profile design bottle - UCI legal?

Parrott

profile design bottle - UCI legal?

Postby Parrott » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm

are these water bottles uci legal?

I use one in our club tts and it is great. However we aren't super strict here. I am thinking of going in the SA tt champs as a few from our club are heading over. There is scrutineering before the event and I want to be legal.

JV911

Re: profile design bottle - UCI legal?

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:11 am

i've only ever seen them used in triathlons which dont come under UCI
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

531db

Postby 531db » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:14 pm

I can find nothing in UCI/CA technical rules prohibiting these bidons or their placement.

Perhaps Alex (a CA Commissaire) can comment?

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:23 pm

531db wrote:I can find nothing in UCI/CA technical rules prohibiting these bidons or their placement.

Perhaps Alex (a CA Commissaire) can comment?
I can't find anything on water bottles in the uci rules at all :? Our local bike compliance bloke reckons the bottle needs to be fixed scirely to the bike when not in use and not likely to be dislodged, which this does better than a regular bottle and cage IMO. Can't find any reference to that information though. I have emailed cycling SA and will see what they reckon.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:35 pm

They might argue it under the 3 to 1 rule...Kirsten Armstrong had to remove the bottle off her cervelo...or maybe an aero dynamic aide?...after all you can't run bladders on your back can you...etc etc.If they were legal you would have seen them as they look a bit similar to Giant/Specialized nose cones which are now banned...so you can be sure if they were legal aero gurus would have incorporated them into their designs...I put my money on no.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:56 pm

I am expecting a no as I have only seen them used in tris and I know how little the governing bodies like change. I am intersested to hear the reason though, as I am pretty sure it will pass the 3:1 rule (I'll measure it tomorrow) and it aint a fairing as there is a big gap between it and the steerer.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:28 am

passes 3:1 rule easily.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Heard back from cycling SA today and after discussion with a number of commissaires they are saying it should be okay, so long as it doesn't affect the aerodynamics of the bike :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:23 pm

How the hell could it affect the aerodynamics of the bike :?: I used this type of biddon cage setup, back in the late 70s- early 80s. :?

Gary
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:32 pm

A bit like having a nose cone on the Specialized or Giants that have just been banned...I am not saying that your bulk standard oval tri bottle does that.But it wouldn't take much for a designer to turn a bottle into a nose cone after all.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 pm

toolonglegs wrote:They might argue it under the 3 to 1 rule...Kirsten Armstrong had to remove the bottle off her cervelo...or maybe an aero dynamic aide?...after all you can't run bladders on your back can you...etc etc.If they were legal you would have seen them as they look a bit similar to Giant/Specialized nose cones which are now banned...so you can be sure if they were legal aero gurus would have incorporated them into their designs...I put my money on no.
Since when has having a bladder under our skin suit been illegal? Must be recent?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:27 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:They might argue it under the 3 to 1 rule...Kirsten Armstrong had to remove the bottle off her cervelo...or maybe an aero dynamic aide?...after all you can't run bladders on your back can you...etc etc.If they were legal you would have seen them as they look a bit similar to Giant/Specialized nose cones which are now banned...so you can be sure if they were legal aero gurus would have incorporated them into their designs...I put my money on no.
Since when has having a bladder under our skin suit been illegal? Must be recent?
Actually mate I don't really know...I seem to remember they were not allowed but they may well be.They used to stitch camel bladders into skin suits but I thought they were banned as an aero aid.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:00 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Our local club ruling is you can wear them over the top of your skinsuit if they are worn on your back but not under as they can be seen as an aerodynamic aid when worn under. To wear them under the skinsuit we have to wear them on chest/abdo. Haven't looked for any official regs though as I haven't got one.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Parrott wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
To wear them under the skinsuit we have to wear them on chest/abdo.
As G. Hincapie did during a TT in last years tour
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 am

Parrott wrote:are these water bottles uci legal?
Looking at the bike, I think the bottle is the least of your UCI reg concerns.

But on that, I would suggest that nothing attached to handle bars should protrude above the height of the saddle.
If I were to place a bidon between bar extensions, I'd be placing it horizonally, not vertically, in order to minimise frontal area and Cd.

How long are the TTs you are doing? Don't really need a bidon for most road TTs under an hour, unless it's really hot.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Looking at the bike, I think the bottle is the least of your UCI reg concerns.

But on that, I would suggest that nothing attached to handle bars should protrude above the height of the saddle.
If I were to place a bidon between bar extensions, I'd be placing it horizonally, not vertically, in order to minimise frontal area and Cd.

How long are the TTs you are doing? Don't really need a bidon for most road TTs under an hour, unless it's really hot.

I only used those bikes to illustrate the bottle and where it sits, but yeah the top one looks like it has the saddle way to forward to be legal and is on a big angle also :? Mine is a P2C in the avatar.

I'm thinking of going in the 50k elite tt as a number filler :oops: just to see how I go. I use the bottle on anything over 30 min just to wet the mouth which is probably just a comfort thing but itseems to make it a bit easier to breathe. Can't take a big drink though as I am breathing too hard. Just small sips now and then.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Parrott wrote:Mine is a P2C in the avatar.
Nice :)
Parrott wrote:I use the bottle on anything over 30 min just to wet the mouth which is probably just a comfort thing but itseems to make it a bit easier to breathe. Can't take a big drink though as I am breathing too hard. Just small sips now and then.
Fair enough.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:19 pm

I personally think you can't lob everyone, into the same basket, as far as hydraytion goes.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km