Amy's Ride - Canberra 14th March

HAKS

Re: Amy's Ride - Canberra 14th March

Postby HAKS » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:40 pm

110km done and dusted.........well actually it was only 103km according to my GPS. Did it in 3:27:33 which I am stoked about. Average of 29.8km/g. I was sitting on about 30.8km/h half way through the 2nd lap but the last Cotter climb changed that :P.

Overall excellent event. They said they had 713 registered riders. Bunch etiquette was excellent even with some novice bunch riders around (ie. me). Encouragement was also great as on the 2nd lap we started catching the back end of the 65km ride. Everyone was encouraging them to keep going which was really good. I take my hat off to some of the back end of the 65km riders, riding MTBs with full knobblys but still giving it there all. Props also go to the guy on the cyclecross bike with 2inch knobblys. He was carving up the front end of the 110km fleet out of coppings crossing.

Weather was pretty good. Light drizzle from the start out to about Copping Crossing. A bit more drizzle on the way back in but otherwise mostly overcast which keep things nice and cool. Both times out on Uriarra road after the crossing I hit a bit of a flat spot and was left wandering between 2 small groups. Took the opportunity the to re-energise with some gels which really helped by the time the climb out of Cotter came. The last bit of the 2nd climb out of Cotter was a grind, tried to get out of the saddle but legs were like jelly :roll:.

Hope it comes back next year :)
Last edited by HAKS on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I nearly pulled out on the first lap but decided to keep going. I went out a bit too hard on the first lap. 139km for me today including the ride from home and back.

The 110km bunch was not too bad until we started climbing Coppins and then this stupid person in a white Corolla decided to try and overtake the bunch on the crest of the hill over double lines! Then some richard cranium rider (didn't get his number) decided to overtake the white Corolla while he/she was trying to overtake the bunch on the crest of the hill! :x A few not-so complimentry things were yelled at him. No wonder cyclist get a bad name. :cry:

The other traffic incident involved a pair of bogan rednecks in a Land Cruiser going along the false flat of the Homestead that yelled some abuse at our small bunch of three riders. The passenger was so brave he only had the window down a fraction. Probably enough for me to insert my frame pump, if he had stopped I would of been looking to insert it somewhere else! :mrgreen: About a minute later a cop on a motorbike came past in the opposite direction but the bogans had moved on. Talking with others after the race he had abused several other cyclists as well. Why can't they just drive past and get on with their lives instead of harassing people that are minding their own business?

There seemed to be a lot of cyclists pulled off to the side fixing flat tyres. Would of counted a dozen I reckon.

I finished about 20th, behind the first two main bunches.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Yeah there were a few morons in cars coming out of Coppings Crossing.

Actually that reminds me some stupid moterbike passed our group on the corner at Casurina sands. He crossed double unbroken lines and a 4WD was coming the opposite way. If he had just waited 10sec until the climb then the group I was in all moved into single file.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Ross wrote:The other traffic incident involved a pair of bogan rednecks in a Land Cruiser going along the false flat of the Homestead that yelled some abuse at our small bunch of three riders....
He passed me about two thirds of the way between Uriarra and the Homestead - hand on the horn... :roll:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

spunkyryan

Postby spunkyryan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:43 pm

An awesome ride. Wasn't too sure what expect from Uriarra having only driven through it previously but it wasn't that hard.

I did the 65km ride which was enough for me with next to no preparation. The significant other did the 30km ride with very little preparation and he seemed to enjoy it.

Now we're hanging out for the Fitz's Challenge later this year :twisted:
N+1 - 2019 Colnago C64, Dura-Ace Di2, DT Swiss PRC 1100 Dicut Mon Chasseral

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:43 pm

me and the trusty lil MTB with slicks managed to do the 65km in 3hr 30mins.

I was extrememly impressed with myself as i aimed to finish at 1pm, and i finished at 12.59.

I rode with a lady who was about the same pace which was nicer than going alone.

i enjoyed Coppins and Uriarra, but bloody hell, Cotter was not fun with jelly legs with the long ride up the hill.

i only saw one !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, unfortunately he was on a bike.... sitting in the middle of a lane when there is room to the left and holding up a line up of traffic is just inconsiderate. Needed to use his common sense.

HOWEVER, as a S L O W rider, I was really impressed by a larger number of riders offering best wishes to me as i was riding back intowards towards, so if that was you, thanks :)

cheers
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

nescius

Postby nescius » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:57 pm

I did the 65km with my Dad, Brother and Sister (my bro and I rode there and back, which was about 95km all up). I thought it was a pretty nice ride and that everyone conducted themselves very well. My sister struggled with the hills a bit, but considering the amount of training she did (or should that be didn't) that is not surprising, unfortunately for me that meant I had to push her up all of the hills. While I was pushing her up I lost count of the number of other riders who offered her gels, bars, powerade or just words of encouragement to help her along, I was very impressed :D

So all in all I thought it was a fantastic event and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Well done guys 8)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Just realised my post went missing. :evil:

103.04km in 3:34:28, 242W average, 3138Kj of work (about 12,500Kj of food).

Not the best effort for me for the first half as too many people rode it like a race, cruising downhill and on the flat and hammering up the hills. Was much better on the second lap when I rode it as a TT, and I was flying past most people at the end. Lots of morons riding three or four abreast, and one horrible moment where a line of traffic tried to overtake a pack over a blind crest over double-yellows and encountered another vehicle!

I picked up the pace for the second lap, and managed to stay in endurance/tempo most of the time, but no chance of catching the bunches - not helped by stopping for a chat for four minutes with the Vets at their race finish, a couple of long stops while I tried to find which pocket I'd put the bars in... and time out to do the key lock on the phone as it was trying to send SMS messages by itself again. :oops:

seddo

Postby seddo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm

nescius wrote:I did the 65km with my Dad, Brother and Sister (my bro and I rode there and back, which was about 95km all up). I thought it was a pretty nice ride and that everyone conducted themselves very well. My sister struggled with the hills a bit, but considering the amount of training she did (or should that be didn't) that is not surprising, unfortunately for me that meant I had to push her up all of the hills. While I was pushing her up I lost count of the number of other riders who offered her gels, bars, powerade or just words of encouragement to help her along, I was very impressed :D

So all in all I thought it was a fantastic event and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.
My significant other did the 65km and struggled on the two 8% inclines - she also mentioned the offers of help, encouragement and concern from other riders - THANK YOU
:D

slik50

Postby slik50 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Well, what a great day. I did the 65K ride (3hrs 29min, when I planned for > 4hrs 15). Beyond the time, my goal was to avoid walking, success on both counts.

More importantly though it was a great bunch of people. I had constant nice comments from people passing me. I stopped to eat near the top of the climb out of the cotter and was really surprised about how many people checked I was OK as they passed.

I hope it is back next year.

Rob

psike

Postby psike » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Well done all. While you were riding today I was driving back from Mansfield and the Scody High Country Challenge on Saturday. In our Hartley gear the team really stood out and as we actually worked as a bunch we had a whole heap of hangers on. Best comment "I was going to offer to help up the front but you guys looked so organised"... yeah thanks :) Mt Buller was a great climb - especially the sharp steeper corners at the top and a wicked descent, I loved the off camber switch backs...

The only downside - the idiot(s) who through tacks over the road causing a few dozen flats. Lucky for us no flats - touch wood. Have to do the Amy's ride next year.

Cheers,
Russ.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Hmmm. I piked. Health just wasnt 100% so I took the morning off. Still got in 50kms with the trailer this afternoon, though. Definitely 100kms next year if its back. I knew I would regret not doing it, and I was right. Well done to everyone else.

bella26

Postby bella26 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:39 am

Well what a great event. :D Three of us came down from the Snowy's and did the 65kms. It was a very early start for us - up at 5am to leave by 5.30am (no hotels available due to all the festivities in Canberra!) We all found the ride fun and challenging. The organisation was really great as well so top marks to those running the event. The climbs were tough but I was really happy with how I managed with them. All those days riding hills here in the Snowy's certainly helped and I was pleased to actually be able to pass some people going uphill - certainly a first for me!! :D I even found myself enjoying the last long climb on that loop - not sure which climb that was but it seemed to go forever!!

The Uriarra loop was great and we were all wondering at times whether the roads had been closed due to the lack of cars. Not being from the area we aren't sure whether that was normal or not. What a lovely scenic area to ride in as well - the descents were also really enjoyable although of course what goes down must go back up! The other thing I really noticed was the number of females participating in the event was quite high - as a fellow female here that was great to see :-) All up we finished the 65kms in just under 3hrs which we are happy with. We will definately be back next year and this time aim to train more and do the 110kms.

Thankfully we didn't come across many idiots in cars although there was one of note - a real $h!t for brains in a ute emblazoned with personal number plates (wildone). He cut off a van and then just screamed past a whole heap of riders. Sadly the message of a metre matters will certainly be lost on these neanderthals!

All up though a fantastic event and I'm sure next year we will be certain to get a bigger group come down from the Snowies for it. :D
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 am

bella26 wrote:Thankfully we didn't come across many idiots in cars although there was one of note - a real $h!t for brains in a ute emblazoned with personal number plates (wildone). He cut off a van and then just screamed past a whole heap of riders. Sadly the message of a metre matters will certainly be lost on these neanderthals!
Was that towards the end of the roadworks near the Glenloch interchange? A ute passed us at about 4 million km/h through there (40 zone), he was so quick I didn't catch his plate. That was really the only display of poor driving that I witnessed, the majority of motorists seemed to be on their best behaviour... though it is possible that the multitude of motorcycle police cruising around had something to do with that.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Photos from Amy's Ride - http://www.epsomrdstudios.com.au/index. ... 2700cf5330

I'm the very handsome guy :wink: second from left in the first photo!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:46 pm

8) Thought i also saw them taking shots on the cotter climb. Was looking forward to seeing those ones with my grinding away :P

http://www.epsomrdstudios.com.au/produc ... 2700cf5330

http://www.epsomrdstudios.com.au/produc ... 2700cf5330
Last edited by HAKS on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 pm

I've found my photos... but they are all unattractive. :oops:

Poor bloody bike - no wonder I kill wheels. I look like an adult on a kids bike.

Ross - your link doesn't work.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:59 pm

You must have been about 100m up the road from me Twizzle in that 1st shot :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 pm

HAKS wrote:You must have been about 100m up the road from me Twizzle in that 1st shot :)
And you obviously passed me.... :?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:21 pm

twizzle wrote:
HAKS wrote:You must have been about 100m up the road from me Twizzle in that 1st shot :)
Meh wasn't a race :). I found some of Eric, but will let him post them if he wants.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 pm

HAKS wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Meh wasn't a race :). I found some of Eric, but will let him post them if he wants.
Tell that to all the people hammering up the hills.

I was slow. I'll blame my 12kg bike. :roll:

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm

twizzle wrote: Tell that to all the people hammering up the hills.

I was slow. I'll blame my 12kg bike. :roll:
I'm prob guilty of that, but I had to make up for the poor efforts on the flats :P.

That bike is huge!

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:53 pm

twizzle wrote:
Ross - your link doesn't work.
I just checked it and it seems to work, maybe you need to cut and paste the complete URL into another browser window

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:59 pm

I like this one of me

http://www.epsomrdstudios.com.au/produc ... _id=320829

wasn't my intention to pose for a photo, but i did make a U-turn to swing back to photographer's preferred distance for his 70-200 Canon lens though...