Commuting bike with disc brakes and internal hub

damonik

Commuting bike with disc brakes and internal hub

Postby damonik » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi there,
Can anyone help me with pointing me towards any bikes that are sold with an internal hub, front disc brakes and come with the option of drop bars? i.e my dream commuting bike!

Cheers,
Damo
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

damhooligan

Re: Commuting bike with disc brakes and internal hub

Postby damhooligan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:11 pm

damonik wrote:Hi there,
Can anyone help me with pointing me towards any bikes that are sold with an internal hub, front disc brakes and come with the option of drop bars? i.e my dream commuting bike!

Cheers,
Damo
I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but if you wanna buy your dream bike,
you might be better of building it yourself... :D
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm building my own commuter at the moment.
It is going to have a disc on the front, drop bars, but derailleur gearing as I'm not sold on hub gears. Although the frame I'm using (Surly Cross Check) can be used for hub gears.

From what I've seen so far, unless you are tall, you may be limited to cyclocross bikes. If you are tall, you could probably modify a single speed MTB with drop bars and hub gears*.

*The reason for this is MTB frames (especially 29ers) have longer top tubes than road/'cross bikes.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:40 pm

CoMotion Americano Rohloff comes with your feature set plus :mrgreen: belt drive

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:42 pm

RobertFrith wrote:CoMotion Americano Rohloff comes with your feature set plus :mrgreen: belt drive...
Good find, but you forgot the most important bit:
Co-Motion wrote:Complete bicycle
Americano Rohloff complete $5031
I think that is USD too. Very rich for a bike that is going to be ridden in the rain etc.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:55 pm

damonik wrote:Hi there,

Cheers,
Damo
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but at least you could afford them:
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/ ... elite.html

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=honkyinc

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:27 am

Tough one, I think the Kona is about the only option.

Plenty of flat bar option though, Scott Sub 10, Merida Spresso and the bad boy to name a few...
*** insert signature here ***

damonik

Postby damonik » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:14 pm

RobertFrith wrote:CoMotion Americano Rohloff comes with your feature set plus :mrgreen: belt drive
Mmmm, nice.

I'll see if I can refinance the house and buy that....

The search continues, I'd really like drop bars just for battling into the Perth seabreeze on the way home!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Why are the internal hub and disc brakes so important to you? That bike you've commented on is the "dream bike" for you as specified in your original post. However, the price of any of these good internal hub bikes (ie with Rolhoff hub and disc brakes) is going to be similar to that one. You could do better (price-wise) if you opted for a conventional derailleur system. Riding in rain is not often a problem in Perth, so the derailleur system and conventional brakes are well suited to our climate.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Having said that, I did make sure I got discs for my recumbent bike so that I may swap them over for MTB wheels when touring. Nothing beats a 'bent into the Freo Doctor ... ;) )
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

damonik

Postby damonik » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Why are the internal hub and disc brakes so important to you?
I'd like to stop riding my carbon bike with fairly aggressive geometry for my rides to work. With that, I'd like a bike that requires less maintenance, especially in winter (internal hub fits that bill)

Disc brakes.. well that's an obvious one, I'd really like to try brakes that work in the wet :P
Nothing beats a 'bent into the Freo Doctor ... ;) )
I'd going to have to try one of them one day, pretty sure I've seen you a few times riding up freeway south - Does look a lot easier during those gusty evenings home :)

It's just a shame that my 'dream' commuter would cost USS$5100.

I've seen a few sites that sell bar end shifters for the Shimano range of internal hubs, a good option seems to be converting any of the widely available commuters (Merida, Kona, Giant) to a drop bar.

hoboct

Postby hoboct » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:40 am

You can do this (with STI style shifting no less!) with the combination of a Shimano Alfine 8-speed rear gearhub, and a set of Versa 8-speed integrated brake/shift levers. Alfine hubs have a Centerlock spline for a disc brake. For a disc brake caliper that works with the cable pull of road brakes, you can choose between the Avid BB5 and BB7 (Road versions), or Shimano R505.

If you aren't fussed about having integrated brake/shifting, you can get drop bar brake levers that are compatible with V-brake lever pull - in which case any MTB cable disc brake would work for you. Not quite sure how the shifter would fit then, you'd probably need the handlebar extension (mentioned below) similar to mounting the Rohloff shifter.

For a frame to hang it all on, you could use a disc-capable 700c hybrid frame with a chain tensioner. Or if you want to be fancy and have a very clean looking setup, try and find a frame with an EBB or sliding dropouts so you don't need a tensioner. Such frames do exist; outside of going custom, Kona made some a few years back.. older Kona Sutras, and the Kona Exponent frameset ring a bell.

You can also do it with a Rohloff, just the twist shifter at the end of the drop bar (there are little extensions available so it can be mounted there); and of course the hub is a lot more expensive.

There is a company in the US (Dynamic Bicycles) that puts the Alfine-integrated shifter drivetrain together, but they don't equip it with disc brakes.

link to Versa 8-speed shifter: http://www.sussex.com.tw/versa.html you can buy these at a few bike store websites.
Peter
Steel may be real, but even both sides of the Cold War agreed titanium is better

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:00 pm

I don't understand exactly why you would want disc brakes, when a good set of V-brakes and quality brake pads will do a similar job for much cheaper (and less maintenance). You can get an after-market STI lever or a bar-con shifter for Shimano Nexus-8 hubs. I'm eagerly awaiting Shimano's new 11-speed hub.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:05 pm

How much cheaper are good V-brakes than say, Avid BB7's?
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Runjikol wrote:How much cheaper are good V-brakes than say, Avid BB7's?
About a third of the price.

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=31347
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=22385

lang

Postby lang » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:12 pm

hartleymartin wrote:I don't understand exactly why you would want disc brakes, when a good set of V-brakes and quality brake pads will do a similar job for much cheaper (and less maintenance). You can get an after-market STI lever or a bar-con shifter for Shimano Nexus-8 hubs. I'm eagerly awaiting Shimano's new 11-speed hub.
Hey Martin, what do you mean by "bar-con"? Do you mean like what's on that exy CoMotion bike above?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:17 pm

lang wrote:Hey Martin, what do you mean by "bar-con"? Do you mean like what's on that exy CoMotion bike above?
Bar end shifters. They are mounted on the bar end of drop bars and have a lever you move up and down.

18htan

Postby 18htan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Cannondale comes to mind..

Bad Boy 8

Also, maybe not the best for commuting... But I am in love with the Charge Mixer

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:23 pm

lang wrote:
hartleymartin wrote:I don't understand exactly why you would want disc brakes, when a good set of V-brakes and quality brake pads will do a similar job for much cheaper (and less maintenance). You can get an after-market STI lever or a bar-con shifter for Shimano Nexus-8 hubs. I'm eagerly awaiting Shimano's new 11-speed hub.
Hey Martin, what do you mean by "bar-con"? Do you mean like what's on that exy CoMotion bike above?
It's hard to see because it's the same colour as the bar-tape.

This is the Barcon (Bar-Control or Bar-End Shifter) on it's own.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty