When and what to eat?

No eue deer

When and what to eat?

Postby No eue deer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:00 am

G'day,

I ride (mainly to lose weight at this stage) in the morning, before it gets too hot. But I dont eat before I ride.i get up at 6am, and ride at, say, 6:30 thru to 7:10. Then I eat porridge and sultanas. Then go to the office. (Where I bludge) for 8 hours.
Do you think this will work? I really dont want to get up any earlier,as it'd be dark.I go to work at 8am.
How should I be eating?

Thanks fellas,
Mark
Thats supposed to be No EYE deer. D'oh..... How the hell did I do that?

JV911

Re: When and what to eat?

Postby JV911 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 am

personally i'd be eating before (and after) riding, but each to his own.

no need to get up any earlier - you'll get used to eating and riding with a bit of practice.

people's eating habits discussed here
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:28 pm

It is best to have something to eat, before the ride, as this kicks off your metabolism for the day. :idea:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:03 pm

foo on patrol wrote:It is best to have something to eat, before the ride, as this kicks off your metabolism for the day. :idea:
Hi

In an article at BikeRadar.com it was suggested 1/2 a glass of low fat milk was sufficient to do this and it then allowed the body to use stored fat (?) for energy. That is breakfast to be had after the ride.

Regards
Andrew

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Aushiker wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:It is best to have something to eat, before the ride, as this kicks off your metabolism for the day. :idea:
Hi

In an article at BikeRadar.com it was suggested 1/2 a glass of low fat milk was sufficient to do this and it then allowed the body to use stored fat (?) for energy. That is breakfast to be had after the ride.

Regards
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I can't argue on that point, as I am going on what most nutritionist say! :) I know I don't function very well on a half a glass of milk. :?

Gary
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Loosing weight is all about puting in less calories than you use. You are only riding for 40 minutes so eating before is not essential just eat straight after your ride. Getting back to the reason you are riding loosing weight. I'd get a whole lot more scientific about how much energy you use and how much you need! Then work out an eating and exercise plan. Go here to have a look http://www.calorieking.com.au/ The book is great and has every thing you need but it does take time and effort.

MM

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:14 pm

JV911 wrote:personally i'd be eating before (and after) riding, but each to his own.
I'd keep it to a minimum before riding, especially if riding for fat loss. If you eat anything with a significant amount of carbohydrate, the body will release insulin in response, and insulin prevents the body from burning fat as fuel.
[Citation needed]
- Dave

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:
[Citation needed]
Hi

I read about this suggestion in a BikeRadar.com article. You can find it here.

Andrew

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Uhhh, but that article says the complete opposite. :wink:

"But a carbohydrate meal 30 to 90 minutes before your ride will greatly turn down your fat burning engine, switching you to burn more carbohydrates.

Have breakfast after the ride then, and if you're going for over 2 hours eat breakfast on the bike in the form of regular carbohydrate foods - about 40 to 60g per hour."
- Dave