :-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:06 pm

Boognoss wrote: Another idea would be train from Rhodes to Strathfield, then change and head west to Parramatta (and pick up my route where it gets easier) or Seven Hills (closer to M7 start - but I haven't ever ridden from Seven Hills station to the cycleway so not sure of difficulty of navigation and ride). Then plenty of km of M7 cycleway goodness :-).
All good ideas boognoss - but for a station start, the nearest is Rooty Hill. Rooty Hill station is barely 1km west of the cycleway and in clear sight of it. Where you pick up the cycleway is only a few km north of its midpoint - 78 km with absolutely no road crossings if you want to do a full loop - or any part thereof.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

msn

Postby msn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Rooty Hill station makes perfect sense, if you don't mind the train.
Here's the route Boognoss mentions, Bikely Homebush to M7 via Parra - Westmead. Sign posting is poor through Parramatta.
The other option from Seven Hills station requires local knowledge to get to a slow family style bike path, leading to the M7
Bikely Seven Hills station to M7 via Lalor Park - Kings Langley
The satellite views on bikely are old, better to check on http://www.nearmap.com/ for up to date images.

Cheers,

Mark.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:43 pm

wombatK wrote:
Boognoss wrote: Another idea would be train from Rhodes to Strathfield, then change and head west to Parramatta (and pick up my route where it gets easier) or Seven Hills (closer to M7 start - but I haven't ever ridden from Seven Hills station to the cycleway so not sure of difficulty of navigation and ride). Then plenty of km of M7 cycleway goodness :-).
All good ideas boognoss - but for a station start, the nearest is Rooty Hill. Rooty Hill station is barely 1km west of the cycleway and in clear sight of it. Where you pick up the cycleway is only a few km north of its midpoint - 78 km with absolutely no road crossings if you want to do a full loop - or any part thereof.

Cheers
/self-head slap

Of course. I've only ridden past Rooty Hill station about 200 times and didn't even think of it. By far the best train option :). I was fixated on riding from one end to the other, rather than starting in roughly the middle.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Boognoss wrote: /self-head slap

Of course. I've only ridden past Rooty Hill station about 200 times and didn't even think of it. By far the best train option :). I was fixated on riding from one end to the other, rather than starting in roughly the middle.
If it's any consolation, I've ridden the Prospect Canal route many times - but didn't think of it either as a way of accessing the M7. Pretty easy to get fixated on the "wrong track".

Cheers
WombatK

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 am

The ride from Seven Hills station to the M7 is about 3km and 3/4 of it is on cycle paths.

Ride down Seven Hills Road (wide footpath) turn left onto Lucas Road where there the pathway is marked for cycling up to the lights and turn right at Quinn Av and then turn left at Cacia Ave and follow this to the end and the bike path start and runs behind Ashley Brown Reserve.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 01929&z=16

From there isn't pretty quick to the M7 on the cycle path which you can see on the google map in satellite mode.
I ride from Corner of Pineleigh Road and Northcott Road to M7 every day via that bike path and you only have to cross a handful of roads.
Nice warm up for the M7 ride.

Hope that helped in some way.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:12 am

From Prospect to M7 is easy. Just ride the path back past the damn towards the International Park/Equestrian Centre, and at Horseley Drive instead of continuing on, just hang a right on the southern side of it (short steep bit) which runs along Horseley drive, then cross over the road at the lights and just coast down to the M7 Cycleway from there on the footpath (shared path)

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 3&t=h&z=16

Alycat

Postby Alycat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:44 am

Another few motoPOBSO sightings...

A guy I was with for a little bit yesterday, when we saw one of the motoPOBSO's, said he had almost been hit one day, and had a go at the kid, who said "so what, no police out here". Made me think I must have seen 25 or more motoPOBSO's since I last saw a PPOB (Police Person On Bike).
Problem with acronyms is one acronym can have several meanings.. so I joined USA, Unique Standard Acronyms which is enforcing one acronym=one meaning.... powerful group, I saw Obama is president...

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Hadn't done any riding over Easter being in Qld. So thought I'd do a 'lazy' 100Km ride on the M7. Lazy = Not going near the other side of Elizabeth drive. So I got on near the M4 rode to the M2, back to the bubbler, then back to the M2 then back to Elizabeth Drv then back to Glendenning and back to M4 just to get the 100 up, yes I'm soft and I'm running an 11-23 so I hate that hill. Next time I'll just do 20 laps of the regatta centre. :D

Lots of roadworks and mowing/cleaning going on but luckily no punctures.

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Saw heaps of bikes at the Equestrian centre today, anybody know what was going on?

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:55 pm

zozza wrote:Saw heaps of bikes at the Equestrian centre today, anybody know what was going on?
probably THIS big Zozz
I wanted to give it a go but my MTB is sort of unrideable at the moment :(

Don

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:57 pm

zozza wrote:Saw heaps of bikes at the Equestrian centre today, anybody know what was going on?
Yep, second round of this Sydney Equestrian Centre Duathlon – 27th June 2010 – 10:00am
Don and I were thinking about entering but neither one of us bothered doing any training :roll:

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Damnit Don !!! You beat me to it :lol:

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks guys, It looked like some sort of tri set up

Chuck

Re:

Postby Chuck » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:14 pm

zozza wrote:a turtle running across the path in front of me at the equestrian centre..
Turtles can run :shock: :o :shock: :o

:P
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Spiza wrote:Yes guys... almost a racer. Got a licence and club membership, just haven't taken the plunge. Soon though :D
We're still waiting....

:mrgreen:
FPR Ragamuffin

zozza

Re:

Postby zozza » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:52 am

Chuck wrote:Rode the M7 cycleway tonight. Hopped on at Prestons.
The first 15 or so kms was terrible, I felt ordinary and was dawdling. I seriously considered turning back. I persevered and I started to feel really good. I originally planned to go 16kms and turn around but I felt that good that I decided keep going and see what happens.
First time riding it for me and I enjoyed it except for the killer hills and I had the path to myself.
32kms travelled all up. 2'31" in the saddle at an average speed of 15kms :oops:.
The arm and leg warmers I purchase proved to be money well spent as it was a tad chilly.
Really want to run the shoulder as I'm guessing I am a much faster jogger.
You're an Animal Chuck :P

zozza

Re: Re:

Postby zozza » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Chuck wrote:
zozza wrote:a turtle running across the path in front of me at the equestrian centre..
Turtles can run :shock: :o :shock: :o

Maybe I mistook it for a hare? :P

:wink:

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Chuck wrote:
Spiza wrote:Yes guys... almost a racer. Got a licence and club membership, just haven't taken the plunge. Soon though :D
We're still waiting....

Any time now..

Chuck

Re: Re:

Postby Chuck » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 pm

zozza wrote:
Chuck wrote:Rode the M7 cycleway tonight. Hopped on at Prestons.
The first 15 or so kms was terrible, I felt ordinary and was dawdling. I seriously considered turning back. I persevered and I started to feel really good. I originally planned to go 16kms and turn around but I felt that good that I decided keep going and see what happens.
First time riding it for me and I enjoyed it except for the killer hills and I had the path to myself.
32kms travelled all up. 2'31" in the saddle at an average speed of 15kms :oops:.
The arm and leg warmers I purchase proved to be money well spent as it was a tad chilly.
Really want to run the shoulder as I'm guessing I am a much faster jogger.
You're an Animal Chuck :P
Dam straight....

FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Re:

Postby Chuck » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:05 pm

zozza wrote:I'm riding a Huffy :D really sweet bikes they are too 8) But the bug has bitten and am eyeing something oh so nice with some choice Shimano bits....mmmm Shimano :D I rode the shoulder on a wed because I'm soft and the cycleway is too hilly :cry: It's dead flat and I suspect that was partly the reason pedalling seemed effortless? I don't know about riding the shoulder at night though as I'm scared of the dark :oops:
Noob :roll:

FPR Ragamuffin

zozza

Re:

Postby zozza » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:06 am

Chuck wrote:Think I may have embarrassed myself though. I called out a hearty greeting to Don (leximack) as he was passing, heading the other way. The only problem being, given the confused look on the guys face, I don't think it was him :oops: .

Oh well :lol:
HEY DON!

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:29 pm

Chuck wrote:Saw a huge red belly black snake on the cycleway and I shreiked :o at the Prestons end near the last bridge adjacent to the fields :x . This thing was well over 2 metres long :shock: :| and heading in the same direction as I was on a Giant :mrgreen: (towards Maccas). It was on the grassy part between the fence and the path :cry: .

I saw it late, I was a couple of metres from it when I noticed it, and $h@t myself :x :x :x :x instant jelly legs :oops: (who needs Darren and Zozz :lol: ). Didn't really know what to do to be honest so I rang the M7/Westlink office to report it toi NPWS. :mrgreen:

Never seen a snake that wasn't behind glass before today :o
You ok now buddy?