Questionnaire for Bicycle commuters

Erika

Questionnaire for Bicycle commuters

Postby Erika » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 am

Thank you to everyone who completed the first questionnaire on respiratory safety and air pollution! All of your feedback has sparked more and more broader questions! Sorry for a repeat of the first few short questions; these answers are most valuable when comparing the rest of your feedback. If you didn't complete the first questionnaire, not to worry - it would be great to get your feedback on this one!

Thanks again in advance for your prompt response! :)

Erika

1) What Country/City do you live in?

2) What Nationality are you?

3) What age group are you from?

4) What is your occupation?

5) How long have you bicycle commuted for?

6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting?

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog).

8 ) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.)

9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide)

10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting?

11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc)

12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected)

13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting?

14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer?

16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting?

17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products).

18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.)

19) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?

Further comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Nate

Re: Questionnaire for Bicycle commuters

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:41 am

Can you post some details - who are you? who's the study for? whats the aim of the study etc..
some links to prove your credibility would be good also

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:41 pm

+1. Proof of your bona fides is necessary. If you are doing a marketing survey, some sort of recompense to the forum owner for the value you have received from the information obtained is expected.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am

1) Melbourne
2) Australian born & bred. Long in the leg & thick in the head.
3) Age group? Dunno, but I'm 35.
4) Accountant
5) Approx. 9 months.
6) 21.3km/approx. 1 hour depending on weather conditions.
7) Relatively clean.
8 ) No
9) No
10) No
11) Helmet and prescription glasses or sunnies depending on the weather and time of day.
12) No
13) No, only the voices in my head
14) n/a
16) Where's 15? Anyhow, to answer this question, visibility is an important consideration.
17) Lights, brightly coloured bike frame, hi-vis backpack cover
18) Beating my PB. Yes, I suffer from PB anxiety.
19) No
Erika wrote:Further comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated...
As per above, it'd be great if you could tell us what this is about...

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:17 am

1) What Country/City do you live in? Australia, Sydney

2) What Nationality are you? Singaporean passport, Australia for 12 years

3) What age group are you from? between 30 to 40

4) What is your occupation? Engineer, water consultant

5) How long have you bicycle commuted for? 2 years plus going to 3 years I think

6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting? 30km

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). Vague question. I have commuted in all types of environment. Melbourne CBD, Sydney CBD, Country Victoria, Sydney National Park at the moment with clean air

8 ) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.) Yes, which is another reason why I use the route I am currently using

9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide) Off course. I gave up smoking 3 years ago and not going to start again from someone else contribution to Earthly destruction.

10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting? Nope

11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc) Helmet and glasses. Beanie when commuting in subzero temperature.

12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected) Nope

13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting? Are you nuts!! I don't even own an IPOD

14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer? N/A

16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting? Definitely. I need to see where I am going. Of course if you mean if I am concern with how visible I am when I cycle, I prefer to wear brighter clothes and have at least 3 rear tailights which can be seen from a fair distance away and 2 headlights to be visible and for visibility.

17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). As above

18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.) Definitely motorist. Not all motorist incidents are accidents.

19) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection? Nope

Further comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated...
As above. Please state what survey is for. Website or organisation would be great.

J

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm all for filling out a survey.

However, as previously stated, I want to know what this survey is for
2010 BMC SLC01

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:19 pm

From her post on the melbournecyclist forum

I'm a Product Design student In New Zealand and I'm currently looking
into the issue of Respiratory Safety for exercising outdoors in Urban
areas. To find a solution I need to find out as much as possible from
those of you who feel affected/concerned by the issue. I will be
designing a system or product that hopefully appeals to users and
improves respiratory safety and performance but I need to know your
thoughts/wants/needs/don't wants in a product!! If you've got a bit of
time it would be great if you could answer the following survey to help
my research along!

http://www.melbournecyclist.com/forum/t ... -pollution

It is a bit hard to imagine that respiratory safety is a major issue in New Zealand (Australia even)... Perhaps in China, India, US or some other extremely highly populated areas it could be though...

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Chan boy, it is getting pretty bad in Australia. Population going up, more cars on the road, EPA sleeping in some states......if you can't smell it, doesn't mean its not there.

I reckon USEPA is on of the toughest environmental agencies in the world.

J

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:30 pm

hannos wrote:I'm all for filling out a survey.

Hi

Same and I am curious as to why there hasn't be a response in the past 14 days. Makes me wonder if they are even serious about the responses.

Also if it a University project, this is not the way to go about it. There should be a clear ethics statement (and ethics approval given), there should be contact details for the student and the supervisor and so on.

Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:21 am

Aushiker wrote:
hannos wrote:I'm all for filling out a survey.

Hi

Same and I am curious as to why there hasn't be a response in the past 14 days. Makes me wonder if they are even serious about the responses.

Also if it a University project, this is not the way to go about it. There should be a clear ethics statement (and ethics approval given), there should be contact details for the student and the supervisor and so on.

Andrew
As a regular commuter I am interested in completing the survey but would like more information as outlined above.

Thanks

Greg
<removed by request>

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 am

1) What Country/City do you live in? Australia

2) What Nationality are you? Australian

3) What age group are you from? 58yo

4) What is your occupation? Business Analyst

5) How long have you bicycle commuted for? 1975-2005 by bike. 2007-Current by unicycle.

6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting? Between 5 and 17km - Between 30 minutes and 1:45

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). Clean suburban and CBD.

8 ) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.) Minimally but expect to be more concerned in the future.

9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide) Minimally but expect to be more concerned in the future.

10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting? No

11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? Balaclava/beanie when cold - keeps face warm, warms up cold air before the lungs (I am unable to breathe much through the nose.)

12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? Never.

13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting? No

14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer? N/R

16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting? Yes, mostly on roads. Not greatly though.

17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). Flashing lights.

18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.) Minimal concerns

19) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection? No
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 am

PPE is short for: personal protection equipment
Last edited by Bruce on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orbea Euskaltel ;Dura-Ace,Ultegra
Orbea Erandio-Hybrid
Catlike helmet

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 am

Bruce wrote:PPE is short for: personal protection equipment
I am a pedant so I will correct that one for you :wink:

PPE is personal protective equipment. PPE can be considered in the following categories, based on the type of protection afforded by the equipment:

2.1 Respiratory protection - eg disposable, cartridge, air line, half or full face
2.2 Eye protection – eg spectacles/goggles, shields, visors
2.3 Hearing Protection – eg ear muffs and plugs
2.4 Hand Protection – eg gloves and barrier creams
2.5 Foot protection – eg shoes/boots
2.6 Head Protection – eg helmets, caps, hoods, hats
2.7 Protection from falls - eg harness and fall arrest devices
2.8 Skin Protection – eg hats, sunburn cream, long sleeved clothes
2.9 Other personal protective equipment - eg protective clothing for cryogenic work or environments with high temperatures.

In the context of cycling sunnies, a helmet and cycling gloves could be considered PPE
<removed by request>

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:39 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: As a regular commuter I am interested in completing the survey but would like more information as outlined above.

Thanks

Greg
Same here, but if the OP won't bother to reply to a few reasonable questions then :roll: :roll: .
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS