Tailights

Vipul

Tailights

Postby Vipul » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Hey guys,

What brand of tailights do you use?

I just ordered the Radbot 1000 and wondering if anyone else has this?

Cheers

Aushiker

Re: Tailights

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi

Interesting (?) comparison of the Radbot 1000 versus the Superflash which is what I use (or various variants):

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi

BTW what sort of dollars at the LBS?

Andrew
Andrew

Vipul

Postby Vipul » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi Andrew,

I got mine of Ebay for $35 including shipping from the US

Vipul

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Vipul wrote:Hi Andrew,

I got mine of Ebay for $35 including shipping from the US

Vipul
That is not a bad price. Will be interested to see how you go with them.

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Ah, the 1W led.

I have a B&M Seculite 1W dynamo-powered steady tail-light and a 1W Mars 4.0 battery tail-llight that I use on flashing. I'm wary of using the 1W flashers when riding with others as I hear many complaining about the blinding effects and almost seizure-inducing nature of the 0.5W Superflash. A steady tail-light is less annoying to fellow riders.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:08 pm

il padrone wrote:Ah, the 1W led.

I have a B&M Seculite 1W dynamo-powered steady tail-light and a 1W Mars 4.0 battery tail-llight that I use on flashing. I'm wary of using the 1W flashers when riding with others as I hear many complaining about the blinding effects and almost seizure-inducing nature of the 0.5W Superflash. A steady tail-light is less annoying to fellow riders.
I run mine on steady if riding in a group. I only really use it on flashing at dusk.
<removed by request>

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Blackburn Mars 3.0 has been pretty good to me so far

http://bicycling.about.com/od/equipment ... r/mars.htm
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Superflash for me.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Another happy Superflash rider.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:53 pm

I used to have the Blackburn Mars 2.0 - before someone stole it off my bicycle. That was a pretty darn good tail light. I hope that the Mars 3.0 is just as good.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:06 pm

Superflash as a backup, but always have the amazing 3watt Dinotte 140R on day and night...has 3 solid modes (high, med, low) and three flashing modes. Was about $180 when I purchased over a year ago, but the the AU$ improving against the US$, they are now only $97...very well made (in the US)...

http://www.dinottelighting.com/Products.htm

hexrunt

Postby hexrunt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 am

Tail-light brand.... Well my tailight is a lame Big-W brand one, Repco if I recall correctly. Its not the brightest thing out in definite contrast from my front light but it works well enough for now.

It will probably be upgraded soon enough though as my 'shopping' bikes tailight got crushed and it will probably receive my repco cheapie.

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:40 am

echo coffs gals sentiments on the Dinotte light. Purchased for $160.00 last August. Use it religiously and have cars stop allongside and ask where didi you get that light from. Use it day and night religiously. Purchased a Balckburn flea USB reachargable as an additional light ( on helmet) about $35: 00 =. Nice little sturdy number.. Rock solid. Does the job. The Dinotte 140 L r is my main light.. I ride all year i all conditions day and night. You need to be seen. Don't scrimp

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 pm

That Radbot 1000 is a pretty impressive light as far as bang for buck is concerned has me interested so thanks for the heads up. :D

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Coffsgal - I like that one!!! :lol: :twisted: Hopefully I wouldn't get run over with that one - might have to look into that one....

http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared ... oducts.asp That's the 140R LI 2c

or should I go for the:

http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared ... oducts.asp

Just trying to read about the two of these and see which one could be the best of the best - or which model is in the photos above. I'm thinking I should go for the 400 R series. ? And it comes with a charger and rechargeable batteries?

Any thoughts guys? Most appreciated! :lol:

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:06 pm

cp123 wrote:Coffsgal - I like that one!!! :lol: :twisted: Hopefully I wouldn't get run over with that one - might have to look into that one....

http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared ... oducts.asp That's the 140R LI 2c

or should I go for the:

http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared ... oducts.asp

Just trying to read about the two of these and see which one could be the best of the best - or which model is in the photos above. I'm thinking I should go for the 400 R series. ?

Any thoughts guys? Most appreciated! :lol:
I haven't seen the 400R-LI_2C in real life, but it would have to be pretty amazing and has more mounting options than the 140R...the downside for the 400R is that it uses a proprietry rechargable battery unlike the the 140R which uses 4 standard AA rechargables...if the proprietry battery fails it might be a hassle to get a new one...the proprietry battery is also a little larger than the 4 AAs used for the 140R...I squeeze the 4xAA battery pack in my under saddle tool bag. Not sure of the run time for the 400R, but I get about 10 hours run time per charge for the 140R (on slow flash). It is the 140R in the pics in my previous post.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks heaps Coffsgal for replying. I'm not sure I'd fit anything much more under my seat. I'm a bit short wheel based myself... :oops: :lol: and my frame is 49 cms. I barely have enough room to fit a pissy little tube bag and a light that can see over the top of the back wheel. So I have a second light on my right back stay.

Yup - the battery side of things could be a decider. Plus the price for replacements if/when it carks it. If i can't get them easily or have to write to america all the time the 140 model may be the way to go. Hmmm - decisions decisions. :P

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:34 pm

140R which uses 4 standard AA rechargables - I purchased this one based on price alone..re mounting it comes with a little bag to enclose the batteries and casing. 2 x velcro straps ensure its held in place in front of my seat on the top tube.. My leg used to brush past it.. A rubber tie fixed that problem.. I purchased some cheap recharges from the auto shop and the some of the better ones. I'd buy the same light again and I'd pay the same price again. The way the Auzzie dollar is at the moment it's a steal. Must say I'm a tad disspaointed with my Blackburn flea usb rechargable.. Works o.k but once charged it flashes every 2 seconds for quite some time.. I'm going to run it flat and try again.. Anyone else had probs with this light

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:27 pm

lgbran wrote: Must say I'm a tad disspaointed with my Blackburn flea usb rechargable.. Works o.k but once charged it flashes every 2 seconds for quite some time.. I'm going to run it flat and try again.. Anyone else had probs with this light
Any light that comes with a proprietary battery and needs to be recharged via a USB connection to a computer has knobs on it I reckon :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?

Pavlova

Postby Pavlova » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:23 am

CoffsGal wrote:Superflash as a backup, but always have the amazing 3watt Dinotte 140R on day and night...has 3 solid modes (high, med, low) and three flashing modes. Was about $180 when I purchased over a year ago, but the the AU$ improving against the US$, they are now only $97...very well made (in the US)...

Cripes\, that's bright. Looks like a scene from close encounters, a UFO is about to land on you. I will get one of those I think.
2009 Malver Star Oppy Bol D'or
2008 Giant CRX2
Couple of old clangers (one with kiddie seat)

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Pavlova wrote:
CoffsGal wrote:Superflash as a backup, but always have the amazing 3watt Dinotte 140R on day and night...has 3 solid modes (high, med, low) and three flashing modes. Was about $180 when I purchased over a year ago, but the the AU$ improving against the US$, they are now only $97...very well made (in the US)...

Cripes\, that's bright. Looks like a scene from close encounters, a UFO is about to land on you. I will get one of those I think.
I think that first pic is probably taken in the snow which increases the effect...but in any case they are a very bright light...lots of headlights are 1 or 2 watts...the Dinotte 140R being 3 watts is powerful for a tailight.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Dinotte's web site wrote:140R-LI-2C In Stock 140L-LI-2C-R 140R Taillight (200L series style aluminum) $249.61
:shock: Tell 'im he's dreaming!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Maybe, but if it saves you the $4k in hospital bills plus the $3K in surgery costs + the $2K in bike repairs it might be a bargain.

Sure, my incident wasn't an accident, but lots of them are and this will certainly help especially when visibilty is an issue.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Sorry, I gotta call it.

You'll get great visibilty to motorists with a lot less than 3W of tail-light. A 1w flasher is excellent as a tail-light and then add good reflective materials and you're very visible.
Mandatory helmet law?