Mt Cootha Challenge & CLEM7 ride

Fatrobo

Re: Mt Cootha Challenge & CLEM7 ride

Postby Fatrobo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Did anyone find the ride down Mount Cootha extremley dissapointing? Mostly considering we didn't go over the top and also when they sectioned you off down that back road which was horrible to ride on. Pot holes, ruts, gravel and all sorts of bumps? I'm guessing there must have been a reason for that detour?

Otherwise really enjoyed the ride! I think I will be including some cootha climbs in my morning rides more often now!

brockie2

Postby brockie2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Fatrobo wrote:Did anyone find the ride down Mount Cootha extremley dissapointing? Mostly considering we didn't go over the top and also when they sectioned you off down that back road which was horrible to ride on. Pot holes, ruts, gravel and all sorts of bumps? I'm guessing there must have been a reason for that detour?

Otherwise really enjoyed the ride! I think I will be including some cootha climbs in my morning rides more often now!
Came across one pump and three water bottles on that stretch of road. Shows you how bumpy it was. Imagine the carnage if somebody came off after hitting on of those lost items, maybe the organisers should consider taking us down the smooth stretch instead. The only other disappointing thing was the Riders Cyclery mechanics not having any chain lube. I was told at the first stop that they only had one bottle of lube and the mobile mechanic had it on the road. Wouldn't expect any more from this lot, very ordinary. :evil: I would have paid for it if they had any. How do they expect to look after 7000 cyclists with 1 bottle of lube. Rode the rest of the way squeaking like a Kmart special. Congrats to all who took part and to the organisers for another great ride.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:49 pm

One thing I noticed in this year's ride was a complete lack of tardery. No plonkers half-wheeling people at the start where we were all bunched up, no silly people passing on the left, only a few dummies riding 3 or 4 abreast, no fools squeezing others off the road. It made for a really, really nice change :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Maybe you were just way out in front of that lot this year, unaware of just how much faster one year and a Canondale has made you.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Max wrote:One thing I noticed in this year's ride was a complete lack of tardery. No plonkers half-wheeling people at the start where we were all bunched up, no silly people passing on the left, only a few dummies riding 3 or 4 abreast, no fools squeezing others off the road. It made for a really, really nice change :D

Max
Hmmm - I did see lots of people undercutting (passing on the left) us while 2 abreast out to Cootha. Got my revenge though....

Sick of the wise-cracking about the Garmin alerts - that's mt heart rate over 160, not alarm time for a coffee!

Did see a guy on a carbon PinaColada ride off into a garden while zoned-out up to Fig Tree Pocket. Hope he was OK.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Max

Postby Max » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:31 am

MG: Perhaps.. though I really do want to believe that there was an overall reduction in tardery :)
ValleyForge wrote:Did see a guy on a carbon PinaColada ride off into a garden while zoned-out up to Fig Tree Pocket. Hope he was OK.
Is it wrong that I chuckled at that? Seriously.. poor dude. I once rode into a rosebush when I was learning to ride (age 7). Staggered away with my legs full of thorns. Ahhhh, good times.

Did anybody see any crashes? I didn't see any, nor any near misses. My mum saw one poor fellow being loaded into an ambulance though. :( I hope he's OK.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

monkeymajik

Postby monkeymajik » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:10 pm

Did see one crash. Heading down to the corso in Yerongpilly sort of area a rider took a corner really wide and rode into the gutter, crashing onto the grass.

caboose

Postby caboose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:49 pm

I seen my boss crash.

Quite funny, I had stopped to wait for him after the climb, and he was so zonked that as he came to a halt he forgot to unclip from his pedals.....

We've all dont it once, we know what happend next tee hee!

AlexPossingham

Postby AlexPossingham » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Hey everyone,

anyone doing the 100 k Mt Cootha Challenge this year? And interested on going on a practice rides with me, I have never ridden it before and would enjoy going with someone my first time, I'm not very fast yet really enjoy cycling,

my average riding speed is around 23 km/h, this on quite flat roads.

http://couldrideallnight.blogspot.com/

this is my blog if anyone wants to follow it

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:20 am

I'm in for this! :mrgreen:

Actually I'm pretty much up for most things that involve pushbikes :shock:

Pile

Postby Pile » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:05 pm

OK, a couple of questions from the realm of the bleeding obvious for most of you (I have just relocated to Brisbane from the city with the bridge, beach and no cycle paths).

Where does the ride start and finish?
Is it done by punters as well as the Saturday am club crit crowd?

Cheers.

Quinns Rocks Roadie

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:55 pm

I used to go over Mt Cootha every Sunday.
I used to go up to the lookout/kiosk, along the ridge past the tv towers, and down the windy stuff to Slaughter Falls.
This direction is much more fun than the route on the Challenge ride.
No stopping, no breaks, just go hard in 69" gear on the climbs. :shock:

Eric.
Newer does not automatically mean betterer.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 am

Pile wrote:OK, a couple of questions from the realm of the bleeding obvious for most of you (I have just relocated to Brisbane from the city with the bridge, beach and no cycle paths).

Where does the ride start and finish?
Is it done by punters as well as the Saturday am club crit crowd?

Cheers.
Starts at Southbank, and last year went via the CLEM7 to go up Mt Cootha anti-clockwise, FIg Tree Pocket, 17 mile rocks and back to Southbank. There was a huge range of riders so ability/fitness isn't a real issue. Details on the BQ site.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:20 am

GASP I note they have a 50 kph limit down the mountain for the event. :?
judged, insulted, gone

heay

Postby heay » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm

notwal wrote:GASP I note they have a 50 kph limit down the mountain for the event. :?
Crap last time I went down I topped out at 103kph. :shock:

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:59 am

Flame me if I'm wrong, but isn't there something about obeying the road rules.....

Speed limit is 50. Policeman says so. Mind you, when we rode past a policeman with a hand-held gun on Coro drive the other morning, we asked him if we were speeding. Coulda sworn he said "f#ck off".