Be back soon I hope.

leximack

Re: 2010 Race Report Thread

Postby leximack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:29 pm

zozza wrote:Hey Hebden, :D

Dont know about Lexi but as for myself I'm trying to get race ready,

Be back soon I hope.
Hi Hebden,

i find it hard to get to the Monday night race, just not enough time from my work
Have only done one race this year, last sunday at WSID
i hope to do more races, mainly the sunday morning the waratahs run.
Currently C grade but plan to go to B in April.

Don

Zujan

Postby Zujan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:34 pm

ft_critical wrote:WSID A Grade

Bit of an underperformer of late I am afraid, however, we have to post the bad and the good.

So as I waited for the start I cycled though the functions on my Cateye Computer to zero the distance. I looked at the Odometer, 16,666. :shock: :shock: God's truth that was the reading. It made me feel really uneasy.
So, first run in A grade. The pace is about 2kmh faster than B, which is not a big jump. There are two A grades anyway, the ES and PM A grade and the one I was riding in. Race plan was to practice doing nothing.

Race plan, FAIL. :roll: I did a lot of work on the front. I actually did a full lap and a half in the lead just before the PRIME. PM went with one other just after this. Then ES went, I tried to hold his wheel but I had missed the move and I could, unsurprisingly, not hold his speed. So he bridged maybe 400m, I made it to within 100m of them; maybe it was more. I was at 95% of my maximum. I don't know if this was the correct decision, but the logic was; I might, might :?: , have been able to bridge that last 100m if I went to 100%. But when I got there I would be killed if they decided they didn't want a non Penrith joiner and dropped the hammer. So, the Bunch were 250m back. I sat up. Right-wrong, don't know I am still too inexperienced a racer I guess.

After 1hr and 30min exactly, feeling good, still working on the front often – ANOTHER PUNCTURE. I found some green glass so it was not the previous problem from the rim side. I was disappointed but I was glad I could run in A grade (well the second bunch of them) without any trouble.

On the shake my head side, there were about 6 cycling coaches out there "move up rider x," "close the gap," "come through," etc. Lot's of talk and very few people who would roll turns or who seemed to know how to roll. Really disorganised. Bit disappointed in that really. Everyone saving themselves for the sprint for 4th place - seriously, what is the point? If you are ever going to be with ES and co, you have to improve, not practice your sitting in. :roll:

Stats: Avg 39.45kmh for the 1:30 I rode, Max HR 186, Avg 167, max speed was 57.3.

Lesson Learned. Check your tyres before you race - stupid! :oops:
Hey mate,
I was there on Sunday. Which one were you? What bike? Say hello next time....hehee
I’m the tall guy (red jersey ) on Cervelo S2
Ye it is hard to stay on Eddie or Peter wheel, you just cannot let them make gap, not even a half meter.......
S
2011 Cervelo S3/SRAM Red Black/Zipp 404 T,3T Team
2010 Cervelo R3/SRAM Red, 3T Team,Fulcrum Racing 1

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi Sasha,

I remember you. I was in Northern Sydney strip. Not at Waratahs this weekend, but will probably be there the next one. I am sure I said hi here:

http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/744%2 ... 11_thm.htm

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:34 pm

ft_critical wrote:Hi Sasha,

I remember you. I was in Northern Sydney strip. Not at Waratahs this weekend, but will probably be there the next one. I am sure I said hi here:

http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/744%2 ... 11_thm.htm
I'd recongise that face anywhere

Sasha,
Have you been doing any of the NSW Masters track championships?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Zujan

Postby Zujan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Ye, I thought so......aha, you did fair bit of a work and also guy on green Cannondale did huge amount, and few others helped here and there, but the rest......well.......anyway, you had good race mate!
I mean we could stay with Salas and Milostic only if could organize half a dozen people, who know how to roll, and willing to do so....and if you doing it properly with short turns I do not think that even those two can do runner on flat course such is a dragway.
But that will be different story at EC raceway, where they could easily break us all on those two small but nasty hills.....
He, there is always next week.....

Zujan

Postby Zujan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Hey Mike,
No I havent so far....will do only individul pursuit on Sunday!
S

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Zujan wrote:only if could organize half a dozen people, who know how to roll, and willing to do so
It's been tried before, and what you end up with is 6-8 people draging around the rest of the hubbards, who wouldn't pull a turn if their life depended on it.

The only way you're going to be close to Eddie and Peter is to go with them during the break.

But if you're left with the main group once the break has been made, then best of luck to you trying to organise the chase.

I ALWAYS do my turn, but when there's no one rolling through after you I think "Why bother"

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 am

Zujan wrote:Ye, I thought so......aha, you did fair bit of a work and also guy on green Cannondale did huge amount, and few others helped here and there, but the rest......well.......anyway, you had good race mate!
I mean we could stay with Salas and Milostic only if could organize half a dozen people, who know how to roll, and willing to do so....and if you doing it properly with short turns I do not think that even those two can do runner on flat course such is a dragway.
But that will be different story at EC raceway, where they could easily break us all on those two small but nasty hills.....
He, there is always next week.....

Goodluck to that idea. Even with the handicap Penrith Championships I have seen them other A graders try that......somehow i doubt that it would work but its worth a try!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philip

Postby philip » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Beauie this morning - big B grade group, first couple of laps everyone was mucking around going slow so I went in a 3 man breakaway in about the 3rd lap. A suicidal attempt but wanted to at least get the legs going. We lasted about a lap I think, which for beauie is about as good as it gets. After that I was at the back for a few laps, I took quite a while to recover. Rolled around for another 30 minutes with nothing interesting happening and got into what I thought was a great position for the sprint, 4th wheel - but then with a couple of hundred metres to go the front 2 guys started stuffing around, so guys started rolling past me on both sides, I was boxed in and had nowhere to go, rolled over probably about 8th. Oh well. A bit frustrating that these crits *always* come down to the sprint where half of it is luck!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:40 pm

philip wrote:A bit frustrating that these crits *always* come down to the sprint where half of it is luck!
Seems that way, but Daniel who won today manages to get himself in a position to win on a very regular basis. I am still learning positioning, but I am getting a lot better at getting to where I want to be these days.

I looked for you, but I guess I wasn't sure who you were. Were you in NSCC Strip today?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:13 pm

NSCC Beaumont Rd
Cool 16deg. Large field 40+
Race plan: try to stay in mid field to 10th wheel and then go for the win.

Race was pretty fast to begin with, well after Philip's break it was. There were a few attacks that lasted a lap or two.
Not much to report as I was just a mid-field wheel suck. I tried to ride a DHBC guy off the wheel to my left. We were so close our arm hairs were touching. He was way to track-savvy to move an inch. Two DHBC guys made the trek, both really nice guys. There were some CCCC, some Parramatta riders, two from Peleton.

2 laps to go. Moved up the inside aggressively to about 10th. But this puts you into the box. Anyway, around the top turn I managed to move to the outside, all I need is half a wheel length hole. Then I sat in the block against the centre line (no crossing rule in place.) I figured the DHBC boys being from the track would be nice fast wheels to follow or the Moit brothers. 500 to go and I saw the Moits go on the left hard, but I waited for my line to move. As it opened out there were three lines and mine was going slowest. A DHBC guy dropped the wheel in front, I figured this was the sign. I rode around him and picked up a brief tow from the line of maybe 10 guys in front and then with 250m to the line I went for the drive. I got to fourth wheel and then stood for the sprint. I could not quite get over the top of Daniel Moit – timing was off by half a wheel on the line, but I was carrying the greater speed. I did a bit of a pathetic lunge which I knew would make no difference before I even started it and was second. 63kmh on the line, which was not that fast really.
To be honest, not that satisfying as I did nothing all race. Mind you neither had Daniel.

Stats: Max HR 198 (I wonder if that is true 'cause I have my max as 189?) avg HR 157 (showing what a wheels suck I was) and Avg speed for the 54min was 38.8.
I know Mike will read this, so the DHBC boys have the problem that they are a bit unused to GEARS LOL, which means they get there sprints a bit wrong.

philip

Postby philip » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:51 pm

ft_critical wrote:
philip wrote:A bit frustrating that these crits *always* come down to the sprint where half of it is luck!
Seems that way, but Daniel who won today manages to get himself in a position to win on a very regular basis. I am still learning positioning, but I am getting a lot better at getting to where I want to be these days.
Yeah you're probably right - just today I thought I was in a good position but it ended up not to be. I guess it helps to know who's who, I don't know any others other than a few mates.
ft_critical wrote: I looked for you, but I guess I wasn't sure who you were. Were you in NSCC Strip today?
Yep NSCC kit, red/white trek, I had a cycling cap on backwards underneath my helmet, otherwise I think I look pretty generic :)
ft_critical wrote:and was second
Nice one! I was in a hurry to leave so didn't hang around for the prize giving, so still don't know who you are either :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:03 am

ft_critical wrote:I know Mike will read this, so the DHBC boys have the problem that they are a bit unused to GEARS LOL, which means they get there sprints a bit wrong.
http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1702
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:48 am

Date: 13/3/2010
Event: LACC Crit
Grade: C
Time: 35min +3 laps

A field of 22 lined up in gusty conditions at SOP on saturday arvo. Pace was sedate for the 1st two laps and on lap three started to ramp up. Did a couple of turns on the front in the early part of the race before dropping back to mid field. Pace was brisk but yo-yoing a lot and I ended up with a stitch (always struggle with what to have for lunch before afternoon races). We caught D grade when they had two laps to go but for some reason guys at the front backed off allowing D grade to pass again on their bell lap, but at least it gave me a chance to get my breath and work my way back to the front. We got the whistle with what I thought was two laps to go and was sitting pretty in 4th. To my surprise the next time around we got a "2 lap to go" call... when I was expecting the bell. Tried to hold on but didnt have it in me. Finished 8th or so

Time: 44:57
Distance: 28.01km
Av Speed: 37.4km/h
Max Speed: 50.6km/h
Av Cadence: 95
Max Cadence: 120
Rating: "meh"
Last edited by JV911 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:49 am

Date: 14/3/2010
Event: Waratah Crit
Grade: C
Time: 55min +1 laps

A field of 17 lined up on a perfect autumn morning. Track was damp from overnight rain so the 1st two laps were cautious. Found myself on the front on lap three and proceeded to swap turns for a few laps with three other guys. Then the attacks came with three or four riders getting away on occasion but they were chased down each time. Around the 20 min mark we had the prime which I told myself I wasn’t going to contest but four riders ended up getting 50m on the field. I put my head down and overtook a couple of riders and successfully closed down the breakaway :mrgreen: . I was hoping we could make the breakaway stick but the pace slowed a little the following lap and the field regrouped. There were several more attempted breakaways but none successful. Despite only having six hours sleep and finger food for dinner at an engagement party I was feeling really good, actually heaps better than the previous day, so after doing a full lap on the front I put the hammer down out of the last corner to test the field, getting a good few metres on them in the process. I knew I wasn’t going to make it stick so allowed the field to catch up down the straight and settled in mid-field. At the 50 min mark I made my way back to the front few and found myself and another guy on the front side by side going into the bell lap. On the back straight we were caught napping with an early last-lap attack and several riders got passed. At this point I heard the unmistakable sound of carbon on concrete behind me and was in two minds whether to sit up or keep going…I kept going but was 8th going into the last corner. Made up two places down the home straight but the guys who’d made that attack were just too far in front. Finished 6th by my reckoning.

Cruised the warm-down lap and found a rider on the deck surrounded by a few other riders. Medical assistance was promptly on the scene. I believe he was ok, minus a bit of bark, as I saw him standing later on. Apparently he’d clipped the concrete wall before the roundabout where two lanes merge into one.

Summary – probably the best race I’ve had to date. Did some work on the front, chased down a couple of breakaways and made an attempted breakaway of my own. Didn't win but was very satisfying...Loved every minute of it :D

Time: 57:50
Distance: 36.4km
Av Speed: 37.7km/h
Max Speed: 48.8km/h
Av Cadence: 92
Max Cadence: 115
Rating: "awesome"
Last edited by JV911 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:05 am

ft_critical wrote:63kmh on the line, which was not that fast really.
not fast?!?! :shock:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:08 am

JV911 wrote:
ft_critical wrote:63kmh on the line, which was not that fast really.
not fast?!?! :shock:
Mike's boys do motor pacing for 50min at 65kmh, so it is all relative I suppose.

Well done on the race. I know just where that crash happened, it is a bit dangerous if you try to ride through on the inside 4 wide.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:28 am

ft_critical wrote:it is a bit dangerous if you try to ride through on the inside 4 wide.
i think that's exactly what happened as me and another guy (the well built dude on the cervelo S2 with easton wheels) were already side by side then there was the attack on our left.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Beaumont Rd, C Grade 14 March 2010. 35 mins plus two laps (actually 31-32 mins plus two laps, for 8 laps total).

Aim was to finish well up after getting second to Mike from Dulwich Hill 2 weeks earlier and finsihing with the bunch, at best, in 2009.

Big bunch of 25 or so. That included 4 D-Graders, who ran with us due to lack of numbers. Interestingly, at least two of the D Graders held on without obvious difficulty. A Grade were going super fast, they lapped us on about our third or fourth lap. Anyway...

Start was slow, it always is a tootle the first half lap. Did a few efforts up the hill from the far corner in the first few laps. But the bunch hardly whittled at all, so I stopped that. A female rider from Central Coast got away for a couple of laps in the middle of the race. Some bloke in what looked like a blue sawnoff parka without a number came past the bunch and was riding with her, no one could work out if he was in our race or not (not, I think). Anyway, I didn't see him really helping her, and it didn't matter either way, because the bunch was all together by the 25 min mark. Overall, I reckon there were fewer attacks than usual, although the pace was generally consistent with other occasions I have ridden C Grade there.

I went to the back for a rest towards the end, never a good idea. It's so hard to get up the front at Beaumont. Anyway, the bunch was sticking together at the end, slow into the hairpins, medium to hard but not full effort out of them. On the last lap I made up some ground up the centre of the road, close to the centre line. My recollection of the run to the line is that a couple of (Central Coast?) blokes were really putting the hammer down from near the top of the "hill" about 1 km out. Some riders started to fade, but not the first few. I was out in the wind but still far from the front by 500 m to go (no wheels to sit on! or at least none where I was), and basically already full effort. Anyway, a few others faded as the front three inched further and further away. Ended up sixth, maybe 20 m back. A strong bloke in a white jersey won the race, a Peloton Sports rider got third.

The finish, slight downhill for basically the last km, means that the sprint can get wound up from miles out. If that happens you have no chance coming from anywhere back. You have to be within 10 m of the front from where it settles out of that bottom corner, and hope that those in front of you are interested in going for it. I've seen real front runners go from miles out and just about hold on (and certainly get a place). I've also seen riders near the front simply not respond to the pace increase on the last lap - so you don't want to be stuck behind them.

Next race: West Head on Sunday 21st.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:52 pm

rogan wrote:That included 4 D-Graders, who ran with us due to lack of numbers.
there were a few B graders with us on saturday and not due to any lack of numbers. still haven't figured out why...didnt get a chance to ask the commish
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

rogan

Postby rogan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:18 pm

West Head, Sunday 21 March 2010, C Grade. 2 laps of the WH Course, ~41 km. Manly Warringah CC Race.

So, did my first road race since the 1993 Canberra Milk Race. Started with ~25 riders. First lap was very cruisy for about 2 km and thereafter fast, I did a few efforts up the hills, just to see. Were about 17 left after that first lap. There was one bloke, attacking all the time on the first lap. He was still going at the start of the second lap, but got jack of it and at one point couldn't work out how to get off the front. Stop pedalling works, I find... Better than braking at the front of the bunch... Anyway, he was paying for his efforts after that (as was I). I saw him at the back a lot.

We lost another 3 in a crash coming off the downhill from the wall on the second lap, still heading out, just before the turnaround. Two came off (both Bicisport) and another DH rider was very close to an off. We must have been doing close to 50 km/h, but I don't think there were bad injuries. I told my wife about it later - she asked whether we stop racing when riders fall off. Umm, no... Anyway we were down to about 14. I was feeling it by this stage, too much effort too early. Or more work required. Or something. Anyway, the way back on the last lap I was tailing off a bit up the hills (count em, 5) and getting back on down the hills. The pace picked up up the false flat in the last 5 km. I was at the stage where I was happy to finish with the bunch, forget about sprinting, it ain't happening. A DH rider got away just before the last turnaround, and stayed away (despite pulling his foot AT the turnaround). My riding buddy Darren made a break for it and got pipped for second, on the line. The uphill finish - 500 m all uphill from the turnaround - is deadly. He said he was finished for the day with still 100m to go.

Actually the gaps in that sprint can be huge. Racing theory suggests you get to the bottom turn at the front and go for it. Maybe, if you've got the legs. But 500m uphill is well beyond anyone's real sprint in a club C grade race. With the gaps opening up the way they do, it's all about who's got the legs for a 90% effort, rather than who got round the turn in the front 2 or 3. Frankly, from where I was sitting, it didn't even look like a normal sprint. It looked like the 4 or 5 guys who felt like it putting in efforts, and everyone else sitting up. There was no jockeying for wheels etc that I could see. Interesting. Maybe I was too far back...

I just rolled in... back of a 13 or 14 man bunch (spread out over 100 m or more). Average just over 35. Much harder workout than averaging 36 at Beaumont.

A special word for another riding buddy, Paul, who hadn't raced for 6.5 years, rocked up and rode A Grade. And stayed with the bunch (it looked to me like many didn't - they finished with less than 10 in the peloton). A Grade averaged over 39 km/h. He averaged a HR of 174 over the 1h30+min race. Ouch. In his words, he was glad when the 3-man break got clear away after 2.5 laps, because at least the bunch steadied up a bit.

Next race: maybe Heffron on 27 March. Otherwise Beaumont Rd on Easter Monday.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Crash Report. Landsdowne A Grade.

First ride at Landsdowne, second in the Prime to the eventual winner. Love that circuit as the powerclimbs really suit me.

Towards the end the bunch was getting lazy. I closed to the Parra rider fast to ensure I didn't tow the bunch. See the Ernie photos for that. I must have half-wheeled, I turned to check the bunch. Zzzzzz, bang. I took myself out of the race.
Such a basic rule. Don't half wheel. One of the first things you learn on a group ride.

They guy from Parramatta told me he looked down at his speedo and we were doing 48kmh.

Damage. Well skin off shoulder to ankle. Damaged AC clavical but miracle no broken collar bone. Cracked helmet. To be honest, I am feeling pretty sore and sorry for myself.
Bike is fine - that is amazing.

Sasha... Huge lap and a half pull to drag back a break. Well done, but roll off...

Well done to FPR too. I saw Ehly pulling a the front just before we warmed up. Time to stop burgling.... :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Ouch!...yup silly mistake but we all do it and usually get away with it.Heal up quick.

Zujan

Postby Zujan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey mate, I saw you going down hard........and I mean it, you hit the deck very hard..........hope you are OK.
At first you confused me by Colnago, week earlier you were on different bike.....so there is bike galore hahaaaa
Mate, you riding these races pretty good, you are always within first 5,6 wheels, looks like you know your stuff, good racing...
I’ve started racing in July 09. And after two wins in B grade (in Lansdowne by solo breakaway) they put me in A grade so I’m still learning big time.....and on Sunday I was very angry with myself bcs break occurred while I was mid field, and if I was where you were maybe I could stick with that break...but hey, still time to learn........
Well as in regards to ‘roll off’’.........eventually I may learn how to race (save legs) one day hahha