India

jaykay

India

Postby jaykay » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:24 pm

hey,

I am planning to spend a couple of months in India either late this year or early next and I have been thinking about the prospect of doing some riding over there.
Is this something anyone here has attempted and if so how'd you go?
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

misterpms

Re: India

Postby misterpms » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:44 pm

I haven't tried cycling there, the traffic is crazy.

Where are you planning on going ?
2009 Trek 2.3
2008 Avanti Blade 8

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Fly into Bangalore, up to Mumbai, across to Kolkata, Nepal and up to New Delhi. I figured the traffic situation would be wild, but pretty much any type of traffic will be cracy there. :D
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

Ed

Postby Ed » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi,
I went to India for a wedding a few years ago and whilst it was an amazing experience there are a number of reasons I wouldn't ride a bike on the roads there.

The air in New Delhi is very polluted filled with smog and smoke. Breathing become difficult - i was there in November. We hired a 4WD with a driver with the aircon on the whole time to filter the air.

The traffic is crazy, the only rule is there are no rules. For example, on any road or motorway, scooters and motorbikes speed in the breakdown lane. On one occasion, our driver missed an exit on a motorway so instead of taking the next exit, he turns around and starts driving at 80km/h in the breakdown in the opposite direction to the traffic - with the oncoming scooters dodging out of our way!

Having said all that, this is an article about a group riding unicycles through India http://www.geoffreyhuntley.com/

Cheers,
Ed
Scott Speedster S40

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm

I figured it would probably be a disaster, your feedback correlates with what my friends have been telling me. I think its best I make my way around in a tank! haha

Unicycling around India...gold
!
GT Sport

nasz

Postby nasz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:43 pm

I cycled from the Pakistan border to Delhi and across to Calcutta on the great trunk road. I would never, ever do it again! Worse place I have ever cycled - plus the food was really sh-t.

Roads in the north are terrible, the locals fairly dodgy, the food very unhygenic and the congestion on the main roads pretty bad. Oh, also got hit by an ambulance, which was driving the wrong way up the road with no lights on! Did he stop! No!

Made the Sahara and places like Nigeria seem like paradise lost.

Was told that the intelligent cyclist rides in the South, the idiot rides in the North - how true!

http://www.mrpumpy.net/rides/9-india-so ... dia-1.html

Bit out of date, but still relevant.
Cycled across West Africa
4 times across the Sahara
All over Europe
Cycled from London to Sydney by recumbent

Events:
Liege Bastogne Liege 07
Tilff Bastogne Tilff 07
Maratona dles Dolemites 07/08
Tour of Flanders 08
Tour of Ireland 07/08

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback; my cycling idea was more of a flight of fancy anyway. I am going to stick with trains and buses. Can’t wait to spend 3-4 months in that crazy country!
GT Sport

tourdottk

Postby tourdottk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:49 am

You know what INDIA stands for?
I never do it again.
Cycling or otherwise.
Ali (happy in Peru) :D

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 pm

tourdottk wrote:You know what INDIA stands for?
I never do it again.
Cycling or otherwise.
haha, well I have to try it to not do it again. :wink:
GT Sport

nasz

Postby nasz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:21 pm

tourdottk wrote:You know what INDIA stands for?
I never do it again.
Cycling or otherwise.
Love it, totally agree! Would rather return to cycle through war-torn Ethiopa or Nigeria than India.
All over Europe

Events:
Liege Bastogne Liege 07
Tilff Bastogne Tilff 07
Tour of Flanders 08
Tour of Ireland 07/08

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:28 pm

LOL

For saftey reasons I would not suggest going across India in a 4WD (like I did), I don't think I need to translate that to bike relevant advice...
*** insert signature here ***

noelbike

Postby noelbike » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:14 am

I am new to this forum and wish I could have commented earlier. India is a fantastic country for cycle touring. My experience is that the South is best and I ride there every year. I first went in the 1970s. Just back from a 1,600k 2 week trip on the Deccan. I always go with 1 or 2 friends and every trip is a delight.

nasz

Postby nasz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 pm

As I was once told...

The sensible cyclist rides his bike in the South, the idiot cyclist rides his bike in the North.

The two are almost extreme opposites unfortunately. I was idiotic enough to cycle the North :-(
All over Europe

Events:
Liege Bastogne Liege 07
Tilff Bastogne Tilff 07
Tour of Flanders 08
Tour of Ireland 07/08

deryans

Postby deryans » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 pm

I was in Kerala last year for Business for a few weeks, and I distinctly saw a group of 3 maybe 4 chaps on road bikes in purple gear/jerseys + helmets riding along the road on Trivandrum, when I asked the driver who the were, he told me that the local Uni had a pretty good sports pedigree.

They (cyclists) did look a little "amongst the melee" if you've experienced Indian traffic
1996 Ellis Briggs Rosa/Green steel 8 speed campag athena, '96 Shamals 12 HPW
2007 Giant Bowery commuter

RodneyOlsen

Postby RodneyOlsen » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:07 pm

I've cycled in India a couple of times and would head back in a heartbeat.

I rode with locals so I was able to follow their lead but I've cycled from Agra (home of the Taj Mahal) to Delhi and from Delhi to Chandigarh. I've also done a fair bit of cycling around Delhi.

The people were great and the food was amazing.

Yes, the traffic is crazy, but it does move a little slower there so you do have a chance to weave your way through the chaos.
Image Image

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I am really keen on exploring India on a bike for at least a small part of my time their and it sounds like a pretty eye opening way of seeing a country.
GT Sport

lacticacid

Postby lacticacid » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 am

jaykay wrote:Thanks for the feedback chaps. I am really keen on exploring India on a bike for at least a small part of my time their and it sounds like a pretty eye opening way of seeing a country.
Did you end up getting there jakay? I am tossing up about going at the end of this year.... Some nice MTB spots in Kerala apparently... and Air Asia=cheep cheep!!

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:21 pm

leaving in a month -circa $500 one way with tiger/getstar. Actually heading to Kerala within the first couple of weeks.
GT Sport

lacticacid

Postby lacticacid » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

jaykay wrote:leaving in a month -circa $500 one way with tiger/getstar. Actually heading to Kerala within the first couple of weeks.
Apparently there are some good singletrail rides on the hillside tea plantations in Kerala, which sounds fun. Not sure if you can do it independently though, or whether it has to be an organised thing with a group.

Spinning Tam

Postby Spinning Tam » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Take earplugs! They like to use the horn like an Aussie likes a beer in the afternoon.

Didn't cycle there myself however did meet people who were. They said that everyone waves from the roadside and passing cars and that cars speed ahead telling the next village that a cyclist is comming. By the time they arrived the whole village was out to meet them!

Take everything you need or want as you'll not be able to get a thing of any quality anywhere.

Good luck!

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Apparently there are some good singletrail rides on the hillside tea plantations in Kerala, which sounds fun. Not sure if you can do it independently though, or whether it has to be an organised thing with a group.[/quote]

Niice, I am heading over to Kerala. will deff check that out - thanks for the heads up.
GT Sport

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Spinning Tam wrote:Take earplugs! They like to use the horn like an Aussie likes a beer in the afternoon.

Didn't cycle there myself however did meet people who were. They said that everyone waves from the roadside and passing cars and that cars speed ahead telling the next village that a cyclist is comming. By the time they arrived the whole village was out to meet them!

Take everything you need or want as you'll not be able to get a thing of any quality anywhere.

Good luck!
So far I am thinking of buying a junker in a place that I like and check it out on two wheels, other than that I think I will stay away from riding on the roads.
GT Sport

croonneck

Postby croonneck » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Spinning Tam wrote:Take earplugs! They like to use the horn like an Aussie likes a beer in the afternoon.
+1

Yeah Indians do use the horn like crazy, I should know. After spending most of my life in India, I should know :) When I came to Australia, it almost felt too quiet, especially here in Wollongong
jaykay wrote:
So far I am thinking of buying a junker in a place that I like and check it out on two wheels, other than that I think I will stay away from riding on the roads.
Thats the best idea.The bikes you get in India are mostly steel frames and with rubbish components, but you could probably manage with those for small commutes. The road conditions are not great, except maybe in cities,Definitely not worth spending too much money on a decent road bike and you cant get parts too easily. I've sent you a PM about a place in Bangalore where you can get Trek bikes. The prices are comparable to what you would pay in Australia.

Grace Johnson

Postby Grace Johnson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:34 pm

South India has some great cycling. We used the Rough Guide map to South India which showed a lot of small back roads so we almost never ended up having to cycle on a main road.
BicycleTraveler is a free digital magazine on international bicycle touring. www.bicycletraveler.nl

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:22 pm

hey all,
thanks for your info about India and the pic (amazing!)

So far after fours months hear I can honestly say it has been a life changing experience.

Peace
GT Sport