Commuting Etiquette

2wheels

Commuting Etiquette

Postby 2wheels » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Just want some views on this. During my commute home, drafted a fellow rider who got annoyed for drafting him too long. I pulled up beside him and apologised, saying I was a feeling tired (I was actually ill) and not up to overtaking. He had a little whinge and pulled off, asking me to "do my own work". OK, I let that pass. If I was in the same situation, I would pull aside (this was on a bike path where you can pull aside and let others pass) if I could not keep the pace. A week later, I caught up to the same rider at the lights - and he goes "you following again?" And starts ranting on about me not doing any work. I ask him what his problem was and told him that if he doesn't want to pull, to move aside, at which point more snide comments about not doing work, or being too slow or some other gibberish came out of his mouth. I race on weekends so drafting is a fact of life for me - how do I know when to draft on a commute? While I've got your attention, I might as well open up the floor to a discussion on general commuting etiquette - why is it that some idiots take unnecessary risks to beat you at junctions by weaving in and out of traffic? Why don't they just take out a racing license and race in controlled environments rather than doing it on the road at peak hour? If you ride competitively (on weekends or otherwise), do you still feel the need to race during your commute, taking chances through traffic? I certainly don't.

il padrone

Re: Commuting Etiquette

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:36 pm

The guy is a guaranteed pratt!

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Slipstreaming is covered in depth in the thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12811

Not sure about people racing on the commute, I see some folks try to give it a go up hills or on long sections into headwinds, it's fun to keep pace once in a while. I've decided I don't mind someone riding my wheel on normal days, but on days when I'm tired and there is a 40km headwind, I really find it annoying.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 am

il padrone wrote:The guy is a guaranteed pratt!

+10

what a squeezer
inflammatory statement or idea

franjae

Postby franjae » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:08 pm

I don't take any notice of this "rule". If you think I'm dragging you back, lose me or ride really slow so I'll overtake you.

With a strong headwind, I doubt I'll get any advantage being behind somebody. Too hard to measure, so how would one know? Besides, I have to put up with their BO, so is that an advantage?? :mrgreen:

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 pm

The guy you met sounds like a bit of a tool.

But... jumping on someone's wheel without asking if they mind you drafting is pretty poor form as well IMO. Adequately discussed in the thread rearviewmirror linked so no need to repeat the debate here ;) but suffice to say that what you said below is exactly how I feel about people who jump on my wheel when I'm commuting...
2wheels wrote:Why don't they just take out a racing license and race in controlled environments rather than doing it on the road at peak hour? If you ride competitively (on weekends or otherwise), do you still feel the need to race during your commute, taking chances through traffic? I certainly don't.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

looklost

Postby looklost » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:23 pm

il padrone wrote:The guy is a guaranteed pratt!

+10 but wrong end

cam

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:10 am

rearviewmirror wrote:Not sure about people racing on the commute, I see some folks try to give it a go up hills or on long sections into headwinds, it's fun to keep pace once in a while. I've decided I don't mind someone riding my wheel on normal days, but on days when I'm tired and there is a 40km headwind, I really find it annoying.
Hi

That is pretty much how I feel too.

Andrew

2wheels

Postby 2wheels » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks for the responses everyone - at least I have an idea now of how people feel about slipstreaming during commutes. My policy will now be to avoid drafting anyone for too long and to overtake if I can, but if I can't then to drop back a few lengths. I personally don't mind people drafting me - it used to bug me a little when I first started riding, but not any more. But I would never kick up a stink if someone did, especially if they weren't intent on "pipping me at the line". What still bugs me though is that this guy was still giving me grief a week later and just assumed I was wheel sucking him when I got to him at the lights and whining like a little girl, this is after I had apologised the week before and giving my reasons for following him.

318ute

Postby 318ute » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:47 am

This is similar to quite a few threads that always seem to have some underlying commonality! :!:
What or where are the rules laid down for how we should all cycle on public roads?
Other road users have a set of rules we are supposed to ride to, but that is often blurred by how we are treated by other road users including other cyclists?
To get onto the roads behind the wheel of a motor vehicle we have to pass a test & I know we could argue the merits and outcomes of that process but what of a cyclist?
Go to the shop or wherever, buy a bike and off you go, no idea of rules, courtesy, ettiquette or consideration for anyone else..
In the cycling ranks there are as we are all aware the sub groups, commuters, racers, fixie's, couriers, mtb's, ninja's etc etc etc and it appears all ride to the beat of an individual drum. :roll:

Not having a go or trying to cause a drama, I have been reading this forum as my source forum and note as cyclists we seem to have issues, or is it just a reflection of where society is at today? :shock:
Last edited by 318ute on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve.

Merida 905, Giant Xtc2, Trek 3900

m@

Postby m@ » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:01 am

318ute wrote: Not having a go or trying to cause a drama, I have been reading this forum as my source forum and note as cyclists we seem to issues, or is it just a reflection of where society is at today? :shock:
Without getting too philosophical, I'd say it's a reflection of human society full stop... Nothing special about us in that respect ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

318ute

Postby 318ute » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:22 am

m@,
I think it is the society today and not sure if this is the right or wrong approach but I just try to treat others as I hope to be treated including how I ride. :)
Steve.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:12 am

318ute wrote:What or where are the rules laid down for how we should all cycle on public roads?
Hi

Well in WA they are called the Road Traffic Code 2000 which are regulations and the overriding body of the legislation is called the Road Traffic Act 1974. Same source of legislation/regulations as applying to all users of public roads.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

318ute

Postby 318ute » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi Andrew,
Yes I think most of us are aware of the road rules in some shape or form and I accept we all seem to have minor differences in each state.
I guess I am looking at the issues raised on the forum e.g. tailgating(drafting), overtaking, slowing down passing peds, passing on the right handside only, bell or voice warning etc etc...
From the last 18months-2years on and off commuting, it appears a little like a free for all.
On this forum I have read discussions about riding through red lights, claiming the lane at intersections and roundabouts etc, overtaking, passing peds, pulling etc etc and the diversity of opinion is to say the least very confussing.
Even something like riding up to a set of lights, I note the varied positioning of cyclists, some stay behind a car, others pull up to the front or sit between cars.
Just wondering if there is a Newbies Guide to Cycling on the Roads and the merits of such a guide as this forum clearly displays differring opinion between the cycling fraternity .

My personal approach is to follow the roads rules to the best of my knowledge, keep left but by the same token be seen and take the lane if there are parked cars or I am entering an intersection/roundabout.
Also I simply avoid some roads at certain times because it's simply tempting fate. :roll:
Last edited by 318ute on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve.

2wheels

Postby 2wheels » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:33 pm

318ute, I think your points are all very valid and I wish people in positions of authority in this country or in each state would seriously consider suggestions such as yours. We really need to have better established rules (on and off road) for cyclists and better education for cyclists, motorists and pedestrians alike. There really should be rules regarding slipstreaming, how and when to overtake, responsibility in pointing out obstacles to others, etc, in a handbook that is handed out with every bike sale.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:41 pm

I don't get concerned about someone else sucking my wheel, unless I think they are trying to race me. After all I'm pretty much getting the same workout, its the person sucking my wheel who isn't getting the same workout.

If I wanted the wheel sucker to do some work, I'd simply pull out and let him/her overtake me.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

2wheels

Postby 2wheels » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:19 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I don't get concerned about someone else sucking my wheel, unless I think they are trying to race me. After all I'm pretty much getting the same workout, its the person sucking my wheel who isn't getting the same workout.

If I wanted the wheel sucker to do some work, I'd simply pull out and let him/her overtake me.
This is very similar to my approach - if I know someone is sitting on my wheel and I'm tired of keeping pace, I pull over. There really should be some sort of hand signal for this, so that we avoid unintended racing challenges.

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:32 pm

yeah I'm not too fussed if someone sucks my wheel. good luck if they can keep up, and as Mikesbytes says, they're cheating themselves out of the exercise.

In a strong headwind over a decent distance, you should discuss with the fellow riders if you can to help each other, common sense really.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

mianos

Postby mianos » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:15 pm

There is usually such a wide range of skills so I don't think there are any 100% correct rules in this situation.
For me:
What does it matter? Someone hanging off the back does not slow you down. Technically it offers you a small advantage. As hard to believe as it is, the front rider gets a small speed break because you have a combined longer aerodynamic body.
If I get tired on the front I sometimes ask the other guy if he wants a go. If not I just slow a little as I would if I was riding by myself.
If Mr Jackass, I am assuming that's his name from the photo posted above, does not like it he can always put the pedals down and ride away off the front.
If I am out riding by myself I can go as slow or fast as I like.
When I am in Europe and some pro comes thundering past I just try and hang on. I'd be daft if I thought I could even take a turn without slowing him. I'd also be a PIA if I did try and go up front and slow him down.
When some guy wants to have a go on the front after a while at the back and he's too slow, I just ride around him and keep on going, that's about the only reason I might upset someone in that situation.
The only 100% rule is:
Try to be polite.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 am

i have the opposite problem.

i commute on my MTB, but i like to give it a go in the interests of maintaining fitness levels. i rarely draft, but often i overtake road riders who are cruising a bit but who don't seem to like being overtaken by an MTB rider. what drives me nuts is when they sprint back past, then commence cruising again.

honestly, could you a bigger knob? it's amazing the number of people who do this.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:06 am

Sometimes I encourage others to suck my wheel, slowing when they loose it to allow them to get back on and telling them to let me know if I need to slow a little for them.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:35 am

Hey Mike, do you do this upon request:)? I need someone to draft on my early morning outings!

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 am

jules21 wrote:i have the opposite problem.

i commute on my MTB, but i like to give it a go in the interests of maintaining fitness levels. i rarely draft, but often i overtake road riders who are cruising a bit but who don't seem to like being overtaken by an MTB rider. what drives me nuts is when they sprint back past, then commence cruising again.

honestly, could you a bigger knob? it's amazing the number of people who do this.
yeah I've seen this happen, a RB gets over taken by an MTB, and then the person on the RB reacts because no-one on a MTB can go faster than RB, so they clunk down a gear, and do exactly what jules described. Very weird behavior.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 am

jules21 wrote:i have the opposite problem.

Hi

I have the opposite problem ... knobs on MTB who think they can out ride me on a roadie and who sprint past and then bonk ... give it a break guys :) :mrgreen:

Andrew

damonik

Postby damonik » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:47 am

If someone drafts me I'll do my best to try to lose them for a couple of minutes, if I can't - well they've earned the right to be back there so.

Works well for me, gives me a couple of minutes of frantic smashing of the pedals, helps my fitness and that's why we ride right? :)
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)