Training post wisdom teeth

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
kaz

Training post wisdom teeth

Postby kaz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:22 am

Hi all,

Had all 4 wisdom teeth out under GA on Tuesday and was hoping somebody could inform me when i could start training again. Feeling ok, but still swollen a bit.

Cheers
Kaz

Ant.

Re: Training post wisdom teeth

Postby Ant. » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:09 am

I too will be interested in the responses :)
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:50 am

I had mine out years ago (not with a GA, just in the chair - tuff!) Once the (fantastic) sedatives wore off, the pain kicked in and I wasn't a happy chap for the next week or so - ouch!

Generally, you want to be avoiding infections, not worrying about exercise. However, I don't see how a gentle pootle down the road on a bicycle will hurt. Anything that distracts you from the pain in your mouth/jaw is probably a good thing. Might be a good time to sterilise your drink bottles though.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Just had a wisdom tooth out 4 weeks ago and my suggestion is to take it easy for a week at least.

My extraction's recovery was complicated by "dry socket" (alveolar osteitis), a known complication of wisdom tooth extraction (5-10%), one that's supposedly related to the dislodgement of the initial blood clot. My suffering as a result was 3 weeks of pain, needing up to 4 hourly Panadeine to allow me to get some sleep at night. So with early exercise and all the air sucking and movements, it'll increase the risks of complications. Let it heal and then get back to full training. And trust me, you don't want to go through what I went through.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Depends on the person I expect...I had all mine yanked in the morning and went back to work :lol: .
My only complication was getting a peanut stuck in one of the holes for a couple of days :oops: .

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:14 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Depends on the person I expect...I had all mine yanked in the morning and went back to work :lol: .
My only complication was getting a peanut stuck in one of the holes for a couple of days :oops: .
As for all biological systems, it always depend on the person and chance, one that can't be predicted beforehand. So it comes down to risk analysis whether one wants to chance it. Given the known 5-10% risk of developing a dry socket (post wisdom tooth extraction) and the potential severity of the complication (up to 3 weeks of severe discomfort), it's up to the individual to decide whether the risk is worth it.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

kaz

Postby kaz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks very much for your responses. May wait for a few more days before heading out. Don't want any problems.

Cheers
Kaz

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:50 pm

sogood wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Depends on the person I expect...I had all mine yanked in the morning and went back to work :lol: .
As for all biological systems, it always depend on the person and chance, one that can't be predicted beforehand. So it comes down to risk analysis whether one wants to chance it. Given the known 5-10% risk of developing a dry socket (post wisdom tooth extraction) and the potential severity of the complication (up to 3 weeks of severe discomfort), it's up to the individual to decide whether the risk is worth it.
Given my lifestyle in London at the time I don't think there was much thought about anything at the time... :roll:

PHL

Postby PHL » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:00 am

What sort of surgery did you have (I would assume surgery if under GA); was it a complicated procedure, where a lot of bone had to be removed, and the tooth sectioned? If so, leave it at least a week, ideally 2. If you exert yourself, the increase in blood pressure may cause bleeding, which can in some cases put pressure on the nerve that usually runs close to the lower wisdom teeth (now socket); pressure on the nerve may cause long term or even permanent numbness of your lip (but your surgeon would probably have warned you about that).

kaz

Postby kaz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 am

Hi PHL,

Thanks for your reply. Yes i had surgery, two badly impacted and two easy out. Not sure about how much bone was removed. Heading back to surgeon on Wednesday so will want till i see him. Was hoping to head out sooner but dont want any complications.

Cheers
Kaz

LucaRossi

Postby LucaRossi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm

i got all four of my wisdom teeth out last week,
i started riding daily again after four days (50km distance). if you want your mouth to heal i suggest you rest and allow your body to heal its self, so you could reduce your distance and maybe ride every second day, by doing this the swelling will go down quicker.

hooman

Postby hooman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi guys, as a dentist I think I have extracted literally thousands of teeth, many surgically. Inevitably bone is removed and teeth need to be sectioned. Interestingly, the more the teeth are sectioned, the less bone is removed.
Anyway, it takes on average 2 days for swelling to go up, 2 days to stay there and 2 days to come down. So at least a week of swelling should suggest a week of rest is a good idea. However each case is different. Some of my simplest extractions have caused the most bleeding and a dry socket (nothing dry about it, just looks like dried out bone; in reality it is a bone infection because the blood clot has fallen out.)
So, once the bleeding completely subsides, give it a few days rest and resume when you feel well, you will know when that is. The worst thing is that you will bleed if you start too soon. It won't kill you. Just let your dentist or surgeon know if you bleed, don't ignore it.

Regards, Hooman
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

hkgts

Postby hkgts » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 am

Had all four of mine out under GA last yr and you can pretty much write off the 1st 4 days.. If you have anti inflammatories you can keep swelling down, it then comes down to energy levels, mine were low for a week and a half, but I still went for a light ride on day 5 and built up from there