Perth City to Fremantle

Aushiker

Perth City to Fremantle

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:19 pm

G'day

On Friday Chase is going into Fleet for her first service ( the free one hence she is going to Fleet). Fleet is located on Wellington Street opposite the Bus Depot.

Anyway when I pick her up in the avro I am considering heading straight out to Fremantle. Hence this posting.

I am looking for the best route from Wellington Street across to the Freeway south and then to Freo. I guess from the Freeway it is a river run all the way, so the main focus of this post is the cross over the city.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Andrew

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Think West on Wellington then South down Milligan across St Georges Tce to Spring Street to the Narrows interchange bike paths.
Hope you get a tailwind.

Les

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:43 pm

PS if you get a roaring Southerly don't use the riverside bike path along the freeway but come up the East side of the narrows bridge and then travel south on Mill Point Road and Labouchere Road then hang a right into Thelma then South along Mellville Pde to the pedestrian overpass at Cale Street crossing there to the freeway bike path just before Canning Bridge. Its more sheltered and there's a shared path along Labouchere.
Les

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:46 pm

Pushy wrote:Think West on Wellington then South down Milligan across St Georges Tce to Spring Street to the Narrows interchange bike paths.
Les
Is this road or shared path? I am not keen on city traffic so would prefer to avoid as much as possible.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Personally, from there to Freo I think I'd opt for the bike path through Subi, but it's a close call.

Going along the Kwinana, it's a river run until the Canning Hwy, then you need to scoot through Applecross and get back to the river. Then later you'll need to leave the river again around Blackwall Reach.

Pity I'm doing a different ride that evening. I'd offer to ride with you and show you the way.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Personally, from there to Freo I think I'd opt for the bike path through Subi, but it's a close call.
Can you provide more details? I am quite happy for a touch of scenic riding rather than getting there via the quickest route. I will need to drag out the maps I think.
Pity I'm doing a different ride that evening. I'd offer to ride with you and show you the way.
Thanks for the thought. I would be worried about keeping up with you but!

Regards
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:50 pm

This link has both routes combined into one. If I'm on the CBD-Subi-Freo ride, I don't go out to Cottesloe.

The Subi bike path is the one which goes along the rail line.

Hey, just because I can ride quickly (sometimes), it doesn't mean I always want to ride quickly! Sometimes it's nice to just cruise along with friends - which incidentally is what I'm doing on Friday evening. We're riding from Crawley to Freo and having a meal there. These are mountain bikers out for a road-ride .....

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:27 pm

You could try this route
Perth-to-Freo in bikely
Its secenic and reasonably safe. Most oft the road sections have a bikepath nearby.
Les

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:17 pm

Pushy wrote:You could try this route
Perth-to-Freo in bikely
Its secenic and reasonably safe. Most oft the road sections have a bikepath nearby.
Les
Which route Les? I have seen the one Graham mentioned but it does not cover the critical "get out of the city alive" section.

Regards
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:19 am

Copy "Perth-to-Freo" and paste it into the search bar on Bikely.com. The route Les is referring to is the first one that comes up (I can't paste a link to it from this dinosaur computer. At least, I don't think I can: try this.)

Riding on city streets is actually much easier than you think, provided you don't try to be any quicker than a car. Everybody travels slowly out of necessity in the CBD, so just take the whole lane, sit behind one car and follow all the road rules as if you were driving a car. Don't try to split lanes or scoot around the outside of traffic cues. Don't let cars squeeze past on the right and don't ride in the door zone and you'll find riding in the CBD less stressful than an arterial road in the suburbs. Honestly, it's only half a dozen blocks from Wellington St to the Esplanade: it will be over in less than five minutes. However, if it worries you too much, walk it!

I'll try to get onto bikely tomorrow and post my own route to get out of the city from Wellington St for you. Both ways ....

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:10 am

Thanks for posting that Graeme, I'm not alloewd to post URLs at the moment.

Andrew the first bit thro the CBD is road, take Graeme's advice and you should be fine. That route along the river should only take you 1.5hours at the most and thats at a very gentle pace.

Les

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:51 am

Andrew,

Here's the route through Subi from Perth to Freo. From Wellington St, you'll have minimal road riding (zoom in on the Perth end to see where the bike path is).

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:59 am

And here's the route to the Narrows. Once you get to George St along Wellington, you're on a bike path the rest of the way. Easy .....

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks Pushy and Graham for your help. Much appreciated. I think I will take the Subiaco option this time and keep the other ride for another trip out to Applecross coming up.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:13 pm

G'day

An update. Did the city to Subi to West Coast Highway to Freo run this afternoon. Sweet, fairly quick ride. Missed the crossing to Stubbs Terrace as the bike path is closed at present, otherwise a good ride. Fair bit of traffic after Stubbs Terrace.

Thanks for help. I will add this into my Freo mix.

Andrew

Lonebiker

Postby Lonebiker » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:55 am

Hi Australians :-)

I'm from Denmark, Europe

I'm comming down to you corner of the world in late March 2008. I have a mission

Sorry i'm not allowed to post links yet but you will find my homepage if you seek Erik Straarup or lonebiker

and will have to bike from the Swann Bell tower through Cottesloe and the south following the coast more or less. My biggest consern is of course the first 20-30 km.

Graeme wrote:
Here's the route through Subi from Perth to Freo. From Wellington St, you'll have minimal road riding (zoom in on the Perth end to see where the bike path is).

Is this bikepath all the way? and how do I best hit the path from the bell tower? It sure looks like the way to go for me :-)

Cheers
Erik

Lonebiker

Postby Lonebiker » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:12 am

ok, found out to add my www at the bottum, sorry

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:17 am

G'day Erik,

Thanks for dropping in on us. If you're on a mission, we're here to help! :) Looks like quite a trip you've got in mind there. Good luck with it.

It's not bike path all the way, but the roads you'll need to ride on are not difficult to negotiate by bike. From memory, they mostly have bike lanes marked or are not used by much traffic. I'd actually be more concerned about the roads beyond the first 30km than the ones between Perth and Fremantle, to tell you the truth.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

cray-

Postby cray- » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:28 pm

Anyone object to me posting a digital copy of the Perth bike path map? I have a large format scanner at work that'll do it with ease. I know they cost a few bucks to buy....hhrrmmm....opinions?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:32 pm

It'll be too big to show here. And why bother? You can get it for free directly from the govt. site. (I'll go and find the links in a sec.)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:34 pm

---------------------

cray-

Postby cray- » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Well the plan was to post a link to a pdf or something. The bike shop guy claimed there was no digital version available and urged me to grab the paper one ASAP as they don't get printed very regular and get snapped up fast. Was he just pulling my leg?

[/me checks link]

Aparently yes. Well in that case I'll just take these PDF's to work and print them out on one of our large format printers. [I work in the large format section of a print company as a graphic designer. I have lot's of cool toys to play with...hihihihihi].

Cheers Kalgrm!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:40 pm

Cray-,

No he wasn't pulling your leg. He was "selling you a map". ;)

Erik,

Does the route specify the coastal route? If not, you can avoid nearly all the city traffic by heading south along the river on the Kwinana Fwy bike path. You can ride for about 45km without encountering any traffic (except one road crossing) and end up near the same place.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Lonebiker

Postby Lonebiker » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:08 am

Hej Graeme

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, the route MUST pass cottesloe, otherwise I would have taken the freeway bike path as I did last year.

I will print out your route and follow it the best I can :-)

I have read somewhere that the stirling highway is very dangerous, so your suggestion sound much better.

Cheers

Erik